SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Truegrit Poll Reports from Harvard Square

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Truegrit Poll Reports from Harvard Square Reply with quote

To those of you following the Truegrit Street Survey, you'll be interested to know that I just got back from 2 hours in Harvard Square, in Cambridge, Massachusetts -- heart of Kerry country. Some refer to Cambridge as the People's Republic of Cambridge because of its leftwing politics (the east coast twin to Berkeley, in the S.F. bay area).

I stood at three different spots with my sign, which reads: "Kerry is Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief" on one side. On the reverse, it reads: "Kerry's Smear Campaign. John Kerry Falsely Accused Vietnam Veterans of War Crimes in 1971. Kerry is Unfit to Lead U.S."

I was surprised at the very high percentage of thumbs up and honks, which indicate approval of my message. I would say that the ratio was about an even break out -- 50% favoring my message, 50% opposed, based on visible, overt behaviors (thumb signs, shakes of the head, scowls, or vocalizations). To be candid, a methodologically rigorous survey would probably find more Kerry support. Still, there were quite a few people who came up to me, thanked me for what I was doing, and took my literature. Some said they thought it took some nerve! I explained that I went with my sign where I thought it was most needed -- and it was needed at the doorstep of the Kennedy School and right in the middle of Harvard Square.

One ex-Marine, a student at the Kennedy School, was grateful that I was there with my message. I spoke with a Divinity School student at length, and I think I persuaded him of why Kerry is unfit.

I had a couple of nasty in-my-face exchanges. There was one bedraggled guy, -- ragged, stringy hair and sandals -- something from the 60's that didn't hatch correctly. He looked like maybe he might go out of control and got literally in my face. "Did you serve in Vietnam?" I told him, no, I was in Germany and my service was before Nam. "What about the free fire zones, what about that? What about over one million Vietnamese killed, what about that war crime." He lapsed into incoherence. I kept my eyes on his hands. He eventually left, as did one other, angry street corner discussant.

Several people took photos -- probably a novelty they'll discuss with their relatives and friends when they return to Singapore, or Kansas, or wherever. "Can you believe this?" they'll say, "Right in the middle of Harvard Square -- with all those pointy-heads"

Truegrit Street Survey Methodology:

Thumbs up or positive head shake (with smile, not scowl) is taken as a vote against Kerry and a vote in favor of my anti-Kerry message. Thumbs down, scowls and angry side-to-side head shakes are taken as a pro-Kerry message. Probably I should count flipped fingers as something, but it's hard for me to be sure whether these "flipped birds" are meant for me or Kerry. I treat them like a hanging chad -- nullified votes.

Last edited by Truegrit on Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
2ndamendsis
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOC, I've been waiting with baited breath for this survey Very Happy

You made it through Harvard Square without being physically accosted.... WAY TO GO {I was just a little worried, lol} The fact that you received such a high percentage of positives is a great sign that the enemy hasn't completely absorbed into their abyss the minds of the people!!

Wink You're such a good example of courage & determination Wink
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Ted!
I'm going out at 4 this afternoon to an intersection thats going to be football busy, I wont be alone. Everyone is going to have go Bush signs but thats expected.
I need an idea or slogan that will demean kerry, short-sweet-sharp, maybe like"kerry murdered children". ideas? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go!!
For you people unfamiliar with Cambridge, Ma., the good Doctor is dead on its nickname and reasons for it. It has been known as the "PRC" for as long as I can remember. Not the kind of place that welcomes Conservative or even moderate viewpoints openly.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3,

This is probably too long, but I was thinking something along the lines of: Kerry's Global Test: Meet with the enemy in Paris, and recommend their plan to the US. ---

Problem with this is most people dont know about Paris meeting with the North Vietnamese in Paris 1970/1971.
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been hang out at Harvard Square for five years, and tell you what: the good doctor is a brave guy!! Kudos!! I talk several times to some friends up there, in Boston, and they said that most people they encountered haven't made up their mind yet. I think if there is "positive October surprise" MA could be a tight race.
WSue
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mind's gone blank on who on this board uses this poster slogan....but it is my favorite:

John Kerry....Betraying America since 1971!!!

Sue
28 years Navy Wife, RET
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If MA is anything but a Kerry/Edwards blowout, the Johns are doomed.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a blowout for Kerry here. Remember he barely beat out Bill Weld in his last re-election campaign for Senate.
Not too many people are too crazy about Kerry. I have seen a few Bumper Stickers etc.. I have seen a lot of Bush/Cheney signs and stickers around also.
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
Great post Ted!
I'm going out at 4 this afternoon to an intersection thats going to be football busy, I wont be alone. Everyone is going to have go Bush signs but thats expected.
I need an idea or slogan that will demean kerry, short-sweet-sharp, maybe like"kerry murdered children". ideas? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

How about : "Terrorists say "Anybody but Bush"

or : Kerry says "I have a plan"
Terrorists say "So do we. President Kerry"
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, Ted.

I'm still laughing at the "hanging chads!" Very Happy
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably a good 10% of those kids are named Chad Smile

Way to go - you brave soul! There is a place outside of DC here called Tacoma Park, maryland/DC. Nothing but tree huggers with protest signs in virtually every yard. One day I was in a 7-Eleven there and had words with a moron in a Go Kerry t-shirt that starting telling everyone in line how great Kerry is. I asked him a few questions about kerry's past that he had no clue about, totally uninformed. This Asian old man comes out from in the back and starts chanting 'go Bush! go Bush!' His son behind the counter proceeds to tell us that his dad loves Bush, that Bush 41 gave him his citizenship. The big mouth in line decided to leave the store.
Very Happy
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should give you an award - thanks for the update and great work. Very Happy
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WSue wrote:
My mind's gone blank on who on this board uses this poster slogan....but it is my favorite:

John Kerry....Betraying America since 1971!!!

Sue
28 years Navy Wife, RET

Laughing That would be me. I took it down tody because I was posting so much in the Guardian thread. I would be honored if anyone chose to use it.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeshero wrote:
I had been hang out at Harvard Square for five years, and tell you what: the good doctor is a brave guy!! Kudos!!

Let me add mine to the list. You are one brave man. We need more American men like you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: