SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strategy for Bush Win in Hawaii

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Strategy for Bush Win in Hawaii Reply with quote

A STRATEGY TO GET BUSH TO HAWAII [10/28 12:50 PM]

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerryspot.asp

This is from Kerry Spot reader Justin, who may make a great campaign consultant someday:

If I was part of the Bush campaign, I would seriously consider a brief trip to Hawaii. Two big questions:

How could he do it without costing up time in other battleground states?
By using the time zones to his advantage, Bush could pull it off. Most of the campaigning takes place in the Central and Eastern Time Zones. Hawaii is five hours behind Central Time and six hours behind Eastern Time. If he left the Central or Eastern time zone in the late afternoon/early evening, he could arrive in Hawaii for a late rally. Jump off the Air Force One and deliver the stump speech while the rest of the US sleeps, and then head back stateside overnight. It would be a very brief visit, but it could be done. Remember too, that Saturday night provides an extra hour due to Daylight Savings Time.

Why would he do it? First, Hawaii may be close. The RCP average shows Bush with a .9% lead. Second, a visit to the islands would get more than it's fair share of press. Coverage would see this as brilliant at best and only a novelty at worst. Third, there's probably no state in the union that would have as high an electoral payoff relative to the amount of time actually spent in the state. A few hours on the ground could reap huge benefits in a close state because these are voters that are historically ignored. A candidate who meets with them face to face - even if it's brief - could sway a lot of undecided voters. Finally, a surprise overnight trip partways around the globe could remind some voters Bush's Thanksgiving trip to Iraq which was one of the highlights of his term in office which certainly wouldn't be a bad reminder.

I'm not a travel or campaign logistics expert, but I think if he could pull this off, 4 electoral votes in Hawaii would be a whole lot easier to mine with just one visit than the war of attrition that is the battle for New Hampshire's four votes.

I think the idea is brilliant, but then again, what do I know?
Islander
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of military in the islands. Get to them to get the vote out in the islands. Their unemployment is very low now and so the move to the Bush. Remember, everything is shipped in. When 9/11 hit, it was a ghost town there as tourism died overnight. There is a very intense fight now for mayor in Honolulu. The islanders fee ignored and now I'm told an add ran from the Kerry campaign with Clinton, from my cousin:
"Today, Clinton came out strong for Kerry with a televised message to HI people. He had the gaul to say that Kerry is for the Filipino Vets and the
Hawaiian movement. Where the hell was he before, now that HI is becoming a swing state Kerry is coming out of the wood work kow towing to Filipinos and Hawaiians. They already know the local Japanese are
mostly liberal so they are going after the other racial minorities as nsurance. Every veteran organization is supporting Dalton Tanonaka, a half Korean/half Japanese candidate running against Representative
Abercrombie...he is the epitome of the left in HI, so far left that he could fall off the cliff one day. Although Dalton is way behind in the polls, this is the closest any candidate has come to beating this turkey in the last 20 yrs. "

got to get some ads out there. They are already distributing Stolen Honor via the internet.
lwilson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On his way back to the mainland, he could stop in Alaska to refuel and visit the newly constructed missile defense site, another promise he has delivered on.
lwilson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On his way back to the mainland, he could stop in Alaska to refuel and visit the newly constructed missile defense site, another promise he has delivered on.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

REACTION TO THE HAWAII IDEA [10/28 03:01 PM]

Many readers weighed in on the idea of Bush traveling to Hawaii. The consensus is that the trip out there and back would take up a lot of valuable time, and possibly leave Bush tired (and we know Bush doesn't campaign at his best when he's tired - but then, who does?).

However, many readers also suggest that a Bush surrogate could go to Hawaii - perhaps George H.W. Bush to go skydiving? John McCain?

Also, here's a thought. Have Bush make his final campaign stop on the evening Nov. 1 — in Texas, presumably, but maybe New Mexico. Then hop on Air Force One and fly through the night to Hawaii. Arrive in Hawaii on Election Day for a rally and speech at the Pearl Harbor memorial (suggested by Vital Kerry Spot Reader Pete) talking about the importance of protecting the homeland, and going on offense against those who would seek to harm Americans, be it 1941 or 2001. Then fly back to Texas for the rest of the election arriving Election Night.

Many readers ask if I have any pull or can pass on messages to the Bush campaign. I hear secondhand that folks in the Bush-Cheney campaign read the Kerry Spot, but I don't think Rove and company sit around and ask, "So what does Geraghty think?"

UPDATE: A wise guy at the RNC e-mails in, "We gotta get Tom Selleck out there with TJ and Rick. Magnum, P.I. for Bush!"
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then hop on Air Force One and fly through the night to Hawaii. Arrive in Hawaii on Election Day for a rally and speech at the Pearl Harbor memorial (suggested by Vital Kerry Spot Reader Pete) talking about the importance of protecting the homeland, and going on offense against those who would seek to harm Americans, be it 1941 or 2001. Then fly back to Texas for the rest of the election arriving Election Night.

Actually..this is brilliant..MY DAD would Love this one and so would his WWII buds..I say he goes for it, what the heck..it IS worth the 4 votes!!

PD

www.timetotakeastand.blogspot.com
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the part about camparing Pearl Harbor to today's enemy.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that kerry was spotted near the GoldenGate Bridge, heading due west on his sail-board! Wink
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing --- GO THERE ---- That state could mean EVERYTHING.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO (guess) #41 and the twins will be going to Hawaii.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: