SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Surprise Gen Merill A. McPeak Support Kerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOFMan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: No Surprise Gen Merill A. McPeak Support Kerry Reply with quote

Gen McPeak was widely known in the Air Force as puppet for Al Gore's "reinventing Government", by forcing Total Quality Management (TQM) on the Air Force--something not meant to be. We called this program TQM..."To Quote McPeak", and luckily it died. McPeak had the idea of "one base, one boss", that quickly proved a failure. "Skeletor's" (as he was known) rise to power was a fighter pilot--in fact, he over g'd a Thunderbird aircraft while on the aero demo team, pulling the wings off. He only became AF Chief of Staff after President Bush fired Michael Dugen in 1991. In short, wile clearly McPeak is well acheived and intelligent, he wasn't well liked as he was always viewed by so many an opportunist. Aligning himself with Kerry continues that tradition...maybe getting a nice SECDEF or SECAF job. God help us all if Kerry gets elected and appoint Skeletor to any post.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to expect some will support Kerry. However, they are still in the minority.
Frank B
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: One World McPeak Reply with quote

Gen. McPeak was a politician's general, a total ass-kisser. His plan to replace the AF dress blues with a design patterned after the Navy dress whites didn't go over with any of the troops (hey, we liked our "bus driver" image). Thank goodness it reverted back to the traditional uniform when he went out to pasture.

Sometimes, even pilots evolve into s**theads.....
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McPeak was an idiot then and an adiot now. Some people never do have a lick of common sense.
Mustang0302
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gen McPeak endorses Senator Kerry Reply with quote

Saw a clip of that commercial today. Shot pans over a photo of the Joint Chiefs...anybody tell Al Gray (Commandant of the Marine Corps, '87-'91, and widely admired by his Marines) he's in a political commerical supporting Senator Kerry's campaign?

I do not not like the idea of retired Flag rank officers (ANY officers) endorsing presidential candidates in a public manner. I'm sure he's not the first, but I don't recall any making commercials like this in the past.
NAV307
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And ... please do not forget the Kerry camp's protestations that the Swiftvets cannot comment on him because "they weren't on his boat" ... but they are using an Air Force General Officer as a spokesman ...who has had now contact with Kerry in the military or his time in the Senate. And ... Colin Powell is also in the background picture in the ad. I wish those pictured would sound some disapproval.

NAV307
Paul
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: General Gray Reply with quote

"Al Gray Commandant of the Marine Corps, '87-'91"

A very fine General.

I still remember a clip of General Gray on the evening news when he and Secretary of the Navy James Webb were visiting Paris Island, I believe it was. He addressed a question to a young recruit who answered him, "Sir, yes Sir."

The General didn't hesitate for a moment, he turned to the Marine officers accompanying him and asked, "Who taught him to say that?"

My (now late) father and I happened to be watching together and perked up immediately. He had been a soldier in the army and myself a sailor in the navy, however, we fully agreed before any more was even said. My old man chimed in, "darn right. Somebody taught him that. Good for the General. That's nonsense."
And it was.

The General repeated his question and clarified exactly what he was inquring about.

The first day us recruits were formed into a company in boot camp and I still remember that the Company Commander included in his first "speech" to us: 'I Do Not want to hear Anyone say, 'Sir, Yes Sir.' This is RTC Orlando, it Is Not the Naval Academy Annapolis. When you answer in the affirmative, you Will answer 'Aye Aye Sir,' or 'Yes Sir.' When you answer in the negative, you Will answer, 'No Sir.' "

Not to bash him, but personally, I suspect that may have been an influence by Secretary of the Navy John Lehman who James Webb succeeded and accomplished quite a bit while he was. But we all have our quirks and I've read a few articles by Lehman and have noted that he seems to like, "Sir, yes Sir."

It hits me like fingernails down the chalkboard. I believe for an enlisted sailor, soldier, airman or Marine, that it's garbage. Leave it to the junior high school ROTCs if they want it and out of our Armed Forces.

This is one small detail, and some might think trivial in view of all that General Gray accomplished, but attention to detail is what we all used to be taught was most important.

You're right. A very fine General! A field Rifleman Marine first and last. A man who demonstrated service “in the highest traditions of the naval service.”

I've already stated elsewhere that from what I'm seeing, Generals Franks and McPeak are certainly no Admiral Tom Moorer. They're certainly no General Al Gray either. In my opinion, from what I've seen, then character wise, they're not even in the same league. And in fairness, it's not just a problem of the General Officers and officer corps in the new post-93 army and air force today, but bad among the new Flag Officers and officer corps in the naval service as well. And the new emphasis on political correctness and lowered training standards is a whole lot worse than only teaching recruits to say something as lame as, "Sir, yes Sir."

Unfortunately, I don't believe that General McPeak is only a "freak" case at this point in time.
A.R. Peterson, MSGT RET
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McPeak did as much damage to the USAF as the previous administration did to the entire DOD. His voice does not carry any more weight now then it did then. His legacy is a uniform change and lack of leadership.
RiggerPJS
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only did McPeak piss off the troops with his idiot change of uniform, but he was also instrumental in a mass exodus of people who were REALLY tired of increased Ops Tempo with less people to do the job.

I had zero respect for the man, still do, and consider him a major factor in my decision to retire. His endorsing Kerry is no surprise.
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A close frend of mine, a USAF colonel retd. (He's not yet registerd here, and I won't give his name, just try to encourage him to logon) suggested that McPeak hopes to become Secretary of Defense in a Kerry administration. Rolling Eyes
He was a sod before, and now he wants to be a SOD.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Fabius Cunctator
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: General Gray Reply with quote

Paul wrote:

A very fine General.

I still remember a clip of General Gray on the evening news when he and Secretary of the Navy James Webb were visiting Paris Island, I believe it was. He addressed a question to a young recruit who answered him, "Sir, yes Sir."

The General didn't hesitate for a moment, he turned to the Marine officers accompanying him and asked, "Who taught him to say that?"

My (now late) father and I happened to be watching together and perked up immediately. He had been a soldier in the army and myself a sailor in the navy, however, we fully agreed before any more was even said. My old man chimed in, "darn right. Somebody taught him that. Good for the General. That's nonsense."
And it was.

The General repeated his question and clarified exactly what he was inquring about.

The first day us recruits were formed into a company in boot camp and I still remember that the Company Commander included in his first "speech" to us: 'I Do Not want to hear Anyone say, 'Sir, Yes Sir.' This is RTC Orlando, it Is Not the Naval Academy Annapolis. When you answer in the affirmative, you Will answer 'Aye Aye Sir,' or 'Yes Sir.' When you answer in the negative, you Will answer, 'No Sir.' "

Not to bash him, but personally, I suspect that may have been an influence by Secretary of the Navy John Lehman who James Webb succeeded and accomplished quite a bit while he was. But we all have our quirks and I've read a few articles by Lehman and have noted that he seems to like, "Sir, yes Sir."

It hits me like fingernails down the chalkboard. I believe for an enlisted sailor, soldier, airman or Marine, that it's garbage. Leave it to the junior high school ROTCs if they want it and out of our Armed Forces.

This is one small detail, and some might think trivial in view of all that General Gray accomplished, but attention to detail is what we all used to be taught was most important.

You're right. A very fine General! A field Rifleman Marine first and last. A man who demonstrated service “in the highest traditions of the naval service.”

I've already stated elsewhere that from what I'm seeing, Generals Franks and McPeak are certainly no Admiral Tom Moorer. They're certainly no General Al Gray either. In my opinion, from what I've seen, then character wise, they're not even in the same league. And in fairness, it's not just a problem of the General Officers and officer corps in the new post-93 army and air force today, but bad among the new Flag Officers and officer corps in the naval service as well. And the new emphasis on political correctness and lowered training standards is a whole lot worse than only teaching recruits to say something as lame as, "Sir, yes Sir."

Unfortunately, I don't believe that General McPeak is only a "freak" case at this point in time.

Paul,

Unfortunately you are correct. I am a reservist, currently serving on the Joint Staff, and for the most part, Col. "Hack's" characterization of many flag officers as "perfumed Pentagon princes" is right on the mark. It was considerably more pronounced under Clinton, but still exists. I worry about it getting worse, if, God forbid, Kerry should be elected.

There are today a considerable number of officers willing to sell out for that extra star and Legion of Merit. They have forgotten about their oath and about the troops who make their accomplishments possible.

Sad, sad, sad. Too many primadonnas. I detested McPeak then, and I loathe him now. Definitely not in the same league as Gen. Al Gray.

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum; qui victoriam cupit, milites inbuat diligenter; qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non casu. Nemo provocare, nemo audet offendere quem intellegit superiorem esse, si pugnet." - F. Vegetii Renati Epitoma Rei Militaris, AD 380
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: General Gray Reply with quote

Fabius Cunctator wrote:
Paul wrote:

A very fine General.

Paul,

Unfortunately you are correct. I am a reservist, currently serving on the Joint Staff, and for the most part, Col. "Hack's" characterization of many flag officers as "perfumed Pentagon princes" is right on the mark. It was considerably more pronounced under Clinton, but still exists. I worry about it getting worse, if, God forbid, Kerry should be elected.

There are today a considerable number of officers willing to sell out for that extra star and Legion of Merit. They have forgotten about their oath and about the troops who make their accomplishments possible.

Sad, sad, sad. Too many primadonnas. I detested McPeak then, and I loathe him now. Definitely not in the same league as Gen. Al Gray.

I saw and heard General Al Gray speak at Fleet Week ceremonies in San Francisco a year or two ago, he did not need a microphone, General Gray's reputation preceded his arrival, and he did not disappoint.

Hackworth sprung his "perfumed princes" phrase to his e-mail list back in the Clinton days and also mentioned it on Hannity & Colmes, a venue where he also called Bill Clinton a "sleaze ball". Hannity and I gleefully agreed with Hackworth by e-mail, Colmes squirmed.

General McPeak is part of the "Democratic Party General Staff: The Usual Suspects" as are General John Shalikashvili and Admiral William Crowe, two men that make the hair stand up at the back of my head.

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm
jrwhite85
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget Wesley Clark - a man who wore lifts in his shoes and shoulder pads in his dress greens.

But he is a very short dude.

His exchange with General Sir Michael Jackson is now legend in NATO. When Jackson told him: "F**k you SACEUR, I'm not starting World War III for you!" I think the Brit was drunk. Clark was a scary scary dude as well. Completely willing to do whatever it took - to make him loko good, that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: