SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's Medals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewrobyn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Kerry's Medals Reply with quote

Gents,
As a Vietnam vet myself (Army), I thank you for your service then and now. Question

Questions (and I hope I'm not replowing an old furrow):
1. Who was Kerry's CO when his Bronze Satr and Silver Star were approved and why did he sign off on them?
2. Who gathered the witness statements and who wrote the citations?
3. I never heard of the rule stating 3 PHs and you could leave theater. Where is that to be found in writing?

Thanks for your attention. Keep up your great work on behalf of the truth.
SDG,
EWR
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ewrobyn, from another Army Vietnam vet. Very Happy

A while back, I visited Kerry's website to see what records he released. It made me chuckle to see his "citiations" were actually the orders only.

Elsewhere, I read that it was Rassman, the one he pulled out of the river, that put him for the Bronze Star. Best I remember, Rassman was enlisted and I've never heard of enlisted putting officers in for any medals Laughing
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Hello ewrobyn, from another Army Vietnam vet. Very Happy

A while back, I visited Kerry's website to see what records he released. It made me chuckle to see his "citiations" were actually the orders only.

Elsewhere, I read that it was Rassman, the one he pulled out of the river, that put him for the Bronze Star. Best I remember, Rassman was enlisted and I've never heard of enlisted putting officers in for any medals Laughing

Rassman was a Nung advisor and as I understand it a 2nd LT at the time.

He would have had to submit a recommendation to George Elliot for the award to be processed. He was assigned to a separate (not Navy) unit miles away from An Thoi.

I suspect, but can't prove it until all of Kerry's records are released, that Kerry wrote himself up and claimed Rassman as a principal. I Don't really know: it's just speculation based on experience.

I do not know where Rassman was stationed at the time on the mainland but Kerry was at An Thoi which is an Island about 10 miles (I think) offshore.

Doug Reese may recall more of Rassman's assignment and location.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I heard Lt. Rassman state, yesterday on the Woodruff CNN program, that it was he who had submitted Kerry for a Silver Star that got knocked down to a BS. Not 100% positive tho...perhaps there's a transcript.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
I think I heard Lt. Rassman state, yesterday on the Woodruff CNN program, that it was he who had submitted Kerry for a Silver Star that got knocked down to a BS. Not 100% positive tho.

Jay,

You're right, he's said that....But how did he do it? He was not a part of COSDIV 11. George Elliott has said he never met Rassman. So How.......?

Remember An Thoi is an island and Rassman was stationed on the mainland as a Nung Advisor. That's the question for Rassman. How did you recommend Kerry for the SS? By Radio?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB, thanks for the correction on Rassman. I wasn't sure, so said I had heard it. Still, even as an Army officer, how does one put in a fellow Navy officer for a medal?

Actually, I don't think even Audie Murphy got as many medals as fast as Kerry did. And, Murphy spent a lot longer than 4 months in combat.
inlikeflint
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
ASPB, thanks for the correction on Rassman. I wasn't sure, so said I had heard it. Still, even as an Army officer, how does one put in a fellow Navy officer for a medal?

Actually, I don't think even Audie Murphy got as many medals as fast as Kerry did. And, Murphy spent a lot longer than 4 months in combat.

Oh man.. where's my e-tool?

Kerry compared to Audie Murphy... Thats like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Corvette... I know this, Audie Murphy was not a seaman.

The question is a good one. If John Kerry hold medals that were just handed out like c-rations, then maybe all the other soldiers under that command got theirs the same way.
Gee... I remember when everyone was wrong, everyone was all right.

If Kerry had been a scout, he would not be getting this kind of treatment... If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin.

Bosnia 95-96 Z.O.S. Mutants -Too much butter to list.

ACLU member
VFW member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: