SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flag Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Flag Question Reply with quote

We had a death in the family and was clearing out all the stuff and found a flag. This is a coffin flag that was my grandfather's. It has stains on it and was thinking about washing it on the delicate cycle, but then I thought is there special requirements to clean a flag? What is so cool about this one, it only has 48 stars. I thought that this would be a great place to ask as there are many Veterans that come here. Thanks for any help.

I want this for my son and does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do with it?

Last edited by JannDallas on Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many dry cleaners will clean the flag for free. Just had mine done. The best way to display the flag, in my opinion, is to have it properly folded into a triangle and placed in a flag display box with a class cover. A small metal plate could be added to provide information about the flag. The display cases can be purchased over the internet, or maybe at a flag shop. Your local VFW could probably help you with how to fold the flag, etc. This would be a great heirloom!
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 star flags were the US ensign from Arizona til Alaska (1912-1958). In the '80s we still kept a 48 star 'Pearl Harbor Flag' in the our flagbag. My DDG wasn't that old and some Pineapple sailor might know the significance.

The glass covered display box is a 'Shadow Box' and often comes with compartments for decorations, rate and ratings duly presented postumously or at retirement.

Dirty flags? I was called to the quarter deck by a concerned OOD. The JG must have remembered something from Boy Scouts and wondered if he should muster a party to ceremonially burn the stern post ensign soiled by blowing back against the lifelines. I told him that at $30 a pop from ServMart I would wash it.

Last edited by I B Squidly on Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I am going to look in the shadow box idea. I knew this was the place to come to.
MichaelP
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

JannDallas wrote:
I am going to look in the shadow box idea. I knew this was the place to come to.

I got mine from Michael's craft store they have all different ones.
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you unfold the flag, don't loose the brass shell's (from the 21 g.s.). I am not sure if it is normal, but they put some in side my fathers flag before they gave it to me.

Stolen Honor
ATACKM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of a VET wrote:
When you unfold the flag, don't loose the brass shell's (from the 21 g.s.). I am not sure if it is normal, but they put some in side my fathers flag before they gave it to me.

"On behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a token of the honorable and faithful service of your loved one."

Usually there are only three brass shell casings wrapped up inside of the folded flag. This three round volley was originally a signal to stop the battle. The wounded and Dead would be removed from the battlefield and then a three round volley would resume fighting ! Talk about Duty, Honor and Trust. WoW!

This Flag should only be professionally cleaned and Preserved. Many veterans groups are collecting and formally destroying worn and tattered flags. Also if you would like to honor a veteran that has passed away, You may also have a Flag requested to be flown over the State or Federal capital building in honor of the deceased. They will also do this on a particular holiday or anniversary at your request. "I hope that this helps some."
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Flags Reply with quote

I have my grandparent's flag flown over the Capitol for their 50th Anniversary and that is the one I fly at my house. I have the coffin flag and for my son's first birthday, he is 13 now, I had a flag flown for him. For some of my closer friends and am at a loss at what to give them, I have the flag flown for them as gifts honoring a special occasion in their life.

The older flag is in really really good shape, just stained. Taking it to the cleaners tomorrow. Thanks for all the info about the history.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father's flad in desplayed in my den in a shadow box. You can get the glass etched with the name, rank, years of service, branch... etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: