SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I adopted a soldier today!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: I adopted a soldier today! Reply with quote

My friends..I thoughts instead of talking the talk..I needed to walk the walk, and so my dh and I did that just now. We heard on Rush's show today about operation ac. I did not know of this..well, after hearing the lady, who is begging for people to help..I went and adopted me a soldier. Although I will not be able to share info about him or her, I will keep you updated on my new "adoptee". How wonderful my dh is..we decided instead of Christmas for each other this year..the money will be given to our guy or gal in the form of heaters or whatever they need..it is the least we can do..the very least. I have included the link, in case anyone is interested... Wink

https://www58.safesecureweb.com/operationac/index.htm

if that does not work..it is www.operationac.org

Thanks all for listening, and I hope you can help..

hugs to all,
PD

www.timetotakeastand.blogspot.com
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! I too adopted 2 soldier units - 1 in Afghanistan and 1 in Iraq from the www.anysoldier.com site. I think I am going to donate to the operationac.com site as well. It is a small price to pay compared to what they are sacrificing.

Recommendation on the shipping - use the boxes from the Postal service - priority mail boxes, I think (SooZQ told me about them), - you can ship them for $3.85 and stuff them with a lot of stuff!

If you use a regular box, try to keep it light - I sent a 15 lb. box, and it cost about $35.00 to ship to Iraq!
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
bk_mo
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: adopt a soldier Reply with quote

Thanks to all I'm a proud troop mom too Very Happy What a great feeling it is too.
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Recommendation on the shipping - use the boxes from the Postal service - priority mail boxes, I think (SooZQ told me about them), - you can ship them for $3.85 and stuff them with a lot of stuff!

Actually it is the "flat rate" priority envelopes that are only $3.85, no matter what they weigh. They don't work well for breakables, but for magazines, power bars, warm socks and the like they work great!!
Just load em up and wrap with a couple of layers of shipping tape to reinforce the outside.

Congratulations on your 'adoption' news. I sent my first boxes 3 weeks ago, and have been advertizing in any way I can think of since. AnySoldier.com is great for in depth info about what to send and how to send packages, including prohibited items and info on customs forms.
They also promote other soldier adoption networks on their site.

It's wonderful to think that we can do something tangible to bless
these brave folks in harms way!

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
azTrish
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was buying up multiples of razors, tampons, nail clippers combs shampoos soaps, mini flashlights and batteries nuts, small packaged foods, magazines, newspapers and some great coupon items the point is many of the few items. for three units from anysoldier.us same as .com .. Well this was mid morning and the irate look on a ladies face behind me because I had the multiples but the girl had to ring them seperate was not nice, I just held my breath.

I had wish I had a bumper sticker on my butt, anysoldier.us but I did mention it to the cashier to pass on the site to others to help make a few soldiers day!!

3 say 12 x 12 larger ones and 3 about 18x 10 only cost 51.00 to send I believe to NewYork and Cali the clerk had said.

Trish
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also "adopted" 2 soldier units myself using the www.AnySoldier.us and www.TreatAnySoldier.com programs. Both are stationed in Iraq. One unit is from my home state. I am working on making my own more personalized care packages and plan to support these men and women on a frequent basis.

ANY program that helps us help our troops is a great way for us at home to truly show support for the brave men and women who fight for the freedoms of others and ourselves.
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless all of you! Everytime I hear about things such as this my heart hurts because I truly do not have any extra $'s to put out with my own husband being disabled and a child with autism, and work for me is hard to come by these days.

One of these days I hope to help in someway with support of $'s, but in the mean time I hope my humble prayers for all of you and all our soldiers is recieved by all.

Smile
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your prayers are the best support of all Doll!
Also, they make the point on AnySoldier.com that it
doesn't have to be a package. Letters and cards
of encouragement also brighten their days and let
them know that we support and appreciate them. Very Happy

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Adopt a Soldier Reply with quote

I adopted a soldier about two weeks ago. She is a medic in Iraq. I guess I went overboard and sent her 6 packages the first week jammed packed with different stuff. Then a 1st Lt. asked for help with 10 men in his unit in Iraq and 7 bigger packages went out last week with all sorts of goodies.

Our local Super Target had one pack of 4 Everready batteries for AAA and AA on sale for a buck. In case the sale is in your area and still going on, it is a great buy. Sent each man two packs each of both AAA and AA.

My local dentist has lots and lots of magazines that they toss out once a week, they are now saving those magazines for me. Check with your local dentist, doctors, etc offices and they may do same for you.
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooooH! Great idea on the magazines Jann!
I've wanted to send some out but they are so
expensive. This is a great solution!! Yya!

Yes, it does "hook" ya! Everytime I shop I bring
something home to send to the troops. lol! Laughing

I'm trying to do more letter writing, with just a few
items, to increase the number of "encouragements"
arriving. I'm trying to stre-e-e-e-e-e-tch the bucks!

GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Adopt a Soldier Reply with quote

JannDallas wrote:
I adopted a soldier about two weeks ago. She is a medic in Iraq. I guess I went overboard and sent her 6 packages the first week jammed packed with different stuff. Then a 1st Lt. asked for help with 10 men in his unit in Iraq and 7 bigger packages went out last week with all sorts of goodies.

Wow, that had to rack up some shipping charges! Any advice on who to use for shipping? I sent out 2 - 15lb packages and they were about $35.00 each at the UPS store. Shocked Shocked

I'm going to try the flat rate envelopes for $3.85 this week from the Post Office, too, but you can't get as much 'stuff' in them! Wink
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Shipping Charges Reply with quote

I send all the mail priority mail and it costs, but not as much as UPS. The most expensive item sent that way was $25.00 but it was really really heavy. They have these boxes that are very very sturdy and that costs about $12.00 to send or less depending on what you have in it. We allot a couple of thousand dollars to a charity each year. This is going to that now, so I am not thinking about the cost to mail as it is just part of the deal. The group I received my soldiers from is a non-profit and we can write off the expense on our taxes. I'll try that envelope thing for magazines and books though cause those are the most expensive thing to ship.

By the way, I'm so excited. I got my first e-mail from my initial soldier and she has started getting her packages. She shared most of the stuff with the PAD staff. She is a medic in a hospital in Balad. It was so exciting to get my first letter.
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to the website, I saw where you can also send a Get Well Card to an address and they will give them to a soldier wounded either in Iraq or Afghanistan. We pass Get Well cards around our Sunday School Class each week, so I took this address and we decided to send one around for a soldier each week as well.

If you don't have the funds to adopt a soldier, I'm sure this will be appreciated as well. Also may be a good project for youth groups, scouts, children, clubs.....

Quote:
Get Well Message From
Americans Who care

It has come to my attention that our American Wounded Soldiers need a morale boost. I want to send thousands of cards to those soldiers. I have a way to get the cards right to the nurses.

I would like to ask everyone to buy a patriotic or thank you card and write a message to our wounded American soldiers in the cards.

I will send them to the Combat Support Hospitals so the soldiers will get cards from Americans who care.

Frankie Mayo

Mail the cards to:

Operation AC
Attn: Wounded Soldier Cards
560 Peoples Plaza
Box 121
Newark, DE 19702
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roon wrote:

If you don't have the funds to adopt a soldier, I'm sure this will be appreciated as well.

Exactly. Anything truly showing support is great. A simple letter or card works wonders. They are giving so much. Least we can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: