SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry is not eligible for the NUC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subsailor 2
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Kerry is not eligible for the NUC Reply with quote

Kerry's DD-215 (2001) awards him the Navy Unit Commendation. The only NUC authorized during Kerry's tour was to COSDIV-11 for actions 7 NOV 68 to 17 DEC 68. According to the COSDIV-11 history. Kerry arrived at An Thoi on 9 DEC and left 13 DEC. During that period he was not involved in any operations. SECNAVINST1650.1C is very specific about the criteria for the NUC and Kerry is disqualified by both his failure to participate in operations and because his assignment was temporary.

The 1971 picture of Kerry found at:

http://www.boston.com/globe/nation/packages/kerry/images/day3/01.htm

shows him wearing the NUC even though it is not listed on his 1970 DD-214. It also shows him wearing two marksmanship awards for which there is no documentation (see "Caught by the camera" in this section). This clearly casts doubt on Kerry's veracity relative to the rest of his awards.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the USS Gridley awarded a NUC during Kerry's tour?
subsailor 2
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gridley did not receive a NUC whle Kerry served on her. Here is the URL for the Gridley's awards:

http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/o1650/encl3shipg.pdf
llano
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, technically he was eligible because of the incident where he "earned" his first PH by wounding himself.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llano wrote:
Maybe, technically he was eligible because of the incident
where he "earned" his first PH by wounding himself.

Wrong Swift Boat Division. This "non-award" was refused at CosDiv 14

But he may keep on trying

It would be just like Kerry to eventually find someone naive enough to
believe he deserves a unit citation medal for a unit he didn't serve with

Last edited by rbshirley on Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
rikkoshay
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Kerry's wearing of ribbons on fatigues (sp?) made him be 'out of uniform'. (and on that point, was he wearing a Navy officers uniform? I recall seeing officers in kahkis as their working uniform... green was Army..?) Obviously he didn't care about honor or obeying military regs or anything at all. More than likely some little groupy dweb who ironed his uniform (was it ironed? I think it's rather rumpled...not 4.0), and groveled at his feet to shine his shoes grabbed some of the medals out of the bag of medals and ribbons they had picked up at local Army Navy stores for tossing over the fence, and stuck some on his shirt. Amazing that they are over the correct pocket. (hmmm.... maybe it was the same guy who makes his pbj sandwiches on demand now... grin)

This post of mine has no pretense of trying to stick to chronological events concerning his testimony and any other marches of wintersoldier and anti america activities. Just wanted to vent and agree with you.

Over all though that is another interesting legal point that could be used after his defeat to support possible document manipulation. Good attention to detail there!
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I read somewhere that Kerry's wearing of ribbons on fatigues (sp?) made him be 'out of uniform'. (and on that point, was he wearing a Navy officers uniform? I recall seeing officers in kahkis as their working uniform... green was Army..?)

SeaBees (they are part of the Navy - or were the last time I checked - even though the USMC sometimes claims them as USMC wannabes), stevedores, ALL USN officers and CPO's serving ex-CONUS with the USMC, amphibious navy who actually go ashore with the USMC (the Little Creek and Coronado guys), SEALS aboard Coronado, etc -- utility greens.
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - we had a SysCom "VTU" Reserve Unit that actually got the NUC (or some unit award) for - catch this - testing gaskets for use around the deck house to limit corrosion of the aluminum deckhouse. They had hundreds of these little "sandwiches" of steel/test gasket material/aluminum in little Mason jars of sea water. No sea story. The local Naval Reserve Readiness Com made a big PR thing out of it.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His FitRep for period 12/6/68-12/13/68 shows he reported to COSDIV-11 12/8/69. All FitRep categories show "Not Observed".

His FitRep for period 12/14/68-03/26/69 shows he reported to COSDIV-11
12/14/68.

Am i reading the FitReps right ? If so, would he be eligible for the NUC based on this second period ?

If I'm reading these FitReps wrong, what am I missing ?

thanx for any clarity
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you serve in a unit in the time period for which it receives a unit award such as the Navy Unit Commendation, you are entiltled to the award, even if you did not personaly participate in events that earned the unit the award. Only a cheap rate-grabber would go out of his way to claim such an award, though. For instance, I am entitled to both the NUC and the MUC for TEMDU in USS EDSON (DD-946) inbetween NAVOCS and SWOS Basic in 1979, but it would never occur to me to actually claim these awards, since not only did I not participate, but I was totally unaware of events leading to the award. Such was the case with Kerry and COSDIV 11 in DEC68.
subsailor 2
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a collector of navy medals and decorations for 39 years and have copies of the source documents for all navy awards. I even have SECNAVINST 1650.1C (The operative version when Kerry served. The current verison identical). The instruction is very specific about the award requirements. For example, if you were TEMDU to the ship because you had specific skills and you participated in the action then you qualify. A good example would be the intelligence guys that rode submarines on special operations. They were not ships company but they had skills required for the mission (read Blind Man's Bluff) so if a PUC or NUC were awarded they shared in it. I was TEMDU on the USS Saratoga in 1970 when she earned a MUC and I do not qualify because I was basically a passenger.

Kerry checked in and 4 days later checked out. The new found histories show no ops, patrols etc for him during those 4 days. Since he did not contribute to the operations that earned COSDIV-11 the NUC, he does not meet the particpation element of SECNAVINST 1650.1C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: