SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Et tu, Fox?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac's Mom
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Et tu, Fox? Reply with quote

To our dismay we've all witnessed the level to which the MSM is biased in favor of John Kerry's bid for the Presidency ~ we've come to realize that it is probably really foolish to expect fair or impartial reporting from the lot of them.

Like many of you I have held fast to the hope that the Fox network might at least provide a more critical look into what isn't being reported on the other news networks.

It saddens (and sickens) me to say I no longer have faith that Fox will be championing truth to any large degree with regard to the 2004 elections!

Check out this article:

Quote:
Big Media For Kerry
By Cliff Kincaid  |  October 15, 2004

A full-page anti-Bush ad in the New York Times on September 23, paid for by the Democratic National Committee, was signed by a number of corporate executives, including those who run Miramax Film Corporation. They placed the anti-Bush film Fahrenheit 9/11 in movie theaters. But you might be surprised to learn that one of the signers was Peter Chernin, president and chief operating officer of News Corp., the parent company of Fox News.

This fact gives the lie to the frequent left-wing claim that the people who run News Corp. are ardent Republicans who are using Fox News as a vehicle to help the GOP. We think Fox News provides a needed and necessary alternative to the liberal news outlets. But it would be a mistake to conclude, therefore, that it is an organ of the Republican Party. Fox News is run by corporate executives who know how to make money but whose own personal and political views may be far to the left of the guests you may hear or see on this cable news channel.

The signers of the ad represent some of the big movers and shakers in corporate America, especially the entertainment industry. The signers include executives representing Sony Music; Warner Music; Viacom, the parent company of CBS; Black Entertainment Television; Time Warner; Sony Motion Pictures; Westwood One Media Company; Nickelodeon Networks; Emmis Communications; Inner City Broadcasting; and Yahoo.

Chernin of News Corps. is a major fundraiser for Kerry and contributor to the Democratic Party. An examination of records on file at the Federal Election Commission shows that he has given almost $70,000 in political contributions, the vast majority of that to Democrats. In June he gave $25,000 to the Democratic National Committee. Writing in Broadcasting & Cable magazine about Bill O'Reilly's announcement that he may vote for John Kerry, reporter John Eggerton said it would put him in political step with one of his big bosses, none other than Chernin. Some think, however, that O'Reilly made that announcement because he was trying to entice Kerry on his show for an interview.

Michael Goodwin of the NewYork Daily News notes that Chernin not only has endorsed John Kerry but called Bush's education policy "a joke." Goodwin commented, "The event drew little outrage because Fox is seen as tilting to the right, so Chernin was given a pass. But the problem is not whether a media boss tilts left or right. Tilting either way should be a no-no." Chernin not only tilts to the left but advertises this fact.

After he publicly endorsed Kerry, Chernin appeared on—where else?—the Fox News Channel, where he insisted that the company would benefit from a Kerry presidency because Kerry would "do a good job moving our economy forward." There was speculation that Fox Home Video would distribute the DVD release of Michael Moore's anti-Bush film Fahrenheit 9/11. That didn't happen. But Fox Home Video is distributing the pro-Clinton DVD, The Hunting of the President, which attacks conservatives for holding Clinton accountable for his sexual and other scandals.

Cliff Kincaid is the Editor of the AIM Report and can be reached ateditor@aim.org.

additionally, there is this from back in July of this year:

Quote:

New York Times (registation required)
July 12, 2004
News Corp. Donors Show Bipartisan Spirit in Presidential Politics ~ by MARK GLASSMAN

What do Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Brit Hume have in common? They all work under a Democratic fund-raiser.

Peter Chernin, president and chief operating officer of the News Corporation, parent of the Fox Network, has made contributions to John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

"I don't think it's any secret that I am a Democratic supporter," Mr. Chernin said.

He has some company. Gary L. Ginsberg, an executive vice president of News Corporation, has also contributed to Mr. Kerry.

News Corporation is "a company with diverse interests," Mr. Chernin said.

Perhaps more diverse than many Democrats imagined. As of June 1, employees of the News Corporation and their families had given almost $350,000 in campaign contributions, 60 percent of which went to Democrats, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. At least four Fox executives have given money to Mr. Kerry's campaign.

The executives, of course, answer to Rupert Murdoch, the chairman and chief executive of the News Corporation. The Fox cable channel has developed a reputation - which it denies - as one of the more right-leaning news organizations on television. News Corporation is also the owner of The New York Post and publishes The Weekly Standard, two publications with a conservative bent.

But Mr. Chernin said work and politics hardly mixed at the company. "I think it's simplistic to say that the company has some sort of political litmus test," he said.

Mr. Chernin gave $2,000 to Mr. Kerry, the maximum allowed during the primary campaign. He has held fund-raising lunches on Mr. Kerry's behalf. And he defended Mr. Kerry's business policies in a conference
call with other executives last week. Mr. Ginsberg gave $1,500 to Mr. Kerry. (Mr. Murdoch has given $25,000 to the Republican National Committee.)

Eric Alterman, a journalism professor at Brooklyn College and the author of "What Liberal Media?" said there was little reason to make assumptions about the politics of Mr. Murdoch or his colleagues based solely on the content of his media conglomerate, adding that Mr. Murdoch's primary interest is to produce a popular product. "It's not that bizarre," he said.

Mr. Alterman, a media columnist for The Nation, even suggested that if Mr. Kerry were to win the presidency, viewers may begin to see a different sort of Fox News, but he stopped short of saying the network would move far to the left. "I don't think that Fox is going to start sounding like 'The Nation,' '' he said.

*sigh* ~ good ol' Fox News is actually run by corporate executives who are card-carrying, money-donating and Kerry-backin' Democrates!
Paul Woll
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed FOX leaning left for the past two months.
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This explains why O'Reilly has been bending backwards toward the left for several months. If he wants his big boss to back him up in the lawsuit brought by his 'alleged' phone sex partner, then he'd better vote like his boss expects him to on the air.
biker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice this awhile back. I cut back on watching fox. Get more of my news on the internet now.
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with you guys. Other than O'Reilly, I have not seen any change in Fox News. The hosts that I watch, John Gibson, Neil Cavuto, Brit Hume, Sean Hannity are still the same as they were when I started watching them.

I dont want Fox to be a right-wing organization, like the MSM are all left wingers. I just want them to be fair and tell the whole story, because the truth is on our side.
PrinceLazar
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: BOR is a lackluster MORE-on, but the rest is doing just fine Reply with quote

Slednfool wrote:
I have to disagree with you guys. Other than O'Reilly, I have not seen any change in Fox News. The hosts that I watch, John Gibson, Neil Cavuto, Brit Hume, Sean Hannity are still the same as they were when I started watching them.

I dont want Fox to be a right-wing organization, like the MSM are all left wingers. I just want them to be fair and tell the whole story, because the truth is on our side.

I agreee here.
While BOR might be about to reveal his opportunist true clothes, I don't think Sean has weered an inch. On the contrary, SH is single-handedly keeping up as a strong man of convictions.

Need some wood?!?!
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of FNC is NOT to be the RNC but to be FAIR AND BALANCED.

Fox does an outstanding job of reporting both sides of stories the MSM will never touch. Let's face it, sometimes the guys on our side mess up. Sometimes people on the other side make charges against our guys.

Unlie the MSM, Fox will report those things on both sides.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccr wrote:
The concept of FNC is NOT to be the RNC but to be FAIR AND BALANCED.

Fox does an outstanding job of reporting both sides of stories the MSM will never touch. Let's face it, sometimes the guys on our side mess up. Sometimes people on the other side make charges against our guys.

Unlie the MSM, Fox will report those things on both sides.

Amen. If ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN had anchors like Brit Hume life would be a lot better. The man has a low regard for the political pandering that others try to pass as news.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My sentiment is expressed thusly: I would prefer that the MSM make some attempt at objectivity, or being fair and balanced.

But what about Fox's "telling the whole story"? I contend that putting two opinionated representatives on the screen, both of whom only spew their side's talking points of the day is NOT telling the whole story. It's not even telling any story. The facts and critical un-spun information are not aired in this format (witness last night's H&C episode where O'Dell could hardly get a word in).

Has Fox made any attempt to provide some in-depth coverage of the story of a relatively unknown contender for the White House, who just happens to have a controversial history? Fox has done even less in attempting to inform the viewer (other than the opposite talking heads format discussed in the previous paragraph) than the other MSM, who have turned out to be totally partisan in their coverage. So where is "tell the story" re Fox's coverage?

What I fear is that the MSM, having abandoned truth and objectivity, will continue in their partianship roles. So where is the average-American who is not a news junkie and who does not have the time and will to search out the facts, going to get his information? It will not be from Fox, either - I contend.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some of us have short memories or what? Remember back in August when the MSM was doing it's best to ignore the Swifties; it was Brit Hume who kept hammering away at the Christmas in Cambodia story until it couldn't be ignored any longer. Fox had the same CEO then as it does now.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little torn on Fox. What I've found is that the morning and late afternoon crews tend to be more centrist or left leaning. I've seen stories where they don't follow their "fair and balanced" policy and they allow the DNC talking heads to run rampant on Bush. This isn't something that happens all the time but it does happen. I normally don't pay attention to Fox political stories until Linda Vestor comes on because of that. On the bright side Fox from 5 pm on leans a little more to the right mainly due to the conservitive journalists that are on during the evening and the evening is where Fox gets the majority of their viewers.

What needs to be remembered is at least Fox has real conservative journalists and doesn't tether them which is something no other station has. As for the personal views of some Fox employees, of course they'll be Democratic, as long as they don't interject the personal bias into the news that's fine.
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let`s not kid ourselves. Take away Brit Hume and Sean Hannity and there isn`t a dime`s worth of difference between them and the MSM. In fact in many ways they are worse. When it comes to peddling sex and smut they do more than CNN and MSNBC combined. Even John Kasich has resorted to this trash reporting.

Ollie North would be great but they keep him in his own little box. I blame Roger Ailes for this trend. He has allowed O`Reilly and others to search every super market paper in the nation to find material for his show. This once great hope for fair and balanced reporting is a complete and utter failure. They could not find a 2 hour block of time to devote to the swift boat story.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Vestor isn't afraid to take on the talking heads from the DNC. There's also Tony Snow, and Fred Barnes.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox is the only station that consistently makes an effort to show the other side of the story. They are far from perfect, but that's all we have. I too have noticed a sight change since their president came out for the traitor. Murdock still owns it, but I don't know where he now stands. Fox can also be a bit to tabloid like for my tastes. I don't watch it as much as I used too.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOX should dump O'Reilly and hire Ann Coulter. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Then, instead of the "No spin zone" we can have the "No whine zone"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: