SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ensign Kerry never promoted ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Ensign Kerry never promoted ?? Reply with quote

I was just an enlisted puke so I don’t pretend to understand the inner workings of the promotion of commissioned officers, but the record of Kerry’s changes in rank appears strange to me. I'll bet someone here can show me why the following just reflects SOP for the Vietnam era:

Within the subset of Kerry’s military records that are posted on his web site, “hidden in plain sight” under a link to “Temporary Orders and Ranks,” are 11 pages including seven (!) duplicates (why?) documenting Kerry’s "Temporary Appointments" to rank as follows:

(1) 16 June 1968, Temporary Appointment to LT(jg) effective 16 June 1968.
(2) 1 Dec 1969, Superseding Temp. Appt. to LT(jg).
(3) 27 Nov 1970, Temp. Appt. to LT USNR, effective 1 Jan 1970.
(4) 17 Dec 1970, Temp. Appt. to ? (refers to “reverse” which is not posted)

These dates are the same dates of rank (D.O.R.) listed on the document linked as "Service Record" in the military records posted on Kerry's web site.

Various authorities for the appointments are cited including (for 1 Dec 1969 appt.) Title 10 United State Code, Section 5598. The only reference I can find to that section is:

Quote:
Repealed Section 5598, act Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 331,
authorized temporary appointments in Naval Reserve and Marine Corps
Reserve in times of war or national emergency. See section 603 of
this title.

Apparently 10USC603 is similar to and replaced 10USC5598

Excerpt: (my bolding)
Quote:

10 USC Sec. 603

TITLE 10, CHAPTER 35 - TEMPORARY APPOINTMENTS IN OFFICER GRADES

Sec. 603. Appointments in time of war or national emergency

-STATUTE-
(a) In time of war, or of national emergency declared by the
Congress or the President after November 30, 1980, the President
may appoint any qualified person (whether or not already a member
of the armed forces) to any officer grade in the Army, Navy, Air
Force, or Marine Corps, except that appointments under this section
may not be made in grades above major general or rear admiral.
Appointments under this section shall be made by the President
alone, except that an appointment in the grade warrant officer,
W-1, shall be made by warrant by the Secretary concerned.
(b) Any appointment under this section is a temporary appointment
and may be vacated by the President at any time.
(c)(1) Any person receiving an original appointment under this
section is entitled to service credit as authorized under section
533 of this title.
(2) An appointment under this section of a person who is not on
active duty becomes effective when that person begins active duty
under that appointment.
(d) An appointment under this section does not change the
permanent status of a member of the armed forces so appointed. A
member who is appointed under this section shall not incur any
reduction in the pay and allowances to which the member was
entitled, by virtue of his permanent status, at the time of his
appointment under this section.
(e)(1) An officer who receives an appointment to a higher grade
under this section is considered to have accepted such appointment
on the date of the order announcing the appointment unless he
expressly declines the appointment.
(2) An officer who has served continuously since he subscribed to
the oath of office prescribed in section 3331 of title 5 is not
required to take a new oath upon appointment to a higher grade
under this section.

(f) Unless sooner terminated, an appointment under this section
terminates on the earliest of the following:
(1) The second anniversary of the appointment.
(2) The end of the six-month period beginning on the last day
of the war or national emergency during which the appointment was
made.
(3) The date the person appointed is released from active duty.

-TRANS-
DELEGATION OF FUNCTIONS
Functions of President under subsecs. (a) and (b) to make or
vacate certain temporary commissioned appointments delegated to
Secretary of Defense to perform during a time of war or national
emergency, without approval, ratification, or other action by
President, and with authority for Secretary to redelegate, provided
that, during a national emergency declared by President, exercise
of any such authority be specifically directed by President in
accordance with section 1631 of Title 50, War and National Defense,
and that Secretary ensure any authority so delegated be accounted
for as required by section 1641 of Title 50, see Ex. Ord. No.
12396, Sec. 2, 3, Dec. 9, 1982, 47 F.R. 55897, 55898, set out as a
note under section 301 of Title 3, The President.

I sounds to me, probably because I don’t understand any of this, that Kerry was never selected for permanent promotion by the normal “selection board” process. It also appears that he should have reverted to the rank of Ensign when transferred to inactive reserve, or 1 Jan 1972, two years after his last temporary appointment.

Ensign Kerry doesn't fit very well with his decorated-hero-who-won-the-war-single-handed fantasy.

Was promotion by “temporary appointment,” rather than recommendation by a selection board, typical in the Vietnam era?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly all Naval Academy graduates receive "permanent" commissions.

Nearly all other officers receive "temporary" commissions - an officer is on a "temporary" commission until s/he accepts a promotion to O4 (LCDR), at which time the commission is converted to "permanent."
Butch
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed at the knowledge of this women. I guess she really is all Navy.
William
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy x3,

Neither Kerry's letter of transmittal of his commission, titled "Appointment as Reserve Officer in United State Navy", nor his commission mention anything about being temporary, but his appointments to higher rank all state that they are temporary and refer to U.S. Code sections on temporary appointments.

While for all I know (approaching zero on this subject) your explanation of the nature of USNR-OCS grad. commissions is correct, it doesn't appear on the face of it that Kerry's commission was "temporary", but his ranks of LT(jg) and LT were. Is that the same thing?

The current version of the referenced code section suggests that his temporary appointments should have expired, leaving him an Ensign, before his 1978 discharge.

I'm still confused, but that's nothing new???
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The words "temporary" or "Reserve" may not show up on all the documents that reference his rank, but his commission retained the "temporary" status as an officer in the US Naval Reserve through his promotions. (O2, LT(jg) and O3, LT)

As a line officer, he would have had to accept permanent status in the "regular" Navy had he accepted a promotion to O4.

Nahhhhh, I don't know everything, Butch - not by a long shot. Wink The only reason I have any familiarity with it is that my (Mustang - E1-O4) husband was required to transition to permanent regular Navy at the time of his last promotion.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch wrote:
I'm amazed at the knowledge of this women. I guess she really is all Navy.

Nope, the Navy part is just above the shoulders. The rest of her is a Jar Head, Biker, Amazon Warrior, Bad A**, No BS Lady.

Sam
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle The Hun wrote:
Nope, the Navy part is just above the shoulders. The rest of her is a Jar Head, Biker, Amazon Warrior, Bad A**, No BS Lady.

You sweet-talker, you. Wink
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably shouldn’t try this, but what the hell. Hope my memory from 23+ years ago serves me well. I might have a few of the details wrong, but in general what follows should be accurate.

I believe the confusion here relates to the old Regular/Reserve/Temporary system all services used for managing officers prior to implementation of the Defense Officer Personnel Management Act (DOPMA). (DOPMA became law in late 1980 and was implemented in the early 1980s.) The Byzantine, multi-layered officer personnel system preceding DOPMA was the one in effect during the time Kerry was on active duty.

Prior to DOPMA, there were Regular Officers (tenured under law) serving on active duty. There were also Reserve Officers, serving at the pleasure of the President and who might or might not be serving on active duty.

Moreover, officers serving on active duty also had a Temporary rank and date of rank. This corresponded to the rank the officer actually held while serving on active duty. An officer’s temporary rank was often NOT the same as that officer’s permanent rank if he/she was a Regular officer.

Regular Officers thus had a permanent (Regular) grade – in which they held tenure by law – and a temporary grade, which reflected their current active duty rank but which was not necessarily permanent. A reduction in force in an officer’s service could result in a Regular officer losing his/her temporary rank and reverting back to his/her permanent (Regular) rank. In the Army, the temporary grade of an officer – which was that officer’s current Active Duty rank - was if I recall correctly denoted by the abbreviation AUS (Army of the United States). The RA (Regular Army) rank of an officer holding a Regular commission could be – and often was – considerably lower than their temporary rank.

I believe the same situation existed for Reserve officers serving on extended active duty also, but I can’t swear to that.

A Reserve Officer not serving on active duty had only a single rank and date of rank: his/her Reserve rank and date of rank.

Yes, each rank could – and often did – have a different date of rank. Yes, if I recall correctly there were separate boards for each type of promotion (Regular, Reserve, and Temporary). Yes, the system was cumbersome, complex, and convoluted. The bottom line was that a Regular Officer serving on active duty above the rank of Ensign/Second Lieutenant often had two different ranks and almost always had two dates of rank – one for his/her Regular grade, and one for his/her temporary Active Duty grade. As noted above, I think this was also true of Reserve Officers serving on extended active duty.

DOPMA clarified this a good deal. Under DOPMA, an officer on active duty almost always has a single grade and date of rank.

This affected Kerry in that he was a USNR officer serving on active duty between 1966 and 1970. He thus would have had both a Reserve and a temporary grade.

I'm really not trying to be overly humorous above. The system really was that complex, and it still amazes me that people accepted it without much complaint.

Everyone is now authorized to find the aspirin bottle, open it, take two, and sit down until their head stops hurting and the world stops spinning. I know I need to!

Last edited by Hondo on Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:02 am; edited 2 times in total
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo wrote:
The bottom line was that a Regular Officer serving on active duty above the rank of Ensign/Second Lieutenant often had two different ranks and almost always had two dates of rank – one for his/her Regular grade, and one for his/her temporary Active Duty grade. As noted above, I think this was also true of Reserve Officers serving on extended active duty.

Yes, it did apply to Reserve Officers on extended active duty at that time.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet:

Thanks. Thought so, but after 23+ years the memory starts to go (along with a few other things) . . .
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Aristotle The Hun wrote:

You sweet-talker, you. Wink

I forgot: Sweet Grandmotherly type. Can I have a cookie Grandma? Very Happy

Sam
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Quit flirtin' so shamelessly - and tryin' to use that psychobabble rap on EJ.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, Hondo's onto you, too. Wink

::::passing out cookies::::

I don't know what to think of this Kerry discharge thing - I think my head is too full.

Would it be too much to ask the leftist media in our country to go to the sources that could ask such questions and get to the bottom of this?

I know, I know.... "Yes, it IS too much to ask."

We're probably not going to find a definitive answer before the election, but some of us don't plan on quitting on this stuff after the election, no matter which way it goes.

This ISN'T politics, as usual - this is personal. And I won't be happy until that scum-sucking liar is soundly discredited forever.

THEN we get to work on the MSM and the NEXT election.
William
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., thanks for your expert responses. So as I understand it, an USNR/OCS officer, was only eligible for temporary appointments to ranks below LCDR, and was not eligible for permanent promotion as an USN/academy grad would be. That’s what I was hoping to hear!

Bear with me here, because I think this could be an important piece of circumstantial evidence bearing on the nature of Kerry’s discharge that I haven’t seen discussed anywhere before. [/ego]

There are two viable theories for Kerry’s “discharge mystery”

1. NavyCheif’s “bad paper - Carter amnesty” hypothesis (the one my heart wants to believe)

2. Hondo’s “2x failed to promote – involuntary separation” hypothesis (the Occam’s Razor favorite to explain the known data, in my opinion)

But, in the unlikely event that I am correct here, the history and regulations surrounding Kerry’s temporary appointments may support the” bad paper” hypothesis and tend to disprove the “failed to promote” hypothesis.

Kerry’s appointments to LT(jg) and LT were all TEMPORARY. Apparently, they were subject to TERMINATION under the applicable authority cited in Kerry’s temporary appointments: Title10 U.S. Code, Section 5784.

Office of the Law Revision Counsel, U.S. House of Representatives at <uscode.house.gov> says:
Quote:
Section 5784, related to temporary promotions of ensigns in Navy to grade of lieutenant (junior grade) and second lieutenants in Marine Corps to grade of first lieutenant. See section 603 of this title.

Thus section 603 appears to be the contemporary version of 5784. (This is admittedly a weak link in my line of logic; I haven’t yet found the original text of section 5784)

The subparagraphs of 10USC603 applicable to termination of temporary appointments are:
Quote:
(f) Unless sooner terminated, an appointment under this section
terminates on the earliest of the following:
(1) The second anniversary of the appointment.
(2) The end of the six-month period beginning on the last day
of the war or national emergency during which the appointment was
made.
(3) The date the person appointed is released from active duty.

Kerry’s temporary appointments documented on his web site were:
Quote:
(1) 16 June 1968, Temporary Appointment to LT(jg), effective 16 June 1968.
(2) 1 Dec 1969, Superseding Temporary Appointment to LT(jg).
(3) 27 Nov 1970, Temporary Appointment to LT USNR, effective 1 Jan 1970.
(4) 17 Dec 1970, Temporary Appointment to ? (refers to “reverse” which is not posted)

So, Kerry’s first temporary appointment to LT(jg) (1) is “renewed” by superseding temporary appointment (2) before it terminates due to 10USC603(f)(1) – second anniversary

Kerry’s temporary appointment to LT (3) is “renewed” by temporary appointment (4), to reverse termination per 10USC603(f)(3) – release from active duty.

For Kerry to be discharged as LT on 18 Feb 1978, he needs at least three more temporary appointments to LT because his temporary appointment (4) would have terminated per 10USC603(f)(1) - second anniversary - and he would have been discharged as an ensign, not LT.

But, if Kerry was discharged before Dec 1972 (he was eligible for discharge 18 Feb 1972), he would have still held his temporary appointment to LT per temporary appointment (4)

Kerry hasn’t been shy about releasing his appointment records. He has posted a virtual smokescreen of confusing multiple postings of extra copies of temporary appointments at the end of a long pdf, preceded by a bunch of boring temporary duty and travel documents. Perhaps he is trying to obscure the fact that he has too few appointments?

He isn’t missing his records from the Naval Reserve Manpower Center, Bainbridge, where the missing appointment records should have originated. Appointments (3) and (4) are from Bainbridge.

Again, I’m probably missing something obvious here. I don’t claim to know anything about the ins and outs of officer promotion and retention. But, on the chance that my reasoning is correct, I’m posting this for you all to tear apart because, if it’s correct, it may add significant support to NavyChief’s hypothesis.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William:

I don't think you're correct here. The last of Kerry's appointments was on 27 Nov 1970. This was his appointment as LT in the Naval Reserve. The 17 Dec 1970 document you reference as an appointment appears to be the forwarding transmittal of his 27 Nov 1970 appointment to LT and the endorsement by which Kerry accepted same. My guess is that the 17 Dec 1970 document was actually printed on the back of the 27 Nov 1970 appointment (hence the "in paragraph 1 on the reverse").

My opinion is that this 27 Nov 1970 document was in fact Kerry's promotion to LT in the USNR, and that no further appointment action was necessary after that time.

Moreover, Kerry's 27 Nov 1970 appointment occurred long after he had left active duty. It therefore could not have been an appointment to a temporary active duty rank. In contrast, the appointments to LT(JG) you reference appear to be exactly that.

Appointments under 10 USC 5784 were appointments to temporary active duty rank during wartime or national emergency. (See my post above about the Byzantine and complex Regular/Reserve/Temporary officer rank system of the era. No, I wasn't kidding when I wrote it - that is really how officer ranks were done prior to DOPMA being implemented in the early 1980s.) Kerry's 1 Dec 1969 appointment to LT(JG) was of this type. Looks to me like his 16 Jun 1968 appointment also falls into this category; since it only references an old personnel reg, I can't be sure.

Regarding the laws governing Kerry's 27 Nov 1970 appointment: according to the US Code collection at Legal Information Institute site provided by Cornell University (http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/), 10 USC 5910 "provided that officers in Naval Reserve and Marine Corps Reserve could be promoted under regulations prescribed by Secretary of the Navy." Similarly, 10 USC 5891 "related to officers in active status in Naval Reserve and Marine Corps Reserve who could be promoted." Active status in a reserve component is in general NOT the same thing as "serving on active duty"; it typically means the Reservist is in "good standing" and may be among the first in line for recall. Current examples are drilling reservists, IMAs, members of the IRR, and Standby Reserve (Active Status List) - although this last group is much harder to recall than the others I list, and may not have even existed before passage of the Reserve Officer Personnel Management Act in 1995.

To reiterate: Kerry's 27 Nov 1970 appointment to LT in the USNR seems to me to have been his Reserve promotion to LT. Since reservists serve "at the pleasure of the president", all reserve promotions are technically temporary (vice the - at the time - statutorily permanent nature of "Regular" promotions). I think this fact is why the language "temporary appointment" appears on this document. I could be wrong; any Navy personnel types of the era reading this, please weigh in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't misunderstand. I would love to see DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE that Kerry received something other than an honorable discharge between 1970 and 1978. I simply haven't seen it yet. Moreover, my layman's analysis of the laws referenced on his 1978 discharge letter (see http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13492) leads me to believe that this is highly improbable - although it seems to me to be deserved, given his postwar conduct.

Navy Chief: if you're holding back high cards, maybe now's the time to play an ace - two weeks and counting down.

Last edited by Hondo on Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: