SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Records indicate Kerry did his duty
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Msgt_Ret
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Records indicate Kerry did his duty Reply with quote

Rowan Scarborough
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

"The Navy records posted on Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign Web site have stirred suspicion of wrongdoing among Internet bloggers, but authoritative sources say the documents show that the ex-Navy officer fulfilled his duty."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20041018-124856-1545r.htm
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage control and a steaming pile of monkey poo
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Navy documents show that in 1978, he received an "honorable discharge certificate" after a board of officers convened and reviewed his record.
Navy officials say today that the board was standard operating procedure at that time for all reservists and does not indicate Mr. Kerry did anything wrong.

A board of officers reviewing your discharge, 6 years after you were discharged, was standard operating procedure for Reservists, before you received a certificate of discharge?

I'd like to know which "Navy official" said that.
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkadyfolkner wrote:
damage control and a steaming pile of monkey poo

I would have to agree that that POS is a steraming pile of mokey poo.

The LSM is still giving him a pass. I hope that when sKerry looses in a few weeks the damn will finally break and he gets his just deserts.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are reporters going to start named their sources? What authoritative source? What Navy source? I want names. Good mention of book though.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Washington Times Article, my comments are in "quotes".

The Navy records posted on Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign Web site have stirred suspicion of wrongdoing among Internet bloggers
Quote:
As well as award winning reputable journalists such as Thomas Lipscomb
, but authoritative sources say the documents show that the ex-Navy officer fulfilled his duty.
Quote:
What "authoritative sources". There are just as many "authoritative sources" who say it is in doubt. I also would like to know if this is similar to Dan Rather's "impeachable source"? Evil or Very Mad
One gap that remains is the Democratic presidential nominee's failure to sign a government Standard Form 180. It would authorize the Navy to release any personnel or medical record. At this point, it is thought that the remaining unpublished documents are limited to medical and college records.
Quote:
"Thought" --well they "thought" wrong. Even the document they are refering to, his honorable discharge does not include the second page on Kerry's website. Notice on the website it has the cover letter, which states : "Encl: (1) Honorable Discharge Certificate" This is not included on his website, among various other things mentioned in this forum.

A Kerry spokesman did not return phone calls seeking an answer to whether the candidate would sign such a waiver.
Quote:
There's a shocker!
Spokesmen previously have said Mr. Kerry has posted all records from his personnel file.
Quote:
An obvious lie by the Kerry Spokesmen

President Bush has ordered the Pentagon to release all records — his personnel file as well as any other document — that deal with his Texas Air National Guard service.
The White House has released hundreds of pages of such documents, including physical exams.
Quote:
At least they are honest about this, Senator Kerry, why cant you be the same and sign SF-180???
Navy officials say any documents that might pertain to Mr. Kerry's four months in Vietnam, such as after-action reports, are not personnel records and thus not subject to SF-180.
Those papers can be found in archives or sought by reporters via Freedom of Information Act requests. Some have been located by reporters and authors.
Quote:
Thanks to everyone here, seems like the MSM couldnt give a darn
Some veterans, including those who served with him, are angered by Mr. Kerry's anti-war stances and his statements denigrating the military after he left active duty in 1970. Here are some of the charges brought by Internet bloggers and veterans opposed to Mr. Kerry:
Quote:
Notice how charges now are attributed to "bloggers" and not anyone else? Especially this is the case when a reporter doesn't know for sure if the charge is true (my take on the way "journalists" are blaming bloggers at least)

•Mr. Kerry did not receive an honorable discharge. "My guess is that he was discharged in the '70s but not honorably," said one blogger in a widely circulated e-mail.
This accusation is refuted by Mr. Kerry's DD214, a separation-from-active-duty document. It was provided to him by the Navy and posted on his Web site, JohnKerry.com.
Mr. Kerry joined the Navy in 1966, completed officer training and served nearly four years on active duty. He requested an early separation in December 1969, which was granted a month later.
The Navy issued the DD214 that January 1970 that lists his "character of service" as "honorable."
Quote:
How pathetic is this reporter? If you go to his DD214, scroll to the bottom of the second page it states under remarks: 13b - NO DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE ISSUED AT TIME OF SEPARATION

c A second charge is that Mr. Kerry did not successfully fulfill his time in the Reserves, so a special board had to be convened to determine what type of discharge he should receive.
Navy documents show that in 1978, he received an "honorable discharge certificate" after a board of officers convened and reviewed his record.
Navy officials say today that the board was standard operating procedure at that time for all reservists and does not indicate Mr. Kerry did anything wrong.
Quote:
I'm not qualified to answer this (someone give me some help here) but i dont think it was "standard operating procedure at that time for all reservists"

After service just short of four years on active duty, Mr. Kerry transferred to the Ready Reserve and then in 1972 to the standby Reserve. He was not required to attend drills under those two designations, says a Navy official who asked not to be named.
•A third charge: Mr. Kerry got his Vietnam War medal citations reissued in the 1980s because he was stripped of them for misconduct.
Navy officials say that there is no evidence that Mr. Kerry's Silver Star, Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts were ever rescinded and that there is no evidence of misconduct in his records.
He did receive new medal citations in the mid-1980s. Officials say the Navy receives scores, and perhaps hundreds, of such requests each year from veterans who want a second copy or have lost the originals.
The citations are simply put through a machine that implants the signature of the current Navy secretary. John Lehman's signature, via a machine, appears on Mr. Kerry's new citation for his Silver Star.
Quote:
If that is the case, why does the actual citations words differ from the previous two, if they are simply "put through a machine that implants the signature"?

Although Navy officials say Mr. Kerry's personnel papers are in order, some of the men who served with him in river patrol boat units in Vietnam say he exaggerated his war record and demeaned the military as an anti-war protester.
Quote:
Hell yes they do!

The best-selling "Unfit for Command" by John E. O'Neill and Jerome R. Corsi makes this charge: "John Kerry would like many people today to view his service in Vietnam as one of honor and courage. But the real John Kerry of Vietnam was a man who filed false operating reports, who faked Purple Hearts, and who took a fast pass through the combat zones."
Quote:
Something the author actually got right! Very Happy

Last edited by ord33 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Kerry took the job of an admiral's aide, he signed a contract
extension, extending his active duty obligation thru Aug. '70.
His original obligation, three years active duty as an officer
(does not count officer's candidate school), was thru mid-Dec '69.
( I think) He got credit for active duty, thru Feb.'70.
Kerry was let off the hook for six months of active duty.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on another thread but thought it might fit better here. If you notice, the writer says that only Medical Records and College docs are still not released. If that is true then what could be written in those 100 pages of medical reports? We know it has nothing to do with his physical war injuries but what about his mental injuries? I think Kerry's wife let something out of the bag to The Washington Post last year that Kerry clearly did not want discussed.

Here's something else Carter did during his first few years on office. It's interesting how the names of the past seem to creep up in the most interesting places.

The Lost is Found: Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
http://www.istss.org/What/history2.htm

In the meantime, President Carter had appointed Max Cleland as Director of the Veterans Administration and Alan Cranston assumed the chairmanship of the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs. Cleland called a meeting with Art Blank, Charles Figley, Shad Meshad, John Wilson, William Mahedy and others to make specific recommendations for a VA readjustment counseling program.

I seem to remember Teresa Kerry commenting on John Kerry's nightmares about Vietnam.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A39691-2002May31?language=printer

The Heart of Politics
One Woman, Two Senators and Presidential Ambitions: The Washington Tale of John Kerry and Teresa Heinz

Part of Heinz's charm is that she has no patience for this. When Kerry is asked about the nightmares that haunted his sleep for years after he returned from Vietnam, he shrugs. "I don't think I've had a nightmare in a long time," he says. But then Heinz begins to mimic Kerry having a Vietnam nightmare.

"Down! Down, down!" she yells, patting her hands down on her auburn hair.

"I haven't gotten slapped yet," she says. "But there were times when I thought I might get throttled."

Kerry quivers his right foot and steers the discussion to the counseling programs he has supported for Vietnam veterans. Asked if he has been in therapy himself, he non-answers. "It doesn't bother me anymore, I just go back to sleep."

Heinz presses him. "Not therapy for the dreams, therapy for the angst," she says, and looks quizzically at him, awaiting an answer. Kerry shakes his head "No."This is not your father's political couple, though you wonder, at this moment, if Kerry wishes it were.

Maybe he won't sign the Form 180 because his discharged was changed to honorable due to PTSD. I remember thinking that Max Cleland was going overboard with the trip to the Texas ranch but if he knew something else, I could see why there was such desperation. I think that we have a right to know this information and we should continue to demand it.

If this is true, it would truly be an October Suprise and until Kerry signs Form 180, this is just as plausable as any other scenario.

SBD

P.S. This is just a guess, I have not found the documentation "Yet" but I am sure that the other side will start to attack me as being cruel, etc. We can usually judge how close we are to the truth by how loudly and violent the Kerry team becomes.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ord33 wrote:

government Standard Form 180. It would authorize the Navy to release any personnel or medical record. At this point, it is thought that the remaining unpublished documents are limited to medical and college records.

It is thought by others that one wouldn't think that. What say, Ord? Let's have him sign 180. Go talk to him. Ask him. What's he got to lose in the sense that he's going to LOSE the election. Why not come clean and retrieve just the very last shred of dignity available to JFK-erry? How about it?

Are you quoting from the Wa Post, by any chance, or similar? The NY Times?

Quote:

A Kerry spokesman did not return phone calls seeking an answer to whether the candidate would sign such a waiver.

I'm suggesting, face to face. Just ask him. Help him turn a corner in his life. Help him do that.

Quote:

The White House has released hundreds of pages of such documents, including physical exams.

Even stuff they keep finding. Everything. And what about Kerry?

You have to admit that the entire Swiftie endeavor, according to their own statements, was prompted essentially by Kerry's refusal to authorize the release of his personal documents. He claimed that everything was released on his website. He had a special page for it. But we all know, he didn't release what people wanted to see and he has refused to do so, to sign form 180. He lied.

People get that.

Quote:

Those papers can be found in archives or sought by reporters via Freedom of Information Act requests. Some have been located by reporters and authors.

Not by reporters. They were probably looking to debunk Swifties, and studied with eyes glazed over. But many were found by those supporting the Swifties, as you've read on these very boards. And 'NavyChief' discovered something rather interesting concerning the time a dispatch was sent from a ship, concerning events of 13 MAR. Kerry had always denied, or at least refused to confirm, that he was the source of that report - his details, his fraud, was that fraud, right up the chain of command. It doesn't seem to be a mystery, any more.

Quote:

Mr. Kerry joined the Navy in 1966, completed officer training

When he was provided with his first DD214.

And you were saying:

Quote:
and served nearly four years on active duty. He requested an early separation in December 1969, which was granted a month later.
The Navy issued the DD214 that January 1970 that lists his "character of service" as "honorable."

DD214N shows that he was transferred to the Naval Reserve in 1970, after having spent a year in Brooklyn on active duty. It also shows that JFK-erry earned a Silver Star with Combat "V", which was apparently quite impressive. I've read that others with similar medals have later been judged to have engaged in some kind of fraud by the military, upon later investigation that is. I don't suppose that would be true in this particular case, however - correct?

Quote:

And they never said it didn't. They were investigating, if you read the cited statutes, cases possibly involving involuntary separation, under less than honorable conditions that is. Another went to reactiving personnel from inactive duty, if I recall. But the original statutes were struck in 1994. I've not seen anybody post the original language. I can only read the substitute provisions now online. Others, such as Lipscomb, have pointed out the juxtaposition of Carter's general amnesty and Kerry's 1978 review.

And:

Quote:

transferred to the Ready Reserve and then in 1972 to the standby Reserve. He was not required to attend drills

Or else he was. I'm not sure that's been determined. And one might think rather than explain the review board as 'standard', 'default', routine that his defenders would say it was necessary to get him his final separation. I'm a bit unclear how this works, since I imagined that he should have received his final DD214N in 1972. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Quote:

Navy officials say that there is no evidence that Mr. Kerry's Silver Star, Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts were ever rescinded and that there is no evidence of misconduct in his records.

I don't believe they have EVER looked into that. What's the URL for this report? I'd like to read it, myself.

Quote:

He did receive new medal citations in the mid-1980s. Officials say the Navy receives scores, and perhaps hundreds, of such requests each year from veterans who want a second copy or have lost the originals.

No, they would just send them a copy, as I understand it. They wouldn't rewrite the document. For one thing, they couldn't know at such a late and remote date what really happened. They'd just be making it up, or perhaps getting it wrong in attempting to rephrase.

Quote:

John Kerry of Vietnam was a man who filed false operating reports, who faked Purple Hearts, and who took a fast pass through the combat zones."

Etc. So - NY Times?
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasepaint wrote:
When Kerry took the job of an admiral's aide, he signed a contract
extension, extending his active duty obligation thru Aug. '70.

No, I'm pretty sure it was six years. And that's how the DD214N reads - 1966-1972.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The Navy records posted on Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign Web site have stirred suspicion of wrongdoing among Internet bloggers, but authoritative sources say the documents show that the ex-Navy officer fulfilled his duty."

Just as the records (the full one by the way) shows that President Bush fulfilled his duty.

But did that stop Kerry and the smarmy McAuliffe from spreading lies about the President's ANG service. I don't think so.

But now, as the hypocritical &%*#@$@&%^s they are, they claim that a fraction of selectively released files from Kerry's military record show that he "did his duty."

Well, I'm from Missouri (at least figuratively) pal: SHOW ME!

John Kerry is pleading the Fifth Amendent when it comes to his record.
Tilly
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Authoritative" sources, huh?

Hm. Does this mean a midnight phone call to ... Wesley Clark? Bumping into RICHARD Clark at a cocktail party? Perhaps one of Hillary Clinton's staffers ... maybe a janitor at the Pentagon ....

I support the freedom of the press in the fiber of my very being, but the press needs to start verifying their un-named sources ... because these sources make the MSM look more and more idiotic, in the service of the Democrats.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasepaint, sevry:

Apples and oranges. The 6 year figure refers to the total service committment (Active PLUS Reserve) that Kerry signed up for in 1966. At the time, I believe the norms were 3yrs active/3yrs reserve and 4yrs active/2yrs reserve. It's entirely possible his job as an Admiral's aide required an extension of his active duty time - which was subsequently waived.

Tilly:

The Washington Times is a pretty damn conservative newspaper. They are definitely NOT in Kerry's camp. From what I've read of Scarborough's previous work, he seems both well-connected and thorough.

Last edited by Hondo on Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or does this article seem to address nothing of substance that was in the Libscomb article, except the board review?

It was possible that all officers received a board review in the Reserves prior to discharge, but a board review under those specific references?

I'd love to know who the reporter spoke to - what "Navy spokesman?"
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And they never said it didn't. They were investigating, if you read the cited statutes, cases possibly involving involuntary separation, under less than honorable conditions that is. Another went to reactiving personnel from inactive duty, if I recall. But the original statutes were struck in 1994. I've not seen anybody post the original language. I can only read the substitute provisions now online. Others, such as Lipscomb, have pointed out the juxtaposition of Carter's general amnesty and Kerry's 1978 review.

Here is the document I found regarding 1162 and 1163
http://66.135.39.97/chapter59-seperation.pdf

SBD
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: