SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stolen Honor -Sinclair backpedaling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
concernedgranny
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Stolen Honor -Sinclair backpedaling Reply with quote

Fox just saying that Sinclair might not show Stolen Honor in its entirety. That they are backpedaling. Let's get on this.
ArmyMedicsMom
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I have seen Mark Hyrman(?) speak about the airing, he says it may or may not be the entire film. He said if Kerry were to come forward, with others, it would be a discussion, with most of the film or 10 minutes of the film, depending on how they decide to present it. I think the jist is they want to present a discussion of the POWs, Vietnam Vets, John Kerry and the effects of the era.

http://www.alsabaah.com/iframe.php?file=http://www.alsabaah.com/English.html
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura Ingraham just plugged it this morning when she had O'Neill on. Fox sure can be National Enquirer at times.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communism is winning....may the USA rest in peace.....
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I have ever read or heard that they would be showing all of Stolen Honor. In fact, I think they said (heard this on the radio) it would be an hour long news show that presented both sides.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rparrott21 wrote:
Communism is winning....may the USA rest in peace.....

This is so outrageous! Sinclair should air Stolen Honor in its entirety. I do not recall Fox or anyone else wining for that moron film Ferinheit 9/11 to be shown in bits and pieces. Twisted Evil
concernedgranny
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the impression that this is something different as Fox did it as a Fox News Alert. Said they did not have any more information. And yes, I did take it as though they might not show it at all. Fox sounded like it was internal pressure.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you how sick to my stomach I get thinking my daughter might have to live in a world ruled by people like Kerry , Hillary, Soros............

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/10/19/164108.shtml

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=40998
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this letter back from a sponsor (excuse my use of quote boxes, it's all the same letter).

Quote:
Thank you for contacting General Mills.

Many consumers have written to share their views on this issue. Some have urged General Mills to use its influence as an advertiser to ensure that the media reports the news in an unbiased manner. Some have urged General Mills to continue advertising, and have threatened to withdraw support for our products if we alter our advertising plans. Passions run deep on both sides, particularly this close to an election.

Whenever possible, General Mills does strive to preview the programs on which our advertising appears. We do so to assure that we do not advertise on programs inconsistent with the family-oriented nature of our products. This works well with entertainment programs produced and available for advance screening, but pre-screening of news broadcasts is usually not possible.

Our view in this area is clear. We believe one of the fundamental elements of our society is the freedom of the press. Companies such as ours, in our view, should not attempt to influence, control or pre-empt the content of news through the leverage of advertising sponsorship. To do so would undermine that fundamental freedom.

From time to time, any one of us as viewers may consider a particular news story to be inaccurate or imbalanced. News organizations do err. Judgment is not always well applied. One major news organization recently acknowledged that errors were made in stories relating to the current presidential election. When such errors occur, certainly a price is paid in terms of reputation. But errors and questionable judgment are an acceptable price to pay, in our view, to assure the presence of a free and independent media in our society.

As viewers, each of us is free to make a choice. We can choose to patronize or not patronize programs with our viewership. We can choose to patronize or not patronize particular television stations, or even entire networks.

Quote:
Similarly, advertisers may choose not to sponsor certain broadcasts, a particular network or specific publications because of their journalistic standards and judgment. But advertisers should not attempt to control or pre-empt news programming prior to broadcast or publication. That, in our view, would be inappropriate.

In this instance, as in the example cited earlier, passionate voices are calling on advertisers to insert themselves into the election by threatening to boycott those who remove or who do not remove their advertising.

We choose to stand with freedom of the press.

We welcome the views that you and others have shared with us. You may rest assured that we will remind the networks we sponsor that the integrity of their reporting reflects on the companies that advertise during their broadcasts.

Hopefully, you will understand our views – and the importance we place on a free press.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and share your views.

Sincerely,

General Mills
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noc wrote:
I'm not sure that I have ever read or heard that they would be showing all of Stolen Honor. In fact, I think they said (heard this on the radio) it would be an hour long news show that presented both sides.

Yes, that is what Sinclair actually said from the begining.
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raleigh N&O says this morning that "A POW Story: Politics, Pressure and the Media" will air at 8 pm Friday on WLFL-TV. This is produced by Sinclair, hosted by Jeff Barnd, an anchor at Sinclair's WBFF-TV in Baltimore, using footage from 'Stolen Honor' and other political documentaries while examining allegations of media bias.

From the beginning, Mark Hyman did say they were putting together a news program and may not show 'Stolen Honor' in its entirety.

The story is on Drudge now, from The NYT. It's also in The Washington Post (I can't copy either one; perhaps someone who can will copy them here.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: