SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AK47 BAN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timberwolf
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: AK47 BAN Reply with quote

Everybody knows why President Bush Didn't push the AK47 ban.
He was just covering his bases incase (god forbid Kerry wins) He knew all american citizens would need one to protect them selfs from the terrorists.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you said this tongue in cheek. Shocked

AK47s are still banned, along with several other fully automatic weapons.
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "AK-47" ban (Clinton's Assault Weapon Ban), did nothing to keep anyone from buying a firearm that functions just like an AK-47 sporter (a semi-automatic version of the famous Russian assault rifle) that has been available for purchase in the US for years, and remained so during the ban.

Most uninformed people think the lifting of the Assault Weapon ban now allows people to buy fully automatic AK-47 rifles, which is false.

The AK-47 ban simply caused manufacturers (mostly NORINCO) to rename their product and remove the bayonet lug or put a monte carlo style stock with a thumbhole in the pistol grip to continue selling the (functionally) same exact weapon.

So the "Assault Weapon's Ban" was just a load of hot-air and a huge waste of time and money.

reconflyer
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you got me started, the most ludicrous component of the assault weapon ban was the 10 round magazine restriction, which hit pitsol fans the hardest, not "assault weapon" fans (I have one, it is fun).

The result of the 10 round magazine restriction caused gun makers to shrink many of their designs around smaller mags, thus producing many excellent and powerful handguns that were small in size, and with a huge potential market (concealed carry holders). The net gain was smaller, more concealable and powerful handguns for both legitimate, and I would extrapolate, illegitimate use (the Glock 30 comes to mind, I have one, it is fun).

Still, the lifting of the ban was the best thing that ever happened to any legislation championed by Bill Clinton. It was the lamest, most poorly thought out, ineffective, and red-tape laden legislation rolled out in recent history (except for maybe motor-voter).

Now go buy some hi-cap mags (I guess they are not high-cap anymore, that was relative to the stupid ten round restriction)!

reconflyer
Weaponeer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be noted that not only did the assault rifle ban do nothing to stop crime (proven fact), and that most people still think it has something to do with machine guns (it does not).

The biggest problem was the so called high capacity magazine ban that caused many companies that made 30 round magazines to go out of business. why is that a problem? they were also the ones who provided quality magazines to our troops.

Do a search and you will find that magazines for the M16 and the M9 were causing a lot of problems during the last gulf war, and they no longer could get replacements. Evil or Very Mad

Companies need to sell to the public in order to survive, and without the ability to sell to the public you stop innovation. no innovation = no new weapon designs, and accessories.

We can blame the MSM for the AWB... Rolling Eyes
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great points, weaponeer (look at what arms are carrried in the third world, certainly not the good stuff).

Actually, there is a huge correlation as you have pointed out, with the AWB and Kerry's candidacy.

The MSM, with the AWB issues right on the desk in front of them, did not learn the truth about what was in the bill, and what it actually dealt with in pratical terms. They simply parroted what was put out by the Handgun Control Inc and used their own tainted belief systems rather than learn the facts.

It seems today's MSM and today's issue, the campaign, the same thing is happening. They won't look into Kerry's record, they wont substantiate or investigate anything he says, and they absolutely slay Bush any chance they get...

Any coincidence there?

Again, great point.

reconflyer
Timberwolf
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOps, I didn't mean to get something started here. I was just making a joke about Kerry and his stump talk aboout the ak47, blaming Bush for the demize of a nothing law in the first place.
Kerry and the MSM did the same thing that I did in my post by not bothering to distinguish, semi automatic or full automatic, thus making the implication to the naive that President Bush was proporting that now all citizens could go to there local Walmart and buy a fully automatic ak47. Not true. As far as I know, ALL fully automatics are illeagle to the public.
Reconflyer and Weaponeer, I agree with you 100%
Kerry and the MSN knew exactly what they were doing though.
I kept waiting for Bush to clarify it better, but I never heard it.
PrinceLazar
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timberwolf wrote:
OOps, I didn't mean to get something started here. I was just making a joke about Kerry and his stump talk aboout the ak47, blaming Bush for the demize of a nothing law in the first place.
Kerry and the MSM did the same thing that I did in my post by not bothering to distinguish, semi automatic or full automatic, thus making the implication to the naive that President Bush was proporting that now all citizens could go to there local Walmart and buy a fully automatic ak47. Not true. As far as I know, ALL fully automatics are illeagle to the public.
Reconflyer and Weaponeer, I agree with you 100%
Kerry and the MSN knew exactly what they were doing though.
I kept waiting for Bush to clarify it better, but I never heard it.

This whole AK-47 talk is ridiulous (Assault weapon ban). I say, if anyone has a tank let him/her have it. As if everything has ben so crazy last years..
Doesn't Kerry have a Chinese-47?

Need some wood?!?!
Navyolsalt
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reconflyer Reply with quote

Reconflyer:
You are absolutely correct and it is refreshing to find others that know the facts and the BS that MSM continues to put out regarding this issue. Even during the ban (excluding California) an individual could purchase AK-47's AR-15's, 30, 40, 50, round clips, and a 75 round AK-47 drum! Just because it is an AK-47/AR-15 does not mean that it is a fully auto machine gun! I do own a MAC-11 sub-machine gun (with BATF permit) two AK-47's, two AR-15's plus many others in my assault weapon gun collection! I have taken many deer with my AK-47 with 5 round clip which is an excellent weapon for deer hunting out to 125-150 yards!
Thanks for your post!
Sincerely,
Navyolsalt
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timberwolf,
No problem here, I knew what you meant.

It was just fun to have a segue to go on another rant about!

Now I've been ordered on another post to go get out the vote, so that's what I'm gonna do!

Now I see you're in California, lets get that one man wrecking machine Timberwolf on the job and get that state into play! Laughing

recon, out!
John Gault
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to why the ban was not extended, no one in congress wanted to touch it with a 10ft pole. Passage of the ban was an important issue (and a club the NRA used to beat up the Dems) in the following election and the loss of several key Democrat seats resulted in the Republicans taking over the House.

They were not going to get burnt again. As Bush said, there was just no intrest from congess in renewing the Ban.
The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles. _ Ayn Rand
PrinceLazar
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Gault wrote:
As to why the ban was not extended, no one in congress wanted to touch it with a 10ft pole. Passage of the ban was an important issue (and a club the NRA used to beat up the Dems) in the following election and the loss of several key Democrat seats resulted in the Republicans taking over the House.

They were not going to get burnt again. As Bush said, there was just no intrest from congess in renewing the Ban.

HAHA, I Love the way Bush handled this one...

Need some wood?!?!
Timberwolf
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry I and my wife already voted for Bush-Cheny by absentee ballot on 10-12-04.
I have (Hanoi Kerry) and (flush the Johns) stickers in the back window of my pickup. I get alot of honks and thumbs up from people in Bakersfield area. Have been stopped at traffic lights and asked by person parked next to me where I got the stickers at.
For those that don't know, Bakersfield, Ca. is an Oilfield town of about 350,000, the last time I looked, plus about 8 or 9 smaller towns in the emmediate area.
Bush said he lived here once a long time ago. He made a point of stopping here when he was in California last month.
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Ban? what ban? Reply with quote

Everything's cool as long as they don't know about the .50 cal. I've got stored in my basement Twisted Evil Embarassed just joking

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine, and it's perfectly legal and a non-full auto. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: