SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. O'Neill - From my 18yr old re: Ted Koppel/ABCNightLine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justamom
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Mr. O'Neill - From my 18yr old re: Ted Koppel/ABCNightLine Reply with quote

What an honor and privilege it was for my children and myself to FINALLY get to see you on television tonight. We do not have cable (as a matter fact, we have only a 13" with rabbit ear antennae) so we haven't been able to watch any of your appearances - heck, if the wind's blowing we can't watch anything!

Anyway, my son is 18 years old and has been following you and the other Swift Boat Veterans since he first learned of you all through a World Net Daily article. It's been amazing to witness, he's been frustrated with the constant "blocks", smears, and blatant lies regarding your charges against Mr. Kerry and shouted to the mountain tops with joy at each of your victories.

He was appalled at what he witnessed tonight on NightLine, as were each of us. We were so excited for the chance to see you "debate" the mainstream media only to be absolutely disgusted by what we witnessed.

There was one thing in particular that Matthew wanted to tell you:

When Ted Koppel asked you who you thought those Americans were that were over there recently questioning these "peasants" and telling them about Kerry's run for the Presidency and his not deserving his medals - insinuating, in our opinion, that it was the Swift Boat Veterans - this is the answer Matthew suggested:

Obviously, our mainstream media has tried relentlessly to stigmatize these veterans and find some way to discredit their allegations. Therefore, isn't it more likely that the Americans who went over there, questioning those villagers, were actually reporters from our mainstream media fishing around, hoping to land an interview or a story that would "seemingly" to do just that - as Ted Koppel implied - present a more objective recollection by individuals that have no interest and nothing to gain? (Provided you trust the translations provided by ABC)

#1 - All the media ever had to do was pressure Kerry to sign form 180 and release his full service records so that they could prove the veterans wrong and put an end to the controversy.
>WHY didn't they do that?
>WHY don't they do that now?

#2 - Considering how long you all have been at this (presenting these allegations, demanding Kerry sign the 180, etc.) while being ignored (for the most part) by mainstream media -
>WHY did they do this piece NOW and not earlier?
>Was this an effort to cast doubt/discredit all veterans and POW's opposing Kerry due to the overwhelming public interest in viewing the broadcast of Sinclair's "Stolen Honor"?

#3 - WHY DID ABC NEWS NIGHTLINE AND TED KOPPEL INSIST THAT THESE "PEASANTS" - THE COMMUNIST ENEMY THAT KILLED/WOUNDED SO MANY OF OUR YOUNG MEN - WERE MORE HONEST AND HAD BETTER MEMORIES THAN THE BRAVE AMERICAN MEN WHO FOUGHT AND PROTECTED EVERY ONE OF US? THIS IS REPULSIVE!

#4 - Several of the individuals ("peasants") appeared to be younger than me! which would mean that they would have been no more than two or three years old during the Vietnam War!!!!!
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the point.
Meaningful.
Honest.
Sagacious.
and deserving of an answer.

And you expect that from Ted Kopple?
IamHG
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All the media ever had to do was pressure Kerry to sign form 180

This should be the focus from now till election time.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamHG wrote:
Quote:
All the media ever had to do was pressure Kerry to sign form 180

This should be the focus from now till election time.

The interview portion transcript is over in the transcripts thread. But I wonder that the real questions, particularly for 'bloggers', might not be the first segment. What was asked, in context? What did they actually say in Vietnamese, in reply?

I'm not suggesting Koppel got it essentially wrong. It wouldn't surprize me that they said what he said they said. That's in fact the present complaint - they HAVE a motive. Kerry's a hero of the revolution, and minders were watching all the time.

But I just wonder what they actually said that was even captured on film for the broadcast. Apparently the video is also available for download. I haven't got it, yet, so don't know if it's the entire broadcast. But in any case, I don't speak Vietnamese. I can read the 'tourist word' and pronunciation guide from the era, which was for the military. But that's it. How to pronouce - river, canal, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: