SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wear your medals
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Wear your medals Reply with quote

Next Tuesday when I go to vote, I will dress appropriately. I will wear my dark suit, and I will wear my medals, not the lapel pin, not the ribbons but the gongs themselves.
Okay, so I don't have many, an arcom gcm & campaigns - but they're mine, they're honest, and I didn't write up my own papers.

I think it would be most impresive if each of us were to wear his medals to the polling place. It will catch te attention of other people, and also of the assored reporters and exit-pollers on scene. And if anybody asks, you can give a plug for the Swiftees.

And if any of the DNC goons try to harass you or suppress your vote - think of the visuals that would ensue - a bunch of hulking goons trying vainly to intimidate a brave little old man wearing his medals.

We just might give someone second thoughts while they're standing in line.
And it will certainly be a bit of "street theater" good for the coming post-election campaigns.

This election is about American security - both 1971 and 2004. Wear your medals!

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
stcromwell99
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if wearing them is allowed and it appears they are:

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,31770--,00.html
OKLady
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... is it possible to get yard signs of your medals? can you imagine a display of medals along with a sign of Vet for Bush?
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been 33 years. I can only locate one of them. I know their in the house somewhere; I just don't know where. I do plan to wear my "I support Swiftvets" hat though. And I'm stickin' my CTF115 unit medallion on the side of it to boot.
Islander
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about this. I'll wear my 1st Cavalry cap with the CIB, Air Medal, Bronze Star, Gallantry Cross, etc. Let them know we're still around.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic I am so proud of you all getting your well deserved medals out from hiding and wearing them proudly. And if anyone shows you any disrespect for wearing your medals simply get their name and perhaps we will publish them on a public wall of shame until they come forward with a sincere public apology.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys ought to do this for the whole next week. Everywhere you go, it wouldn't bother this admirer of those who have served.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SangRun Hunter wrote:
I think you guys ought to do this for the whole next week. Everywhere you go, it wouldn't bother this admirer of those who have served.

I realize that John Kerry is not bothered by such things, but I would be self-conscious about wearing my medals in public. I know it is permissible to wear them on my civvies, but I am uncomfortable about showing off.

Oddly, earlier this year I did the research and collected all the medals due to me. Like most guys they sit in a box and I don't show them to people.

Sam
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Geedunk

Thanks
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle The Hun wrote:
SangRun Hunter wrote:

I realize that John Kerry is not bothered by such things, but I would be self-conscious about wearing my medals in public. I know it is permissible to wear them on my civvies, but I am uncomfortable about showing off.

Oddly, earlier this year I did the research and collected all the medals due to me. Like most guys they sit in a box and I don't show them to people.

Sam

Wear your medals in memory of the 58,000 names on the wall. Wear them on behalf of the MIA's who have not come home yet. Wear them is support of this generation of troops. If I had earned medals in the cold war I would certainly bring them out for such a time as this.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP. Wanted to get this back up top. This seems like an excellent idea. I found my full-sized gongs, but also found the minatures on a rack that went with the mess dress uniform. I think the minis look better, so will wear them on my suit to vote. (Minis are okay to use as far as I can determine.) Let's dazzle the he77 out of the kool-ade drinkers on Election Day! Very Happy
ILUVTHEUSA
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, would LOVE to see all you veterans out there with medals on come Election Day!!! I will thank each and every one I see for their service to protect me, my family, my country. THANK YOU--this is NOT showing off--this is to remind each and every one of us that our freedom is not free and we need to bring this out now more than ever.

ColdWarVet was right--wear them in memory of those who can't.

With much appreciation,
ILuvTheUsa
HOV1
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP Hey Admin. This deserves a sticky. It is one heck of an idea... we may even be able to remind voters of the REAL issue of this election and (quietly) aid them in making the right decision in the booth.

HOV1
Samileino
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've inspired me to try and create my own message. I am not crafty at all, but I'm trying to think of a way to have a sweatshirt or something with a yellow ribbon on it as well as some words. Just something that I know when I walk in there means something to me.
I hope any vet that comes acrossed me isn't embarassed because I intend on thanking them if I am priviledged enough to be in line with them....just as I hold my thumbs up to convoys of the NG on the road or those with vet/POW plates or thanks to those I see in uniform both military, fire and police. These are my heroes and I love seeing my son do the same thing at only 9.

Sami
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What a great idea! Any vet with a ribbon, medal, etc. should take them out and wear them. When people ask about them, tell your story as a real hero would -- with modesty, etc.

The more people see them, the better.

Wear 'em with pride and answer questions about your service or just nod and let us thank you for your service.

Cazador

Last edited by Cazador on Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: