SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History repeating itself (over and over)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: History repeating itself (over and over) Reply with quote

I'm not sure why I'm writing this. It probably won't be read by many, and it's not going to engender the "I'm more outraged than you" string of comments that keeps a thread visible. But in these very trying times, it might be useful for some to remember that we've seen all this before, i.e., history really does repeat itself, and that there might be some lessons to be learned from the past.

Some years ago I read a very insightful and comprehensive article (cannot for the life of me remember where) about the whole history of Richard M. Nixon and the liberal, elitist media (LEM). What many of the older members may remember is that Nixon was absolutely paranoid about the media. What most of you may not realize was that Nixon's "war" with the media started in 1960 when he ran against the favored son of the LEM - guess who? - John F. Kennedy, who was from the Northeast, and considered by the LEMs to be worldly, suave and intellectual (high virtues to them). I cannot remember what the article said about exactly how it all started, but many of the media representatives in the northeast came as close as one could get to making a blood oath to pulling Nixon down soon after 1960.

Many people seem to have forgotten that Nixon won the race for his second term with a landslide vote which infuriated the LEMs. They hounded him until Nixon was caught making that stupid blunder called Watergate. And in the history-repeating-itself theme of this note, do I need to remind you that when the LEM hit its peak of frenzy in the late 1960s, John Kerry was just becoming known as a national figure when he returned from Vietnam and began his anti-war activities.

The following article, dated 18 March 1988, reads like it could have been written last week.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n5_v40/ai_6454871

It reminds us that the LEMs rose up again to try to influence and win the election of Ronald Reagan from the voters (again, despite their activism, Regan won by a landslide). And they tried again with George Bush, Sr. (probably less heartily since he might have been seen as a wayward son of the old Northeastern Elitists).

So in the context of 45 years of (almost) forgotten political history, the LEM(ming) press is not new. But we have not seen the vehemence of the LEM press since those early days when they were attacking Richard Nixon for all they were worth. Is it just a coincidence that their present-day vehemence arises when a Kennedy protégé, and by all appearances, a Northeastern "worldly, suave, intellectual" is again running?

I think it might be notable to point out two lessons-learned for me: 1) the LEMs will not likely go back into their holes should Kerry lose, and 2) despite all their efforts, when the LEMs were at their most strident, the candidates they opposed won by land slides. Let's hope this part of history-repeating-itself, at least, comes true.

When the emotion of this election is over, it might be an interesting exercise for the more historically-minded members to go back and review all this ancient history. I can guarantee you we will see it again.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think it might be notable to point out two lessons-learned for me: 1) the LEMs will not likely go back into their holes should Kerry lose, and 2) despite all their efforts, when the LEMs were at their most strident, the candidates they opposed won by land slides. Let's hope this part of history-repeating-itself, at least, comes true."

Amen. Thank you for posting this.
momofthreegirls
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the old saying "the more things change the more they stay the same," remains true. In other words SSDD; same stuff different day (or something like that). Wink
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not old enough to remember Nixon or much of Viet Nam. The only thing that I have done is read and studied both. I can see where media has been doing the yellow journalism thing for a long long time.

They are the ultimate source of thinking the American people are stupid since alot of us dont bow down and worship them and take their print as gosspil. I truely believe the Ultra Left and the Elitist Media wants to ultimately turn this nation to communism, where the First Admendment and all rights are suppressed for their power to grow. Bottom line that is what is going on right now.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However today we have the new media and the 1971 Kerry statements would never survive the scrutiny of AM radio or pajama heads of today. If we would have all been online working together like this in 1971 their never would have been a Senator Kerry running for CIC in 2004.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

momofthreegirls wrote:
I guess the old saying "the more things change the more they stay the same," remains true. In other words SSDD; same stuff different day (or something like that). Wink

Well... there is something new in the mix.

The Internet and the blogs.

Will that change things regarding the MSM? I believe it will.

Patience.

-- FDL
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldwarvet wrote:
However today we have the new media and the 1971 Kerry statements would never survive the scrutiny of AM radio or pajama heads of today. If we would have all been online working together like this in 1971 their never would have ever been a Senator Kerry running for CIC in 2004.

CWV

Amen Brother. My brother-in-law works for the Social Security Administration along with my wife. I guess they had a little liberal protest across the street. Of course they started Bush Bashing and my brother-in-law who happens to be a decorated Veit Vet made the statement that he could not understand what I saw in Dubya. He is in the ABB crowd. The wife said she wished she had not told me cause I went of on a really good tirade.

Then it hit me. My Brother-in-law gets his "news" from the networks and the Liberal Rag the KC Star and I get my news from the new media. That is the difference between my self and him.
USAF66-70
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker:
Quote:
But in these very trying times, it might be useful for some to remember that we've seen all this before, i.e., history really does repeat itself, and that there might be some lessons to be learned from the past.

I think the recent Movie, Team America (my favorite part is when Susan Sarandon’s head explodes; Hollywood people, evangelists, terrorists, etc. will probably be offended by the movie; GI’s will probably LTFAO; don’t take your kids), explains this phenomenon best. I’ll use the same terminology employed in the flick, but keep in mind that the movie articulates things more eloquently than my brief explanation:

Moderator Edit: Please Keep the language to within reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: