SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Edwards the Apostle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: John Edwards the Apostle Reply with quote

Saw this on Rush's site. Very Happy

On a serious side, this is the story that goes with the pic:

Quote:
Courageous Caller of the Day Faces Reality

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Jeff in Madison, Ohio. Nice to have you with us. Welcome to the program.

CALLER: Thanks, Rush. It's great to talk to you.

RUSH: Thank you, sir.

CALLER: I just want to -- I'm a 23-year-old, been a quadriplegic for the past six and a half years. I broke my neck at a high school swim meet, and it's upsetting to hear Edwards and Kerry talk about how stem cell research is going to be this miracle cure for us when I know through talking to my doctors that what stem cell research is finding out right now will help just people limited and not help us actually get up and walk.

RUSH: Well, that was what I was going to ask you. Your doctors, do they hold out hope with stem cell research to you? Do they tell you that if we could only make progress in stem cell research that you might be able to walk again? Any doctor ever told you that?

CALLER: No, no doctor's ever told me that.

RUSH: What have they told you about your possibility of walking and getting out of the wheelchair?

CALLER: They say it's just a long matter of time. They just don't know.

RUSH: But they have not --

CALLER: I'm sorry.

RUSH: Have any of your doctors, have any of your doctors given you a time frame and said, "Jeff, in X-amount of days, weeks, years, whatever it is, you will be walking." And since you're only 23 years old, have they told you you're going to walk during your life?

CALLER: No.

RUSH: Your doctors have not?

RUSH: Have they given you any hope whatsoever that your condition will improve dramatically?

RUSH: What do they tell you? Now, I'm sorry to ask these questions. And I think you're very brave for calling here and discussing this. I know some people who are in your circumstance, and I have to tell you something, I admire all of you. I can't imagine what it was like. I don't want you to relive your history, but I can't imagine what it was like when you woke up and they told you. I cannot imagine that.

CALLER: It took probably two weeks to register just exactly what the whole concept of a spinal cord injury is and just what the rest of my life is going to be like, it just took a very long time.

RUSH: What was the process you went through in accepting it?

CALLER: Just ended up I had to accept it, just I said, well, this is my life. That's what it's going to be. Okay. Let's go from here.

RUSH: What did you look to in the future to give you something to reach for, a goal, objective, something to accomplish? I know it's a day to day thing with everybody, but certainly in order to get past that state of denial you had to have some sort of positive reinforcement either that was offered you and you believed or that you provided for yourself, and I don't want to put words in your mouth, but you just said this is your life, but it is a life.

CALLER: Right. Probably the biggest thing that helped me through were family and friends. They said, "Jeff, we're here for you." I had hundreds of friends from school come and visit me. My family is there every day and they just said, "We won't change our feelings for you, for how you are. We'll deal with it and let's go from here."

RUSH: Has anybody in the medical community offered you the opportunity to participate in any experimental research or procedure?

CALLER: I've done a few things just with like implanted electrodes into your body to help kind of strengthen muscles and get muscles to move that haven't been regenerated. But I've gained feeling back and it hurt too much so I just couldn't go through with it.

RUSH: So knowing what we know of your story, had you heard about this before the program today? Did you hear this when Edwards said it yesterday, or had you heard about it?

CALLER: No, I hadn't.

RUSH: So what's your reaction today when you're listening to the program and you heard what Edwards said?

CALLER: I just couldn't believe it. I mean, just from knowing what I know through my doctors, and what they have said, I know that they're still ten or 15 years away from something that they don't even know about that -- but that they know isn't a miracle cure to help people walk again.

RUSH: When you heard Senator Edwards say this, was there a part of you that said, "Maybe my doctors aren't telling me the truth," because I mean this man is running for vice president. He's saying that John Kerry, the president of the United States, the most powerful man in the world is going to see to it that you will walk again if John Kerry is elected. Now, did a part of you say, "Wll, maybe my doctors aren't squaring with me, what do they know that I don't know, maybe they can get it done, maybe John Kerry and Edwards can spur my doctors on when they're not making as much progress as I'd like," any of that cross your mind?

CALLER: No, I fully trust my doctors. If something comes out of their mouth I believe it 100%.

RUSH: And the reason for that is you've got the evidence of experience in dealing with them.

CALLER: Right.

RUSH: And as far as you know, John Edwards is not a doctor, nor is Kerry.

CALLER: Correct.

RUSH: They just play them on TV.

CALLER: True.

RUSH: Jeff, look, I appreciate the call. Is it at all therapeutic to talk about this, or does it cause pain? How do you feel in discussing this with people? You're 23, this happened when you were in high school, so six and a half years ago.

CALLER: If people ask me a question, I answer it. I fully believe that it's better to educate than to keep it in. So if anybody asks me a question about it, I feel I'm more than happy to answer it.

RUSH: Well, I appreciate your answering the questions I had for you today, and I'm glad you called and got through. Best to you.

CALLER: Thank you very much.

RUSH: Let me ask, Jeff.

CALLER: Yes.

RUSH: Are you able -- and don't laugh at this -- are you able to use a computer?

CALLER: Yes.

RUSH: You are? Are you a subscriber to my website?

CALLER: Yes, actually I am.

RUSH: You are? Well, are you a subscriber to my newsletter?

CALLER: No, actually, I'm not.

RUSH: Well, we're going to make you a subscriber to the newsletter and I'm going to fix it so that you can go to the EIB Store and pick out a couple things there that you might want. So hang on and we'll put you on hold, and we'll tell you how to activate all of those things, and I appreciate your call in answering the questions.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I have an e-mail from a 24/7 subscriber. Dear, Rush: I'm a pharmacologist working for a major drug company currently working on spinal cord injury and I can tell you from my own perspective, stem cells are not the hot issue in nerve regeneration. When the spine is mechanically severed, like all tissue, the healing process form a scar in order to allow inflammation response cells such as macrophages to deal with the inflammation. These scar tissue express proteins that inhibit neuronal regeneration by a variety of biomedical means. Unfortunately the scar tissue does not break down. Hence, reconnection does not readily occur. The current area of research is in overcoming these inhibitory molecules and the physical barrier of the scar. Stem cells are not really the big deal in spinal cord. Rather, they are in brain injury, most particularly in Parkinson's disease and stroke, not Alzheimer's.

And then he says this. "To be honest the only reason Christopher Reeve championed this cause is because he was being manipulated by scientists, most of whom are left-wing and will do anything to hit on Bush."

Well, we don't know about that, but, at any rate, there's a bit of a scientific explanation. Nobody's been able to regenerate the spinal cord no matter what they've tried, folks.

END TRANSCRIPT

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/weekend_sites/101104_101504/content/truth_detector_2.guest.html

Stolen Honor
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to be Salome to this John who goes before?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: