SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opposition by another of Kerry's Navy Superiors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Opposition by another of Kerry's Navy Superiors Reply with quote

http://www.californiarepublic.org/archives/Columns/KellyJ/20040318KellyJAntiWar.html

DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Opposition by another of Kerry's Navy Superiors Reply with quote

rbshirley wrote:

http://www.californiarepublic.org/archives/Columns/KellyJ/20040318KellyJAntiWar.html

Opposes him because of what he did after the war, not his service while in the Navy, and certainly not while they served together.

Doug
PS. Please read the PM I just sent you.

"We deployed from Long Beach to the Vietnam theater in early 1968 after only a six-month turnaround and spent most of a four month deployment on rescue station in the Gulf of Tonkin, standing by to pick up downed aviators. It was a fairly grueling tour of duty. Our helicopter was shot up trying to rescue a downed pilot and the door gunner was killed. The crew performed well and John Kerry's performance in all aspects of his duty was outstanding. Drafting his fitness reports was an exercise in the use of superlatives. In fact, of the thirty or so officers, I counted him in the top half dozen, no mean feat for an ensign."
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Opposition by another of Kerry's Navy Superiors Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:

Opposes him because of what he did after the war, not his service while in the Navy, and certainly not while they served together.

Doug...fair enough...but that wasn't the point of his column.

This was....

Quote:
While he was protesting against the war, many of us were still fighting in it. Many of us felt betrayed that one of our own, a decorated hero, would give comfort to the enemy by such actions. Whatever one thinks of the wisdom of becoming involved in that war, two presidents -- both Democrats -- committed the armed forces they commanded to fight it.

And make no mistake; actions by the likes of Fonda and Kerry were damaging to our morale, gave aid and comfort to the forces we were fighting and altered the eventual outcome in a manner less favorable to the United States than if they had kept their mouths shut. The time for anti-war protests is before the war starts.

There is no question that John Kerry earned his decorations and that he put his life at risk in the service of his country. There is no doubt in my mind, moreover, that he has the intelligence to serve as president. But there likewise is absolutely no doubt in my mind that his anti-war activities while our troops were still fighting, dying and being tortured in filthy Vietnam prisons were despicable.

For that reason, even aside from his anti-defense voting record in the Senate, he is one ex-shipmate that I could never support as commander-in-chief of the armed forces.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Opposition by another of Kerry's Navy Superiors Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
DougReese wrote:

Doug...fair enough...but that wasn't the point of his column.

This was....

Quote:
While he was protesting against the war, many of us were still fighting in it. Many of us felt betrayed that one of our own, a decorated hero, would give comfort to the enemy by such actions ...
[b]For that reason, even aside from his anti-defense voting record in the Senate, he is one ex-shipmate that I could never support as commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

And that, according to the Left, is proof of your partisanship, and could not possible be based on your individual opinion based on your own experience. Any opposer of the Left's agenda is immediately branded as having evil motives.

Does this sound familiar? It's a characteristic of totalitarianism.

FDL
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean I can't hate someone unless they're a leftist? Even my first wife? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: