SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Most Fun Voting I Have Ever Had

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VAW11_Vet
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: The Most Fun Voting I Have Ever Had Reply with quote

We are voting here in Texas and the turnout had been unbelieveably large and the waits at some locations are long.

For my 60th birthday this month my wife gave me a large box of goodies that are all anti Kerry...bumper sticker...buttons...tee shirt...and my favorite is the ball cap.

I wore the cap to the polls this week and was waiting patiently in line when I was approached by a "poll watcher" who told me I would have to remove my hat if I wanted to vote. I removed the hat, looked at it lovingly and asked, "why?" and put the hat back on. She tells me it is because I cannot "electioneer" that close to the polls.

I again take off my hat, look at it lovingly, and ask her "how is this electioneering?" and put the hat back on. She explains that it is a violation of the law to have signs or others things that support my candidate within the area marked. For the third time I remove my hat, look at it lovingly, and ask her, "who am I supporting?" and put the hat back on.

She is becoming very aggitated and tells me, "well obviously BUSH!" Not President Bush or George Bush but just BUSH. I politely ask her if she is a democratic poll watcher and she tells me she is. I ask her to get a republican poll watcher as well so that we can balanced discussion regarding my hat.

I very slowly and politely repeat what the conversation has been to the republican poll watcher and then ask the democratic poll watcher if what I have said is correct. She agrees and then adds the ever popular BUT! "But, he cannot wear that hat in line while he is waiting to vote."

It is at this point that I once again remove my hat, point out that I am indeed a "Proud Vietnam Vet" and that I am absolutely "Against John Kerry." Then I add "BUT" no where on this hat does it say I am for anyone or supporting anyone in particular. "BUT" you are free to assume anything that you want.

I put my hat back on and remained in line.

All of the poll watchers got together and held a poll watchers meeting on the spot. I assumed they were reading and discussing the rules regarding electioneering. In a few minutes the republican poll watcher came back and stated loud enough for all to hear, "you may wear you hat, sir...and thank you." The people in line all applauded...good conservative Texans all!

Here is a picture of the hat that I copied from the site where my wife purchased it.

Last edited by VAW11_Vet on Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go man! I wish I could of been there with you to tell them to kiss my rosy-red kerry! Laughing
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Wish you had been at my polling place in Texas.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weellll...I woulda made you take off the hat, and I am about as PRO-BUSH as you can get. But it's a close call, as you were saying you were against Kerry, without endorsing any other candidate specifically. I mean, technically you could have been standing in line to write-in John O'Neill's name.

But, I would have made you take off the hat because I wouldn't have wanted to give the darksiders and evildoers any ammo for the "voter intimidation" BS.

But you sound like a stubborn one and I would have had my hands full with you, eh? Wink Maybe you woulda incited all those good conservatives to riot! ACK!

North Island! Pt. Loma/Coronado Island howdy!
azTrish
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story, way to go!!

Trish
PrinceLazar
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac wrote:
Weellll...I woulda made you take off the hat, and I am about as PRO-BUSH as you can get. But it's a close call, as you were saying you were against Kerry, without endorsing any other candidate specifically. I mean, technically you could have been standing in line to write-in John O'Neill's name.

But, I would have made you take off the hat because I wouldn't have wanted to give the darksiders and evildoers any ammo for the "voter intimidation" BS.

But you sound like a stubborn one and I would have had my hands full with you, eh? Wink Maybe you woulda incited all those good conservatives to riot! ACK!

North Island! Pt. Loma/Coronado Island howdy!

Vietnam vets keep impressing me with their strong stances.

GREAT!!!

Need some wood?!?!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!

No bullying, no obnoxious behavior, just the facts, delivered politely.

BZ's! Made my day!
Kimmymac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince: if you are talking to me (you talking to me? huh? you talking to me?) I am not a VietVet. I am no kinda vet. My daddy was, my father in law was, my brother is, my husband is, and now two of my kids are in Iraq, but I am just another no real job wife and mom.

And besides, I was a mere infant during Viet Nam. Wink
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in- "New trend: Voters intimidating pollsters nationwide!"

VAW11_Vet - You just made my "hero" list! Very Happy

SOTG
Son of a VET

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's wonderful! Very Happy

Stolen Honor
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! I just read somewhere (our local newspaper maybe?) the rules for 'voting attire' -- you can't carry a sign but you can WEAR anything you darn well please -- Dubya t-shirts, buttons, hats, socks, or anti-Kerry stuff, whatever. So let's ALL have fun when we vote! Cool
pneal
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool VERRRRRY COOOOL VAW II Vet!!! That's the way to do it. Kill'em with kindness.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was scanning down the list of posts, and wondered why this one had so many replies. So I clicked on and discovered why.

Great job Very Happy

Does that web site offer overnight delivery for fat heads like me? We vote on Tuedsay, with the stragglers apparently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: