SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"VIETNAM VETS, BACK IN THE CLOSET"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary L. Smith, USN, Ret.
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: "VIETNAM VETS, BACK IN THE CLOSET" Reply with quote

So after the first time in 30 years, we have came ot of the shadows of public shame and have brought to light the stolen honor that those like Kerry took away from us. We & our families, children & grandchildren deserve the truth to be known so all can be proud of the sacrafice made by the Vietnam Vets. We need to re-write our history books that are based on false statements such as those put out by Kerry and his self-serving supporters during that time. We need to right the wrongs & set the record straight so that the awards, ribbons & medals that were give to the Vietnam Vets mean something and can be proudly displayed. We need to be able to say "I am a Vietnam Vet" and display ourselves in Veterans parades & public activities without carrying on our back people like Kerry.
We have together, through our support of the great Swift Vets and POWs for Truth brought to light the truth about Kerry and contributed to his loosing the the race for President. Kerry, the media and his followers will continue to distort the truth and tag us as spoilers, a republican 527 group, and what ever they want to call us. Is this what we want? Is it true? Everything will be lost if you the "Swiftboat Vets and POWs for Truth just put us "BACK IN THE CLOSET".

John Paul Jones: "I HAVE JUST BEGUN TO FIGHT"
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't go back into the closet if we don't want to. It's not up to SBVFT to do anything. Let's be grateful for the swift kick in our collective asses. Now it's up to us individually to continue in any legal manner we individually see fit to right the wrongs committed against the VN vets.

Let's keep a perspective...we only had our honor stolen...our allies the Vietnamese had their freedom stolen by the misdeeds of kerry and the MSM.
Gary L. Smith, USN, Ret.
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what would you propose to do?
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, or some other vets, website should stay active.

Both as a way for us to come together and share our feelings, gripes, opinions, et al.

Secondly, so that we can focus our efforts on continuing to "out" those who were communist sympathizers, and whose efforts were a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice or downright criminal.

Third, to help the MIA/POW issue come to some sort of conclusion. No man left behind guys.

This is a viable, cross-generational, cross-political party web site. We can't come across as being pro-Republican or pro-Democratic, but pro-justice.

The public may be tired of talking about Vietnam (like they were in the early 70's) but they need to understand it's finally a conflict that has come out of the closet and many, many veterans from that era are dusting off their memories and remembering that their service to or country WAS indeed honorable and worthwhile.

Were their attrocities? Sure, just like in any conflict from Revolutionary times to today. But the vast, vast majority of those "admitted" war criminals are someone who was a cook in San Francisco or a non-veteran.

When someone claims they were privy to or participated in a war crime, call them on it. Just like the groups who expose non-Seals and those who claim to have won Medals of Honor. Make them give you names, dates, locations, and post it here for possible verification or exposure to the truth.

Last edited by USMCWayne on Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "VIETNAM VETS, BACK IN THE CLOSET" Reply with quote

Gary L. Smith, USN, Ret. wrote:
So after the first time in 30 years, we have came ot of the shadows of public shame and have brought to light the stolen honor that those like Kerry took away from us ... Everything will be lost if you the "Swiftboat Vets and POWs for Truth just put us "BACK IN THE CLOSET".

Instigator that I am:

Might be time to consider taking a cue from the Left.

How about the idea of a "Vietnam Veterans Pride Restoration March" on the Mall in Washington, D.C.?

-- FDL
ATACKM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is coming from a veteran although I'm not a Vietnam vet ! I would suggest that you live your life, be proud of yourself and your brothers from Nam. Learn to play the Bugle and Join Bugles Across America. Adopt a soldier serving in Iraq. Visit the Wall, Visit the local V.A. Hospital, encourage others to respect Memorial Day, understand that it's not just a reason to get drunk and play on the boat. Buy a buddy poppy, wear a POW/MIA bracelet. Donate a quilt to the VA, Buy a flag for a neighbor. Go to the funeral of a veteran, Honor the vets that are gone with a folded and displayed flag, honor them by having one flown at the state or federal capital on there birthday, or on a significant day. Don't just watch the parade, Get into the parade. Call everyone you know that ever served and wish them a happy veterans day, memorial day, fourth of July. Write to the president, write to your congress, write to your senators, tell them you are a proud veteran and that you vote. Be Proud of yourself and get the hell out of that closet. You don't need Kerry, or Swiftvets, or anyone else to validate who you are.
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATACKM wrote:

This is coming from a veteran although I'm not a Vietnam vet ! I would suggest that you live your life, be proud of yourself and your brothers from Nam. Learn to play the Bugle and Join Bugles Across America. Adopt a soldier serving in Iraq. Visit the Wall, Visit the local V.A. Hospital, encourage others to respect Memorial Day, understand that it's not just a reason to get drunk and play on the boat. Buy a buddy poppy, wear a POW/MIA bracelet. Donate a quilt to the VA, Buy a flag for a neighbor. Go to the funeral of a veteran, Honor the vets that are gone with a folded and displayed flag, honor them by having one flown at the state or federal capital on there birthday, or on a significant day. Don't just watch the parade, Get into the parade. Call everyone you know that ever served and wish them a happy veterans day, memorial day, fourth of July. Write to the president, write to your congress, write to your senators, tell them you are a proud veteran and that you vote. Be Proud of yourself and get the hell out of that closet. You don't need Kerry, or Swiftvets, or anyone else to validate who you are.

That is one hell of a plan of action for all Americans. Thank you.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
USAF66-70
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the closet? Far as I can tell, SBVT/SVPT, nor any of the vets, were ever in the closet. And, as Admiral Hoffmann states:
Quote:
We are pleased with the fact that we were able to effectively bring attention to our issues and raise questions regarding Senator Kerry’s character, leadership ability and qualifications as a potential Commander in Chief. As we have stated since we formed, we believed that John Kerry’s actions in Vietnam, coupled with the reprehensible statements he made after he returned were serious and consequently made him unfit for command.

And since they/we never were in the closet, well, you know. BTW, heard Arafat is dead. It’s been a good week.
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "VIETNAM VETS, BACK IN THE CLOSET" Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
How about the idea of a "Vietnam Veterans Pride Restoration March" on the Mall in Washington, D.C.?

-- FDL

That's a GREAT idea! And in response to another poster about what to do..... BECOME TEACHERS! MENTORS! SHINE IN YOUR COMMUNITY! HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH FOR YOU ARE AMERICA'S FINEST YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN!

I've never been a soldier, but my father fought for the USMC in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. My childhood was spent living on base. I have always looked up to you soldiers to be the leaders and the shining beacons in my life. My love and respect for you is based on personal observations of soldiers and their dedication to doing the right thing regardless to the sacrifice. Whatever it is you decide to "do" about the current situation, I ask that you consider something where the public is exposed to the roots of the code of honor that has driven so many of you.

MarineBrat
PowerPro
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a civvie (you know there's a lot of us non-military folk out here in the heartland), here's my perspective.

Many people felt that the reason for the Swift Vets existence was to ensure that John Kerry never darkened the door of the Oval Office. Maybe it wasn't intentionally meant to be this way - but things have changed. Truths need to be revealed and the history books need to be revised (thanks to what "news" and "history books" reported, I had grown up believing that our men in Vietnam were a bunch of baby killing lunes. This needs to stop or the veterans will NEVER be given their due for their honorable service). Denying John Kerry the White House was just the first step.

It seems to me that the TRUE mission of Swift Vets should now be:

1. Make John Kerry responsible for his treacherous activities.

2. Vindicate those who suffered because of the political aspirations of a communist-appeasing opportunist.

As I have stated in a previous post, there can be NO PARADE until John Kerry is publicly humiliated, forcibly removed from the Senate and sentenced by a Judge.

So I respectfully submit that this website and mission needs to continue because the true mission of this courageous team has not been completed.

Thank you SBVs & POWs FT! Your service to this country is incalculable!!!
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Vietnam vet, but my father was ( I was in the AF). He was also a vet of Korea. For the sake of his good name I will continue to fight! I lost my father from a brain disease( that his doc said may be due the agt. orange) in '93. There is a good number of us will will keep up the fight to bring the truth to light. Keep the faith.

Stolen Honor
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everything will be lost if you the "Swiftboat Vets and POWs for Truth just put us "BACK IN THE CLOSET".

Speaking for myself and myself only, the above attitude sucks!

Why put everything on the Swift vets and the POWs? No one can put you in any closet except for yourselves.

The Swiftees went well above and beyond the call of duty and have every right to get on with their lives or keep organized, as they see fit. None of us helped organize them nor did any of us place our butts out in the public eye and take the garbage they did. We sat back behind our computers, anonymous, I might add, and supported them and researched.

You want to stay out of the closet? Organize, form your own group, go public and keep the ball rolling. Just don't insinuate that those who perfromed magnificantly and paid a high price need to do more, while we sit back safe.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can put us "back in the closet", unless we let them. Wear your baseball hat that says "Vietnam Veteran"; wear your lapel pin for one or more of your medals; wear a jacket with your service insignia on it; fly your American flag. Be proud of being a Viet Vet, a Viet era vet, a vet, or active duty. It was and is an honorable calling. We made our voices heard, and I think we had a substantial effect on the election. Stand tall, be proud, be seen! Very Happy
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I NEVER did go into the closet. Even though I paid a price for it.
But now I'd like to learn where that closet is located so I can roughly shove hte sruviving Ameri-cong protesters into it it for the next 30 years.

To the above posts, I only want to add - speak up and talk back.
Start attacking and questioning the record of the peeceweenies.
Defend the honor of your brothers and yourself when it is slandered.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorecard:

We have achieved the objective of the SwiftVets forum (http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2):

Quote:
This forum is provided as a means of facilitating the discussion of our strongly-held conviction that John Kerry is unfit to serve as our Commander-In-Chief.

John Kerry, however, has not responded in any way to the five demands in the on-line SwiftVet/Pow Petition (http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11309):

Quote:
Acknowledge to the American public that you did not personally witness any such atrocities or, in the alternative, cite such examples and then provide an explanation of what actions you took relative to these alleged war crimes.

Explain to the American public the nature and extent of war crimes in which you participated.

Explain to the American public your justification for contacting and working in conjunction with a foreign government then at war with the United States.

Provide an acknowledgment and apology to the American veterans for your all encompassing accusations, and more specifically to our POWs for any extensions of their internment caused by your actions.

Personally respond factually to the challenges made against your service in Vietnam by some 275 men who served with you.

Since John Kerry was elected Commander-in-Chief, maybe some people will consider those demands Overtaken By Events (OBE).

John Kerry is now "merely" a Senator from Massachesetts until 2008, and beyond if the people of Massachessetts re-elect him.

HOWEVER, in the current 108th Congress, John Kerry serves on four Senate Committees:
- Commerce, Science and Transportation (Ranking Member of Oceans, Fisheries, and the Environment Sub-Committee)
- Finance
- Foreign Relations (Ranking Member of East Asian and Pacific Affairs Sub-Committee)
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship (Ranking Member)

It is his membership on the Foreign Relations Committee that should most concern us for now. As the Ranking Member of the East Asian and Pacific Affairs Sub-Committee, he is responsible for preventing the Vietnam Human Rights Act, not once, but twice (see http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12324) from being brought to the Senate floor for vote, after it had been passed in the House. In doing this he was not acting "merely" as a representative from Massachesetts, but as sole, single-person representative for the entire United States. From this one example alone, it can be seen that John Kerry is not merely a problem of the State of Massachesetts, but is, in fact, a key person in national affairs.

Of course, the current Senate Committee assignments will be revised in the next Congress, and we do not know where John Kerry will be allowed to act for all of us as he did in the example above. Nor do we know whether he will be re-elected in 2008, but if he does, he continues to gain seniority and to improve his chances of serving on other and more key committees.

So I guess, in summary, the key question for the Swiftees is: having been thwarted (probably for all time) from becoming the Commander-in-Chief, does he still, and potentially, represent enough of a threat to national security and veteran interests to continue the struggle to expose him for the man that the American public do not know? If the answer to that is "No," then it is time to fold the tent and seek other venues to vindicate our outrage over voter fraud, the bias of the press, etc. But if the answer is "Yes," then I strongly suggest that the leaders, moderators, administrators of this site take some action very soon to keep the gang together, and to prevent the old "fire in the belly" from going out.

My final thoughts until a decision is reached...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: