SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trick or Treat (Stolen Honor)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Trick or Treat (Stolen Honor) Reply with quote

In an effort to spread the word, I had an idea and have decided to include a small 'tract' along with the candy I will be distributing on Halloween. Assuming that any responsible parent will sort through their child's candy, they will discover my 'tract' with a 'swiftboat-type' message (note: message will not be an endorsement of or message from SBVT, just a similar in nature, personal, yet anonymous message).

My 'message' will be received at the home of every child to visits mine and should others be willing to participate by doing the same, the message could be received in countless numbers of homes just two days before the election!

I have not decided yet on the exact content of the message, but am open to suggestions. It should be a 'to the point' or a simply slogan-like message that will fit on a small piece of paper that can be tied or taped to a candy bar or rolled up like a scroll and tied with yarn.

Feedback on the idea and suggestions for the message are most welcome!

Kimberly

Last edited by kimberly on Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Somebunny
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a good idea! We used to live in the "Bible Belt" in Texas, and we'd get stuff in our trick or treat bags all the time about churches and stuff.

Come up with something little, and wrap the paper right around the candy.
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebunny wrote:
That's actually a good idea! We used to live in the "Bible Belt" in Texas, and we'd get stuff in our trick or treat bags all the time about churches and stuff.

Come up with something little, and wrap the paper right around the candy.

lol, I'm in Ohio and we got them here too! That's where the idea came from....any thoughts on the message?

It would be great to get as many folks as possible to do this...a little 'grass roots' movement to get the message to as many homes as possible!

Kimberly
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't help but notice that in yesterday's coverage of the campaign trail that it was remarked that Kerry visited a pumpkin patch yesterday. Which reminds me of the comic strip Peanuts and the Great Pumpkin...
So something cartoonish for the kids, with a subtle message for the parents might be just the ticket.
Somebunny
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anker-Klanker, I grew up in Richardson...I graduated from Berkner High School! Small world!
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I do not like Halloween as an adult, I did enjoy it as a young child. The key word is "enjoy." We have enough problems with the left indoctrinating our children in our schools. My answer is no, let it be for children's enjoyment.
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neverforget wrote:
Even though I do not like Halloween as an adult, I did enjoy it as a young child. The key word is "enjoy." We have enough problems with the left indoctrinating our children in our schools. My answer is no, let it be for children's enjoyment.

I agree.
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
I couldn't help but notice that in yesterday's coverage of the campaign trail that it was remarked that Kerry visited a pumpkin patch yesterday. Which reminds me of the comic strip Peanuts and the Great Pumpkin...
So something cartoonish for the kids, with a subtle message for the parents might be just the ticket.

Thanks for the idea, however, don't you think it is important that the message be very specific for parents and not geared toward the children. Our trick or treaters are usually 10 and under, parents go through and check candy as soon as they get back home. It will be the parents who will have interest in reading the message, children that age will not bother, they'll just want the candy.
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to throw cold water on this, but I can just her the Dems now saying how the reps will stoop to any level , even using small children to spread their message.

I never liked it when the churches did it either. Perhaps if an adult is with the child I might hand something to them.
anyway, to each their own.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dems now saying how the reps will stoop to any level , even using small children to spread their message.

I'm not endorsing the idea one way or another. But when I hear that the Dems are saying the Reps will do one thing or another, it's a 100% SURE thing that the Dems have already thought of it and are going to do it. I call it the Democratic pre-emptive strike. You can watch this and see the Dems next move every time.
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it could be misconstrued if given to children. However, that idea about handing something (a treat of sorts) to the adult with them sounds interesting.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be OK if your careful with the message. For instance, something like Educate Your Vote followed by a short list of links with information about Kerry's past.

Like this:

Quote:
EDUCATE YOUR VOTE

www.newsmax.com
www.cnsnews.com
www.pajamajournal.com (shameless plug)
www.humaneventsonline.com
www.powmiafamiliesagainstjohnkerry.com

You can't trust main steam media to give you the whole truth!

While your message doesn't come right out and slam Kerry it may provoke a few people to actually look at the sites you list and they will be exposed to the facts. Thats all we really need is to expose America to the facts.

I think I will do this too. Let the democrats scream about it, that'll only get the message out more.

Main Steam Media can not be trusted.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give the parents a candy bar with a message, BUT not the kids. Let them be children and have fun while they can (I might resent my kids getting something). I do plan to wear a Kerry mask with a sign around my neck saying I Lied While Good Men Died to every adult party and nightclub that weekend. I plan on having a real good time.
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebunny wrote:
Hi Anker-Klanker, I grew up in Richardson...I graduated from Berkner High School! Small world!

Somebunny, I lived in Richardson for a year and went to Berkner High School my Junior Year of High School. When I saw the "Berkner" it jumped out at me, hadn't thought about that in some time.
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those of you who replied. I have read and carefully considered over the past week each of your posts, especially those who had concerns about the children.

I have come to this conclusion. We are at war, not just in Iraq, but in a battle here at home where the outcome of this election may affect the lives of our children for years to come. How our country spends the next four years fighting terrorism (proactively vs. inactively) will determine if our battles are fought elsewhere or here at home. The democratic party and Kerry seemingly have no limits to what they are willing to do to win. While I wish not to stoop to their level, I'm afraid it is our fair-playing camp who finds itself always waiting for the next blow and won't know what hit us until the election has been won by Kerry. I hope not, but every single day as the election approaches is one day less that we have to act, rather than react. Even when we thought we had made an advance with the airing of Stolen Honor, our right to have it shown on tv and now even at theaters is being taken from us. They are prepared to block us at every turn.

If I were rich, I would buy a copy of Stolen Honor to deposit in every single trick or treat bag that knocks on my door. Unfortunately, thats just a dream. Someone mentioned here, I believe, that the dems have probably already thought of the idea of giving some sort of message along with candy. They may have decided perhaps a pencil with the Kerry name or some kind of trinket bearing his logo. (their recent idea of pill boxes comes to mind). I wish not to give a politically based trinket to the children, but rather candy and a separate, well thought out and dynamic message for the parents. The children will love the candy and the message will be of no consequence to them.

My effort may not reach many homes, but if I can reach just one home in Ohio of an undecided voter, it will be worth the effort. Since my decision has now been made, and I thank you all for your advice, please reply if you have any thoughts on the message itself!

Thanks!
Kimberly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: