SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Data on how many stations cancelled ad?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Data on how many stations cancelled ad? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any data on the stations that cancelled showing the SwiftVets ad after the threats by the DNC/Kerry campaign lawyers?

FDL
captjenk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to the site. I am not sure whether what you did is going to do more harm than good. You have Sen. McCain (a respected republican) speaking out. I think in the long run this may backk fire.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. Politically speaking, McCain's position helps the GOP deflect the Dems smear attacks while the ad continues to get the message out to the voters. It won't stop them, they're the masters of political limbo (how low can you go?) but it makes it hard for them to score a hit. Plus, the more they whine the more attention the ad gets.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that McCain never foresaw the possibility of a moveon.org coming out of the campaign reform law he co-sponsored.

If he's going to denounce the Swifts for their ad, then he needs to be denouncing the other 527 ads on both sides.

I appreciated the Swift's response to McCain's condemnation: (emphasis mine)

Quote:
Swift Boat Veterans For Truth Responds To Senator McCain
Thu Aug 05 2004 17:10:20 ET

"Swift Boat Veterans for Truth has more than 250 members, many of whom were wounded or highly decorated in Vietnam.

We purchased with our blood and service the right to be heard, to set the record straight about our unit, and to tell the truth about John Kerry's military service record.

We respect Senator McCain's right to express his opinion and we hope he extends to us the same respect and courtesy, particularly since we served with John Kerry, we knew him well and Senator McCain did not."

Rear Admiral Roy Hoffmann (ret.), Founder and Chairman of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Acksiom
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captjenk wrote:
I think in the long run this may backk fire.

How, please?
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on the radio yesterday that McCain was campaigning with Bush and Bush made that point.
jack white
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the original question in this thread answered. How many, if any, broadcast stations have refused to run the commercial due to the threat of litigation?
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captjenk wrote:
I am new to the site. I am not sure whether what you did is going to do more harm than good. You have Sen. McCain (a respected republican) speaking out. I think in the long run this may backk fire.

I don't think so. And, I think the dead-in-the-water Boston Globe article, and Rush Limbaugh's exposure to 20 million listeners that the author of that article is also writing the Kerry campaign story for $$, has reinforced SwiftVets' credibility.

Now, can someone please let me know if there's data on stations who cancelled running the SwiftVets ad under the threats by the DNC/Kerry campaign lawyers?

FDL
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the first story the media goes with becomes the "truth"...so, these SBVs will be written off as angry vets, not truth tellers. The Kerry campaign knows the only traction is if the ad keeps running...so they're trying to derail it before it picks up steam. If the SBVs can raise enough money to keep it running, the media won't be able to ignore it. The vets themselves are very credible. Kerry's people don't want them seen on tv outside the ad.

Make no mistake, this is terrible for the Kerry campaign. That's why they're working so hard to derail it. As for McCain, this plays nicely to his "integrity quotient" which he loves, moving back and forth across the aisle but mainly, he's furious that everyone is flagrantly ignoring McCain-Feingold. He DID speak out loudly and angrily against the Kerry 527s.
SharpTalons
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Savage had Kerry's boat-gunner Steve Gardner on with him for about a half-hour today. They went through a detailed recount of what he saw as the gunner of Kerry's vessel. It was thoroughly comprehensive. From Kerry's indecisiveness as boat commander to his embellishment of battle reports, Gardner credibly detailed what he witnessed.
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing, if you hear these guys interviewed, close questioned, they are devastating. Very credible.
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this at http://humaneventsonline.com.edgesuite.net/unfit_tv.html:

Only One TV Station Caves to Pro-Kerry Pressure

August 6, 2004 -- Despite enormous pressure from Democratic and pro-Kerry sources (including DNC and Kerry lawyers), only one TV station has caved in, deciding not to run the blistering anti-Kerry ad produced by the Swift Vote Veterans for Truth. The now well-known ad counters Sen. Kerry's Vietnam "War Hero" status.

The sole station to refuse the advertisement from the “527” group is WBAY, ABC Channel 2, in Green Bay, Wisconsin, a key battle state.

In an interview with HUMAN EVENTS, WBAY President and General Manager Don Carmichael confirmed that the station will not be running the ad "on advice of counsel."

Pressed on the substance of their lawyers' advice, Mr. Carmichael stated that after reviewing the affidavits of the veterans, seeing the commercial, and hearing the pro-Kerry "counter-claims," his station decided to refuse the ad.

Mr. Carmichael declined to elaborate on the "counter-claims," including whether the threatening letter from DNC and Kerry lawyers or today’s Boston Globe article were among those claims. Carmichael also stated that the station does not plan to review its decision.

To air your views on WBAY’s decision to ban the ad, call them at 920-432-3331 or email them at wbay@wbay.com.

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lawyer must be in the Kerry camp...or an idiot. There is nothing libelous about the ad...otherwise NO negative campaign ads could ever be run. This book is going to be a runaway bestseller. A chapter was released today, "The Purple Heart Hunter"...Holy Cow, I read it online. There were several witnesses in the room to the incident Kerry was kicked out of the room, told to get lost for asking for papers to be put in for the first purple heart he later received. They thought that was the end of it. Didn't know he actually received a medal for the "tweezer wound" until the Democratic primary this year. They were shocked. They are demanding to see the paper work on these awards. Kerry told Tim Russert he'd release it then never did. He released the certificates, but not the applications. These guys want to know who signed the papers. Kerry keeps saying he's happy to release the papers, then never does. The SBVs are genuinely mystified as to who/how/why/when the papers were submitted.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony

Thanks for the link. I did e-mail them....I think we all need to do that. Swiftvets have the right to their ad...Keep up the great work guys!!!!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Smear campaign Reply with quote

Kevins wrote:
As a 20-year Navy veteran, I find it ironic that this site in its faq tells us not to believe the sailors who actually served on the boat commanded by Kerry. Hey, how would they know, they were only there. The ad is even funnier. These officers get on who never served on Kerry’s boat saying “I served with Kerry,” and the caption below the photos lists the medal they won. Those medal don’t mean anything if Sen. Kerry’s medals don’t. What the false attack ad does is call into question every medal won by every veteran. I know officers tend to get the majority of medals, but they don’t award them to themselves. This smear campaign by this so-called “swift boat veterans for truth” is lacking in just that: the truth.

Yeah...right...you're a 20 year Navy veteran and you think servicemen in a small boat division incapable of making an accurate assessment of a fellow serviceman's performance of duty?

What a pathetic joke.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: