SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not so fast on showing of "Stolen Honor"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Not so fast on showing of "Stolen Honor"? Reply with quote

From Sinclair's website...

Quote:
We welcome your comments regarding the upcoming special news event featuring the topic of Americans held as prisoners of war in Vietnam. The program has not been videotaped and the exact format of this unscripted event has not been finalized. Characterizations regarding the content are premature and are based on ill-informed sources.

Massachusetts Senator John Kerry has been invited to participate. You can urge him to appear by calling his Washington, D.C. campaign headquarters at
(202) 712-3000.

Link to Sinclair's site.

Huh?????
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is no date on this info, I believe that
it is old. The deal is in the works, otherwise the
DNC would NOT be filing a complaint against
Sinclair. Wink

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good I hope that you're right Sooz!
Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m feeling pretty danged optimistic. SBVT has severely hurt Kerry´s chances up to now. The planned ads that are coming and the Sinclair broadcast of the "Stolen Honor" piece will be the one-two knock-out punch. If the subscribers of "Army Times" are 4-to-1 against Kerry, it´s not a stretch of the imagination to assume that this proportion applies to ALL active, retired, and ex-naval and -military voters. And what percentage of the national vote might this indicate? What about their families? If even half of them share their sons´ and daughters´ opinions, it will be a slaughter.

Yep. I´m feeling pretty danged optimistic!!!

Dane
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some additional info along the same lines from the AP;

Quote:
Today: October 11, 2004 at 12:08:30 PDT

Dems Oppose Plan to Air Anti-Kerry Film
By LIZ SIDOTI
ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) -

The Democratic Party and 18 senators are objecting to a broadcasting company's plan to air on 62 TV stations a critical documentary about John Kerry's anti-war activities after he returned home from Vietnam three decades ago.

Sinclair Broadcast Group has asked its television stations - many of them in competitive states in the presidential election - to pre-empt regular programming to run the documentary as part of an hourlong program two weeks before the Nov. 2 election.

Based near Baltimore, the company owns or manages affiliates of major broadcast networks in several states, including Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania.

Mark Hyman, a vice president of corporate relations for Sinclair who also is a conservative commentator for the company, said Monday the show would contain some or all of the 42-minute film as well as a panel discussion of some sort. He said final details had not been worked out.

The documentary, called "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," chronicles Kerry's 1971 testimony before Congress and links him to activist and actress Jane Fonda. It includes interviews with Vietnam prisoners of war and their wives who claim that Kerry's testimony - filled with "lurid fantasies of butchery in Vietnam" on the part of U.S. troops - demeaned them and led their captors to hold them longer.

The Democratic National Committee planned to file a complaint with the Federal Election Commission on Tuesday contending that Sinclair's airing of the film should be considered an illegal in-kind contribution to President Bush's campaign. Also, 18 Democratic senators sent a letter to the Federal Communication Commission asking that it investigate whether Sinclair's plan was an improper use of public airwaves.

However, Sinclair's Hyman said, "The documentary is just a part of a special news event that we're putting together. We've invited one person to be a guest. That's Senator John Kerry." The company posted a note on its Web site Monday afternoon urging people to call Kerry's headquarters to urge his participation.

Chad Clanton, a Kerry campaign spokesman, said, "Everything is on the table but it's hard to take an offer seriously from a group with such a fierce partisan agenda, a group that's clearly not interested in the truth."

Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe said the company was acting as a mouthpiece for the Republican Party rather than a legitimate news outlet.

"In this election cycle, they have put their money where their right-wing mouths are," he said. "Sinclair's owners aren't interested in news. They're interested in pro-Bush propaganda."

Campaign finance records show that the company's executives have donated thousands of dollars to Bush's campaign. In April, the company was in the news for refusing to run a "Nightline" show in which hundreds of names of American troops killed in Iraq were read by ABC anchor Ted Koppel.

Hyman called the allegations about the documentary "absolutely absurd."

"Would they suggest that our reporting a car bomb in Iraq is an in-kind contribution to the Kerry campaign? Would they suggest that our reporting on job losses is an in-kind contribution to the Kerry campaign?" he said. "It's the news. It is what it is. We're reporting the news."

Carlton Sherwood, a Vietnam veteran and former journalist who made the film, said Monday that he felt the media had not explored the period of Kerry's life after he returned from Vietnam, including when he testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee alleging atrocities in Vietnam.

"For 33 years, we've been saying that how Kerry portrayed us was utterly false. It was purgatory of the worst kind. It was slander," Sherwood said. "But no one wanted to talk about it. Everybody ran for cover."

Sherwood, based in Harrisburg, Pa., said the film took six weeks to make, and Sinclair contacted him last month upon the film's completion. He said he was told last week of the company's plans to run it, and that the company was not compensating him for the film.

Source - Here
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: NOTWITHSTANDING "CONSERTIVE" TALKSHOW MAN. Reply with quote

IF THE ECOMONY IS SO BAD AND THEY ARE SO UNABLE TO GET THIER

"BIAS MESSAGE OUT"

WHY SO MUCH 527 DEMO MONEY AVAIABLE, (BAD ECOMONY?????)

DAN BLATHER GONE ON VACATION,

LITTLE "CARPIE" CURRICK LOST HER SPEECH

THE NIT LIE GUY GOT , WHAT, COWARD'S WAY GONE

NBC

CBS

ABC

MSNBC

PBS

ALL OUT TO LUNCH AND THEY JUST CAN NOT LIE ENOUGH

MABY THEY DO NEED "ALL/GREASY/TV IN THE MIX ALSO

AND FOR GOOD MESURE, THE FRENCH MEDIA AND THE BBC

GOOD GOD THEY ARE PLUM NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pressing on! AP is notorious for spinning a story.
I still believe this will happen, and even if they have to
call the documentary "information" rather than news?

Email Sinclair, email newspapers in the cities where
Sinclair has stations. HAVE YOU EMAILED YOUR OPPINION
TODAY? Wink

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12414

Come on gang! We can do it! Go team GO!!

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a note to the Sinclair Group station in my area:

Quote:
Just read that Sinclair Broadcast Group stations will be showing the documentary on Vietnam War Veterans and POWs/MIAs. Since I'm boycotting CBS for Dan Rather's continuous corrupt reporting, I won't see it advertised. Would appreciate knowing if and when it will be shown so I can adjust my boycott and get your good local news, weather and local programming once again. The network is a lost cause for the foreseeable future, but your station is not.

I got an immediate reply that it will be shown Sat. Oct 23 at 8 pm.

So now I can at least watch the local news, which I can't get from FNC Smile

Kat
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Not so fast on showing of "Stolen Honor"? Reply with quote

flagreen wrote:
From Sinclair's website...

Quote:
We welcome your comments regarding the upcoming special news event featuring the topic of Americans held as prisoners of war in Vietnam. The program has not been videotaped and the exact format of this unscripted event has not been finalized. Characterizations regarding the content are premature and are based on ill-informed sources.

Massachusetts Senator John Kerry has been invited to participate. You can urge him to appear by calling his Washington, D.C. campaign headquarters at
(202) 712-3000.

Link to Sinclair's site.

Huh?????

If you go to this link you can email Sinclair and tell them that you'll support them, their programming and their advertisers if they run Stolen Honor...

Sleepless
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need someone to catalog all the stations (and frequencies) that will be broadcasting this piece along with the dates and times.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who on the Swiftvet/POW team got this in the works, but it deserves a rousing
BRAVO ZULU !!
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be shown here in AZ, but I sent Sinclair a 'thank you' anyway.... for making it possible for so many others to be able to view the film.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
ashter
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not going to be viewed in your area, get the word out that you can watch it PPV for $4.99 from the Stolen Honor website.

http://www.stolenhonor.com/
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Tried to get Kerry on the phone Reply with quote

I've tried to call Kerry's campaign office but the voicemail box is apparently fool. What you need to do is just try an extension, 3231 or whatever to get to somebody, after you use the main number.
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you go to this link you can email Sinclair and tell them that you'll support them, their programming and their advertisers if they run Stolen Honor...

Sleepless

Good idea. I've sent my thanks via email. I'm looking forward to seeing it aired here in Tampa Florida.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: