SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salute! - Home Depot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Salute! - Home Depot Reply with quote

Quote:
Home Depot named top firm for hiring vets
Renee DeGross - Staff
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Thursday, November 11, 2004

G.I. Jobs magazine is saluting Home Depot and three other Atlanta-based companies for their military-friendly policies.

Home Depot ranked as the nation's most military-friendly employer, followed by Sprint and General Electric, in G.I. Jobs' December issue, which is on newsstands in time for Veterans Day.

Three other local giants ranked in the top 20: Georgia-Pacific at No. 11, Coca-Cola Enterprises at No. 14 and BellSouth at No. 19.

"Home Depot distanced itself from the competition this year," said Chris Hale, general manager of the Pittsburgh-based magazine. "They have gone crazy with military recruiting. They even have a program that assists military spouses with Home Depot employment."

Home Depot hired nearly 10,000 veterans in 2003 and should exceed that figure this year, according to the magazine. The chain has two full-time recruiters dedicated to hiring military veterans.

A Home Depot spokesman called the ranking "an honor."

G.I. Jobs bases its rankings on policies for reservists called to duty, as well as recruiting and hiring efforts and community involvement.

FRIENDS OF THE MILITARY
Four local companies, shown in bold, made G.I. Jobs magazine's list of the 25 most military-friendly employers.
1. Home Depot
2. Sprint
3. General Electric
4. Brink's
5. Johnson Controls
6. Union Pacific
7. Lockheed Martin
8. American Electric Power
9. USAA
10. Electronic Data Systems
11. Georgia-Pacific
14. Coca-Cola Enterprises
19. BellSouth

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
note: requires free registration

Hattips: Instapundit ; Intel Dump
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Great Americans Reply with quote

During WWII my Uncle and most of the men in our small town in Maine left their jobs at the local paper mill and went to war without hesitation.

Leaving behind mothers, wives, daughters and WWI Vets who took their place and became papermakers, one of the most dangerous jobs at the time. They worked 12-hour shifts, six days a week to support the wartime need for paper and I was told they didn’t worry about their hair or nail polish very much. There was no perfume that could cover the smell of sulfur in the air, so they didn’t bother.

Each one carried a small American Flag in their pocket and they would embroider the names of campaigns their husbands or loved ones were taking part in on the Flag. Some of these Flags ended up being one of the few mementos of a lost loved one. My Grandmother told me that she could not remember any of these brave women quitting after their losses and continued on for the war effort.

When the men did come home from war their jobs were waiting for them, with healthy raises, bonuses, land grants and seniority intact, because the Paper Company took care of their own.

The women went back to being housewives, mothers and grandmothers with more than a few memories and stories to tell all of us about later in life.

It is refreshing that the same Spirit is still in Corporate America. Thank you Home Depot and all your fellow supporters of Veterans.

Independent that leans right of center.
MajHavoc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom was a Yeoman in the Navy and my Dad a Machinists Mate 1st class, in the Navy also, during WWII. Unfortunately none of that was waiting when they got home.

Personally I think it's awesome what the Paper Mill did!

/0

-Maj

Grunt Marine - Vietnam 1969-70
Honorable Discharge 1975
"Death Before Dishonor"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: