SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting Healthcare costs in perspective

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Putting Healthcare costs in perspective Reply with quote

The other day I got caught up in a conversation with two liberals on healthcare. It happened between the 1st and 2nd debates and they were both clueless on tort reform and how it affects healthcare costs. When they couldn't argue with me there one of them (works for a major government contractor) said that she was paying $279 a month for the healthcare for her and her two daughters (I'd love to only be paying $279, mine is over $500) and if the cost went up anymore, she didn't know what she would do, she wouldn't be able to afford healthcare for herself and her daughters. I knew she drove a brand new fully loaded Honda Accord and I knew her car payment was over $279 a month. So I said to her, "You know, I remember when you got your new car a few months ago and I remember how much you are paying in car payments. Are you telling me that your car is more important to you than the health of yourself and your two children?" She had no response. So the other liberal, who drives an old car spoke up. "Well what about me, I'm not making car payments, I live paycheck to paycheck. I pay $97 a month just for myself and if it goes up anymore, I won't be able to afford it." She thought she had me. But I asked her if she was still smoking 2 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day and realizing what was about to come, she meekly replied that she was. I responded, "So you're paying more each month to destroy your health than you are willing to pay to preserve it?"

When I had them both over a barrel on the healthcare issue, they resorted to George W Bush is just a horrible, evil man. And I said, "I find him very appealing and sexy" and walked away.

Funny part is when I got home and told my husband who always complains about what we pay for our own health insurance and we have 3 car payments in the $1400 range for 4 cars. He said, well I'll never complain about what we pay for health insurance again, you just put it in perspective for me too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: