SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Bottles of Cabernet - James Carville and Paula Zahn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: 2 Bottles of Cabernet - James Carville and Paula Zahn Reply with quote

I was so nervous watching the election returns last night that I drank 2 bottle of red wine without realizing it. Although my recollection is a little vague this morning, I seem to recall something interesting happening CNN. CNN had not yet called Florida but suddenly called Ohio for President Bush.

At that point James Carville called the election for President Bush. Paula Zahn was stunned and asked if he meant to call the election. Carville said, "yes" and immediately dropped the partisan rancor and sarcasm he is known for. It was almost statesmanlike.

Whether this means he was helping set the stage for Hillary, I don't know. As far as I can tell, he was the first to formally call the election. When he got home my guess is that Mary Matlin gave him an especially warm reception.

Nalt
mcg1969
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not surprised that Carville acted this way once it was clear. Carville is no doubt one of the harshest partisans around; but he is also very smart, so he knows when it's all over.

Remember, once the polls are closed, spin is useless---the facts have been established and it's just a matter of waiting for the count.

Now to be sure, people in the campaign have to be positive up until the bitter end---but Carville was on the outside so he did not have to.
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.

Nalt
nschlange
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was even more shocking was that there were Zahn, Carvile, the other dem. and two republicans and they all said how shocked they were that bush had won, all except (i can't think of his name, republican older man), even the other republican was shocked and when you turned to msnbc Mathews and Ron Jr., looked devestated and totatlly confused. They don't have a clue how out of touch they really are!
Redview
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: carville Reply with quote

I noticed it too.

He dropped the act right away.
Got almost polite.

He had to make it clear to her, yes, its over now.

And sort of made the point that the Democrates need

to reasess the situation, or people, or some such.

It was a shocking transformation I must say.

He actually seemed sane.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carville saw the writting on the wall and made the statement that Kerry would need to draw an inside straight at the point the margin in Ohio pushed up to 130,000 votes with 80% in. Then I knew it was really over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: