SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fallujah is ON...!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Fallujah is ON...!!! Reply with quote

Preparations ... a US marine camped outside Fallujah, expected to be the scene of Iraq's bloodiest battle yet, writes his "zap number" on his kit bag. The number contains information on his social security number and blood type, to help with identification in case the troops are injured.

Games ... to ease the tension, the troops have had to find new ways of entertaining themselves, staging games over the weekend.

Meanwhile, civilians are leaving Fallujah. These men were headed for Baghdad yesterday, their ute loaded with household appliances. The US military warning any man under 45 entering or leaving Fallujah will now be detained; they are also advising women and children to leave.

[The declared state of emergency for the next 60 days]...comes after a recent spike in violence nationwide. Even yesterday the attacks on Iraqi police continued - this car was blown up in Baghdad while in Haditha, 21 officers were rounded up and shot in the head.

~~~~~

One report says 300 rebels have volunteered to act as suicide bombers in a ferocious counter-attack on any coalition assault.

US Army surgeon Tommy Brown, working in the centre of Baghdad, makes a phone call to his wife. He says he has slept for three of the past 48 hours and is preparing for the fallout from the anticipated attack on

Danger zone ... Major Scott Taylor of the British Army's Black Watch force leads his brigade into position in accordance with the ancient traditions of the fighting unit. They have taken up "forward positions" in the Sunni triangle to free up US troops needed at Fallujah.

In place ... Maj Taylor, his bagpiping done, takes his position at the Jurf al-Sukhr bridge.

PEACE LIKE A RIVER

When peace like a river, attendeth my way;
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

It is well...with my soul... It is well, it is well, with my soul...

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

He lives--oh, the bliss of this glorious thought;
My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more.
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, Oh my soul.

And, Lord, haste the day when our faith shall be sight
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll,
The trumpet shall sound, and the Lord shall descend;
Even so, it is well with my soul...

~~Horatio Gates Spafford -- [1873]

Iraqi National Guard soldiers with 3rd Company 5th Battalion provide security during training at Camp Fallujah, Iraq, Nov. 5, 2004. U.S. Marine Corps. photo by Staff Sgt. Jonathan C. Knauth

Mexican-born U.S. Marine Lance Corporal Ardo Ramos writes a letter while Lance Corporal John Bishop of Indiana sleeps, during a break at a base near Falluja in western Iraq (news - web sites), November 7, 2004. The Marines are preparing for an expected full-scale assault on Falluja and Ramadi, another rebel-held Sunni Muslim city west of Baghdad

AP: U.S. forces storm into western Fallujah
Bakersfield Californian ^ | 11/7/04 | Jim Krane - AP

Posted on 11/07/2004 4:24:27 PM PST by NormsRevenge

NEAR FALLUJAH, Iraq (AP) - U.S. forces stormed into western districts of Fallujah early Monday, seizing the main city hospital and securing two key bridges over the Euphrates river in what appeared to be the first stage of the long-expected assault on the insurgent stronghold.

An AC-130 gunship raked the city with 40 mm cannon fire as explosions from U.S. artillery lit up the night sky. Intermittent artillery fire blasted southern neighborhoods of Fallujah, and orange fireballs from high explosive airbursts could be seen above the rooftops.

U.S. officials said the toughest fight was yet to come - when American forces enter the main part of the city on the east bank of the river, including the Jolan neighborhood where insurgent defenses are believed the strongest.

The initial attacks on Fallujah began just hours after the Iraqi government declared 60 days of emergency rule throughout most of the country as militants dramatically escalated attacks, killing at least 30 people, including two Americans.

Dr. Salih al-Issawi, the head of Fallujah's main hospital, said he had asked U.S. officers to allow doctors and ambulances go inside the main part of the city to help the wounded but they refused. There was no confirmation from the Americans.

"The American troops'take over the hospital was not right because they thought that they would halt medical assistance to the resistance," he said by telephone to a reporter inside the city. "But they did not realize that the hospital does not belong to anybody, especially the resistance."

The action began after sundown on the outskirts of the city, which has been sealed off by U.S. and Iraqi forces, and the minaret-studded skyline was lit up with huge flashes of light.

Flares were dropped to illuminate targets, and defenders fought back with heavy machine gunfire. Flaming red tracer rounds streaked through the night sky from guerrilla positions inside the city, 40 miles west of Baghdad.

Before the assault began, U.S. commanders warned troops to expect the most brutal urban fighting since the Vietnam War.

Underscoring the instability elsewhere in Iraq, several heavy explosions thundered through the capital even as government spokesman Thair Hassan al-Naqeeb was announcing the state of emergency, which applies throughout the country except for Kurdish-ruled areas in the north.

Iraqi interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi said the state of emergency is a "very powerful message that we are serious" about reining in insurgents before elections set for late January.

"We want to secure the country so elections can be done in a peaceful way and the Iraqi people can participate in the elections freely, without the intimidation by terrorists and by forces who are trying to wreck the political process in Iraq," he told reporters.

Allawi said nothing in public about the beginning of the attack in Fallujah, although U.S. commanders have said it would be his responsibility to order the storming of the city.

Insurgents, meanwhile, waged a second day of multiple attacks across the restive Sunni Triangle north and west of Baghdad, storming police stations, assassinating government officials and setting off deadly car bombs. About 60 people have been killed and 75 injured in the two days of attacks.

At dawn, armed rebels stormed three police stations in the towns of Haditha and Haqlaniyah, 140 miles northwest of Baghdad, killing 22 policemen. Some were lined up and shot execution-style, according to police and hospital officials.

Three attacks on U.S. convoys in and around Baghdad killed two American soldiers and wounded five others, the military said. Residents reported grenades setting police cars aflame on Haifa Street in the heart of the capital.

A car bomb also exploded near the Baghdad home of Iraq's finance minister, Adil Abdel-Mahdi, a leading Shiite politician. Abdel-Mahdi and his family were not home at the time, but the U.S. military said the bomb killed one Iraqi bystander and wounded another. A U.S. patrol came under small-arms fire as it responded, wounding one soldier, a statement said.

In a Web posting, the al-Qaida affiliate group of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, believed headquartered in Fallujah, claimed responsibility for the attacks on Haditha and Haqlaniyah.

"In the dawn of this blessed day, the lions of al-Qaida in Iraq faced up to a group of apostates in the proud city of Haditha," said the statement, which could not be authenticated. "The lions stormed the city's police directorate and killed everyone there...With this operation, the city has been completely liberated. The lions have been wandering in the city until late today."

The widespread insurgent attacks seemed aimed at relieving the pressure on Fallujah, where about 10,000 American troops - including two Marine battalions and an Army battalion - were massed for the assault. Two Iraqi brigades also stood by.

The emergency decree lays the groundwork for a severe crackdown in areas where guerrillas operate.

Under the law, all traffic and men between the ages of 15 and 55 were banned from the streets of Fallujah and surrounding areas 24 hours a day.

All members of the Fallujah police and security services were suspended indefinitely. Under the emergency power, all roads into Fallujah and neighboring Ramadi are closed indefinitely.

Government negotiators earlier Sunday reported the failure of last-minute talks for peace even as Allawi had said dialogue with Fallujah leaders was still possible, even if a large-scale military action began.

Allawi, a secular-minded Shiite Muslim, faced strong pressure from within the minority Sunni community to avoid an all-out assault.

"I urge the brother prime minister to reconsider the issue of storming Fallujah and to give another chance for dialogue," Hatim Jassim, a member of the Iraqi National Council, told Al-Jazeera television.

"I urge the brother prime minister to reconsider the issue of storming Fallujah and to give another chance for dialogue," Hatim Jassim, a member of the Iraqi National Council, told Al-Jazeera television.

Ooooooopssss.....too little, TOO LATE...!!!

Shocked

Battle Hymn of the Republic

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored,
He has loosed the fateful lightening of His terrible swift sword
His truth is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps
His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnish`d rows of steel,
"As ye deal with my contemners, So with you my grace shall deal;"
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel
Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

(Deleted By Admin)
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Begins Fallujah Assault -(New British Black Watch Injuries)
scotsman ^ | 8 Nov 2004 | PA Reporters

(UK) US Begins Fallujah Assault

By PA Reporters

US forces stormed key areas of Fallujah early today, in what appeared to be the first stage of the long-expected assault on the rebel stronghold.

The offensive came hours after two Black Watch soldiers were seriously injured in a suicide bombing while on patrol in the notorious “triangle of death”.

The initial attacks on Fallujah began after the Iraqi government declared 60 days of emergency rule throughout most of the country, as militants dramatically escalated attacks, killing at least 30 people, including two Americans.

And further south in Zubayr, a city just south of Basra, a British contractor died in a roadside car bomb, according to reports.

The two soldiers, both bomb disposal experts, were in the back of an armoured Warrior combat vehicle when a suicide car bomber ploughed into them.

The explosion, within earshot of Camp Dogwood, blew the legs off one of the men and caused horrific limb injuries to the other. Their lives were probably saved by a doctor at the scene.

The men, one serving with the Royal Logistics Corps and the other with the Royal Signals, were airlifted to a US medical centre where their condition was described as “stable” by the Ministry of Defence.

From there, they were flown out of Iraq bound for a military hospital in Germany.

The rebel action came four days after three Black Watch soldiers were killed following their controversial redeployment in the US controlled area.
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. Marine Tanks Prepare for Falluja Offensive
Yahoo News ^ | 11/07/04 | Michael Georgy

NEAR FALLUJA, Iraq (Reuters) - Gunfire crackled from a nearby junkyard used by insurgents on Monday when a U.S. Marine tank company and infantry units began moving into a desert staging position for an expected offensive on Falluja. U.S. artillery pounded the rebel-held Sunni Muslim city overnight while tracer rounds and flares lit up the sky.

An electronic tracking device in a rear Humvee vehicle showed U.S. positions on the edge of Falluja, some 30 miles west of Baghdad.

"Shoemaker do you have your neck guard on? Scan the area," Gunnery Sargeant Christopher Garza told his tobacco-chewing machinegunner as 70-ton tanks and amphibious transport vehicles traveled along deserted roads.

"If we get hit you just drive and we will do the rest," he told the driver.

The marines had been warned to stay alert for any suicide car bombers ramming American convoys.

Iraq (news - web sites)'s U.S.-backed interim government has vowed to break the back of a raging insurgency, particularly in Falluja, and help stabilize the country before elections scheduled for January.

For many of the marines, it marks the first time they will see major combat.

The U.S. military says 1,000 to 6,000 fighters -- Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) supporters and foreign Islamic militants led by Jordanian al Qaeda ally Abu Musab al-Zarqawi -- are holed up in Falluja's alleyways and on rooftops.

"These insurgents are going to get a lot more than they bargained for," said Garza, 30, from Houston, Texas.

Wearing night vision goggles over their helmets, marines were ready with their M-16 rifles on the two-hour journey to the staging post, where headlights were kept off.

U.S. warplanes screamed overhead and AC-130 gunships with cannons and machineguns that sound like a giant drill pounded Falluja.

After their Humvees parked near M1A1 tanks, marines were told to take turns manning swivel machineguns on the dark green armored vehicles.

"Even though the tanks are positioned in front you still need to keep close watch," said tank company commander Captain Robert Bodisch.

The sound of thunder mixed with the air strikes as lightning illuminated tank cannons pointing toward Falluja.

"If we start getting mortared you need to get in the Humvee and close the door and stay there. And you need to get in and close the swivel hatch," Garza told his men.
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video shows deadly attack on UK troops
From correspondents in Baghdad
November 8, 2004

A VIDEO purportedly showing a suicide attack against British troops last week has been posted on an Islamic website.

Soldiers from Britain's Black Watch regiment were manning a vehicle checkpoint south of Baghdad when a suicide bomber blew up his vehicle and other insurgents fired mortars at the position on Thursday, killing three soldiers and wounding eight more, according to British officials.

An Iraqi interpreter who had postponed his wedding to travel to central Iraq with the troops was also killed, British officials said.

Al-Qaeda-linked followers of Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi claimed responsibility for the attack.

A subtitle on the videotape posted yesterday claimed "The first martyrdom operation against the British forces in Baghdad" before a car was shown slowly driving down a road before it bursts into flames.

The video later shows a blown-off arm and a person, partially off-camera, kicks the arm around before he forcefully steps on it. A subtitle reads "these are some of the body parts that they have not seen because there were so many."

Off-camera, a voice yells out "Allahu akbar," or "God is Great." The tape also shows military vehicles and a helicopter hovering nearby.

At one point, a voice proclaims: "I swear ... that the head of America has been rolled in the dust and trampled on by our heroes."

A spokesman for the British Ministry of Defence said officials were unable to authenticate the video.

"It does however appear to show an attack against coalition forces," he said.

U.S. Army surgeon Maj. Charlie Clark dresses the head of an American soldier after reconstructing the soldier's entire face at the 31st Combat Support Hospital in the Green Zone of Baghdad, Iraq in the early hours of Monday, Nov. 8, 2004. The soldier had been shot in the face by an insurgent sniper.

The British forces had been sent from relatively peaceful southern Iraq to the American-controlled high-risk area near Baghdad to free up US forces for an assault on the militant stronghold of Fallujah.

The troop movement is politically sensitive for British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who has come under criticism for supporting the US in Iraq.

The three deaths represented the worst combat loss suffered by British troops since August 23, 2003, when three Royal Military Police were killed in southern Iraq. So far, 73 British troops have been killed.

Al-Zarqawi's group, formerly known as Tawhid and Jihad, is believed responsible for numerous car bombings and beheadings of foreign hostages, including Briton Kenneth Bigley.

Quote:
US forces storm into Fallujah
Nov 08 13:46

AP

An AC-130 gunship raked the city with 40mm cannon fire as explosions from US artillery lit up the night sky. Intermittent artillery fire blasted southern neighbourhoods of Fallujah, and orange fireballs from high explosive air bursts could be seen above the rooftops.

US officials said the toughest fight was yet to come when American forces entered the main part of the city on the east bank of the river, including the Jolan neighbourhood where insurgent defences were believed the strongest.

The initial attacks on Fallujah began just hours after the Iraqi government declared 60 days of emergency rule throughout most of the country yesterday as militants dramatically escalated attacks, killing at least 30 people, including two Americans.

In Fallujah, Salih al-Issawi, the head of the city's main hospital, said he had asked US officers to allow doctors and ambulances to go inside the main part of the city to help the wounded but they refused. There was no confirmation from the Americans.

"The American troops takeover of the hospital was not right because they thought that they would halt medical assistance to the resistance," he said by telephone to a reporter inside the city. "But they did not realise that the hospital does not belong to anybody, especially the resistance."

[quote]Video shows deadly attack on UK troops
November 8, 2004

A VIDEO purportedly showing a suicide attack against British troops last week has been posted on an Islamic website.

Soldiers from Britain's Black Watch regiment were manning a vehicle checkpoint south of Baghdad when a suicide bomber blew up his vehicle and other insurgents fired mortars at the position on Thursday, killing three soldiers and wounding eight more, according to British officials.

An Iraqi interpreter who had postponed his wedding to travel to central Iraq with the troops was also killed, British officials said.

Al-Qaeda-linked followers of Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi claimed responsibility for the attack.

A subtitle on the videotape posted yesterday claimed "The first martyrdom operation against the British forces in Baghdad" before a car was shown slowly driving down a road before it bursts into flames.

The video later shows a blown-off arm and a person, partially off-camera, kicks the arm around before he forcefully steps on it. A subtitle reads "these are some of the body parts that they have not seen because there were so many."

Off-camera, a voice yells out "Allahu akbar," or "God is Great." The tape also shows military vehicles and a helicopter hovering nearby.

At one point, a voice proclaims: "I swear ... that the head of America has been rolled in the dust and trampled on by our heroes."

A spokesman for the British Ministry of Defence said officials were unable to authenticate the video.

"It does however appear to show an attack against coalition forces," he said.

The British forces had been sent from relatively peaceful southern Iraq to the American-controlled high-risk area near Baghdad to free up US forces for an assault on the militant stronghold of Fallujah.

The troop movement is politically sensitive for British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who has come under criticism for supporting the US in Iraq.

The three deaths represented the worst combat loss suffered by British troops since August 23, 2003, when three Royal Military Police were killed in southern Iraq. So far, 73 British troops have been killed.

Al-Zarqawi's group, formerly known as Tawhid and Jihad, is believed responsible for numerous car bombings and beheadings of foreign hostages, including Briton Kenneth Bigley.

Quote:
US forces storm into Fallujah
Nov 08 13:46
AP

An AC-130 gunship raked the city with 40mm cannon fire as explosions from US artillery lit up the night sky. Intermittent artillery fire blasted southern neighbourhoods of Fallujah, and orange fireballs from high explosive air bursts could be seen above the rooftops.

US officials said the toughest fight was yet to come when American forces entered the main part of the city on the east bank of the river, including the Jolan neighbourhood where insurgent defences were believed the strongest.

The initial attacks on Fallujah began just hours after the Iraqi government declared 60 days of emergency rule throughout most of the country yesterday as militants dramatically escalated attacks, killing at least 30 people, including two Americans.

In Fallujah, Salih al-Issawi, the head of the city's main hospital, said he had asked US officers to allow doctors and ambulances to go inside the main part of the city to help the wounded but they refused. There was no confirmation from the Americans.

"The American troops takeover of the hospital was not right because they thought that they would halt medical assistance to the resistance," he said by telephone to a reporter inside the city. "But they did not realise that the hospital does not belong to anybody, especially the resistance."
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Never do what the enemy wishes you to do, for this reason alone, that he desires it; avoid a battlefield he has reconnoitered and studied and, with even more reason, ground that he has fortified and where he is entrenched."
-- Napoleon: Maxims of War

Recently, in a short article regarding the massacre of Iraqi national guardsmen, I noted that, because it is a sanctuary for Islamoterrorists and a symbol of their power, "Fallujah must fall."

Now U.S. forces including Marines, Army, some special units and Iraqi troops are tightening the noose around the so-called "City of Mosques."

Air and artillery strikes against "strongpoints" in the city have been increasing in frequency and intensity. Press reports and television news footage often show destroyed or damaged buildings and inevitable reports of what may or may not be "civilian casualties." It is difficult to assess the degree to which these strikes have actually killed fighters and vitiated the insurgents' combat capability.

In any case, Fallujah promises to be a bloody, vicious fight. One press report led with a U.S. Marine surgeon's alleged statement that the American casualty rate "probably will reach levels not seen since Vietnam."

Estimates of the size of the terrorist force inside the "ring" range from 1000 to 5000. It remains to be seen whether the Islamofascist fighters will be as suicidally dedicated as, say, the Japanese on Iwo Jima and Okinawa, but if past experience in Iraq is any indicator some portion of them will be.

And, worse, they have had time to prepare -- many months in which to anticipate where and how they will meet the "crusaders" and their "apostate" Iraqi allies. They have planted explosive booby traps and rigged car bombs. They have keyed their defense to those sites which they know Americans will be reluctant to engage -- school buildings, hospitals, and of course the city's many mosques and holy sites.

Some of these efforts will be (and in some cases have been) obviated by the work of our special units (Seals, etc.). And the proven ability of modern American weapons and surveillance technology to "shape" the battlefield may palliate to some extent the challenges of Napoleon's maxim. But Fallujah and its environs will still present some treacherous real estate for American troops.

In the April fighting in Fallujah, the insurgents showed a grasp of urban combat basics, such as the fortifying of houses or buildings that command strategic intersections of the city. They also showed no compunction about using ambulances and school buses to move fighters from strongpoint to strongpoint, or using the remaining civilians (city population: about 300,000) as shields and foils in street fighting.

Many insurgents killed in the April street battles were Fallujah "locals," young men (some probably ex-Iraqi soldiers) fired to a combative fervor by their imams but fatally ignorant of how to fight against a trained force. But there was behind them a core of veteran Arab terrorists with Al Qaeda training and good basic military skills.

What these leaders and experienced fighters will do as the assault on the city approaches, presents one of the most intriguing aspects of the "defense" of Fallujah.

The possibility cannot be discounted that any Al Qaeda "foreign legionnaires" and fighters loyal to Jordanian jihadofanatic Abu Musab al-Zarqawi may already be trickling out of Fallujah. They may melt away with the intention of reconstituting somewhere else and fighting some other day.

In fact, from the standpoint of guerrilla warfare, that would be considered the wise strategic move. One of the subtle paradoxes of effective insurgency is that the guerrillas should not concentrate forces in one place lest they become the target for one fatal blow against them.

And if the terrorists stay in Fallujah they will certainly be decimated. Car bombings and beheadings have their own terrible power but al-Zarqawi's fighters will find that street fighting with Marines has a terrible inevitability.

In "classic" guerrilla warfare, the terrorists would avoid such a circumstance by not being wedded to territory. Their headquarters would be in their pockets. They would disperse; move "among the people." They would follow the dictum of that consummate guerrilla, the Confederate John S. Mosby:

"Having no fixed lines to guard or defined territory to hold, it was always my policy to elude the enemy when they came in search of me, and carry the war into their own camps."

So, this is the puzzle of Fallujah. Has the "Islamic Republic" established there become such a symbol to the insurgents that they must now stay and defend it? And have they in fact put down such logistical and financial roots in the city that they are militarily tied there?

Or might al-Zarqawi and whoever else represents the "military" leadership stage a sort of Potemkin defense -- whipping hundreds of young Sunni men there into a fatalistic frenzy and letting them die in the streets while the more experienced fighters escape?

It is completely within the cast of the Islamoterrorist leaders' thinking to cynically decide that, since Fallujah will eventually fall, it can fall as a symbolic city of young martyrs.

A few experienced, hard-core fighters would remain to guide and goad those chosen for the slaughter. Given the nature of this kind of warfare (car and roadside bombs, suicidal snipers etc.) such a force would still be able to exact daunting casualties on U.S. and Iraqi troops. Meanwhile, the main element of the terrorist forces, the veterans, will have moved on to reconstitute itself elsewhere.

It is hoped that troops in the American cordon are ruthlessly screening and sifting all the "civilians" fleeing the area in case this conjecture is correct.

The legendary Arab insurgent leader T. E. Lawrence described the characteristics of a guerrilla force as "speed and endurance, ubiquity and independence of arteries of supply." The "ubiquity" of al-Zarqawi and his fighters - their presence as a force to be reckoned with in Iraq -- will be severely compromised or eliminated if they choose to stay and fight in Fallujah.

Let us hope that some kind of Islamic hubris has painted them into a difficult and ultimately fatal corner.

And if the terrorists stay in Fallujah they will certainly be decimated. Car bombings and beheadings have their own terrible power but al-Zarqawi's fighters will find that street fighting with Marines has a terrible inevitability.

Exclamation

Quote:
“Attack [your opponent] where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. ... Hence that general is skillful in attack whose opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skillful in defense whose opponent does not know what to attack.” – Sun Tzu
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-planned Fallujah attack begins
First of more than 10,000 American and Iraqi troops start campaign to drive insurgents from city attack begins

BY MATTHEW MCALLESTER
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

November 8, 2004

FALLUJAH, Iraq -- American and Iraqi forces attacked the insurgent-held city of Fallujah last night in a bid to sweep the town of rebels and turn it over to the interim Iraqi government in the run-up to the country's scheduled first elections in January, American military commanders said.

As an AC-130 gunship targeted suspected car bombs in the town, and artillery pounded suspected rebel positions, the first of more than 10,000 American and Iraqi troops began to push into this city of 250,000, military sources said.

advertisement

advertisement

Working from a battle plan weeks in the making, Marines and an Iraqi commando squad made the first thrust -- seizing a peninsula on the western side of the town, which is separated from the rest of the city by the Euphrates River, military sources said. On the peninsula is a hospital that the American commanders wanted to secure as soon as the fighting began. Troops secured two key bridges over the Euphrates at both ends, an American commander said.

American commanders said shortly before the airstrikes began that the forces amassed against the estimated 3,000 insurgents in Fallujah were overwhelming.

"That town's going to be lit up tonight," said Army Maj. Tim Karcher, operations officer for the 2nd Battalion of the 7th Cavalry Regiment, an army unit that a Newsday reporter is accompanying.

Hours before the attack began, Lt. Gen. John F. Sattler, commanding general of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, addressed 2,000 to 3,000 Marines at a base near Fallujah.

"You can feel the energy," Sattler told them. "You can feel the chemistry. You're going to give that to the Iraqi forces as they join that fight. God bless you, each and everyone. You know what your mission is. Go out there and get it done."

What military commanders said was the start of the much anticipated attack began on a day in which the interim Iraqi government announced a state of emergency for 60 days in all of the country except for the Kurdish-controlled north.

Insurgents continued what appeared to be an escalating campaign to distract coalition and Iraqi forces elsewhere in the central region of the country. The bombings, executions of police officers, assaults on police stations and other acts of violence against Iraqi and American targets brought the total of those killed over the weekend to more than 50.

Interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi said yesterday, shortly before the attack started, that action could be near. "We can't wait indefinitely," he said. "We have made our case very clear, that we have nothing with the people of Fallujah. On the contrary, the people of Fallujah have been asking us to really intervene as fast as we can and to salvage the people. They have been taken hostage by a bunch of terrorists and bandits and insurgents who were part of the old regime. They had been involved in atrocities when Saddam was around. Our government is determined to safeguard the Iraqi people."

Tense time for soldiers

With violence erupting around the region, tension has been building among the soldiers of the 2nd Battalion, which was once led by Lt. Col. George Custer at Little Big Horn.

The men here have seen major action before, unlike many in Iraq. Most of them were involved in the intense battle with Shia insurgents from the Mehdi Army in the city of Najaf in August.

Each night, soldiers have lain in big blue-and-white tents in a camp outside Fallujah on dark khaki cots, watching DVDs on their laptops, chuckling in the private oblivion of headphones. Others have sat in corners with a pack of cards, a voice rising with a win, others groaning.

Somewhere nearby an artillery battery has for days been booming irregularly but often, targeting Fallujah and making even some of these experienced soldiers leap.

"You need new underwear, you just let me know," they like to call out to each other when they spot each other flinching.

Soldiers have not been coming to Chaplain Jonathan Fowler with jokes. They have been coming to him "to get good with God," he said. These are young men, some 19 years old, and they know that they might not come back from this fight.

One soldier new to the unit -- he signed up five months ago -- has been suspiciously quiet, said Staff Sgt. Carlos Santillana, 24, of Abilene, Texas, himself already a veteran of the fighting in Najaf.

"What's wrong, man?" Santillana said he asked the soldier on Saturday.

"I'm scared," the young soldier told him.

"Scared of what?" Santillana asked him.

"Scared of dying," the soldier said.

"You're in the wrong job, man," came the response.

Yesterday Santillana, a self-described obsessive-compulsive neatness freak -- he smiles beatifically when he talks about the calming sound of a vacuum cleaner -- was making his final, meticulous preparations with his squad. The anxious soldier would be fine, he said.

"He's new," he said. "Once the first bullet flies by his head he'll be fine. He'll wake up real quick."

In Najaf, Santillana had another soldier who just wouldn't fight. He would follow the others into a building, he would do everything he was told; he just wouldn't "pull that damn trigger," Santillana said.

Most of his soldiers didn't have that problem. They shot too much, if anything, he said.

Remembering past fighting

There are memories from that battle that soldiers like Santillana are carrying around with them, like it or not. Santillana, a father of a 15-month-old boy he's hardly seen, shot people dead from a distance that neutralized his emotions and he shot others so close he could see their facial expressions. One time, he and his men shot dead two Iraqi militants after watching them load their Kalashnikovs.

"It's a sick feeling," he said, looking at the ground. "You kind of put yourself in his position. It's a sick feeling."

Santillana, like many soldiers, had been preparing himself for this coming battle in his own way.

"Everyone's different," he said. He gestured to his friend, Sgt. Akram Abdelwahab, 28, from Spartanburg, S.C., who is known around the platoon as the craziest of them all. He's the point man of Santillana's squad. That means he runs ahead, scouting for hidden bombs and hiding enemies. He has tattoos all over his torso.

"He's listening to music and getting psyched up," Santillana said, as Abdelwahab smiled. "I just like to sleep."

Abdelwahab's favorite pre-battle music is the shock rockers like Marilyn Manson. His favorite song's title cannot be published in a family newspaper but it is about hate. (He also has a photograph of his two young children stuck on the inside of his helmet. "We love you, Daddy," is printed on the photograph.)

If you don't think about dying, if you don't try to come to terms with it, Santillana said, there's something wrong with you.

"If you're ready and at peace with wherever you're going to go, you're good to go," he said. "If you ain't afraid of dying, you got issues. ... Whenever you come close to it, you find God real quick."

Abdelwahab said he wasn't afraid of dying.

"Are you at one with Satan?" Santillana asked him, laughing.

Religion and faith pops up in conversation with just about every soldier with the 2nd Battalion.

"I do a lot of praying," said Staff Sgt. Michael Clifford, 39, of Arlington, Texas. "Making sure he's taking care of us up there. The way I look at it, we're not over here to kill. We're here to separate good from evil."

Clifford will be loading huge, devastating shells in an Abrams in the coming days. As an observant Catholic, he can't bear the idea of Iraqi civilians dying in this fight.

"That was my first thought is I sure hope those civilian people get out of there," he said. "I pray for the innocent. The insurgents will come into their homes and take away their homes. ... What can they do?"

Expecting to take casualties

It's his own men that the 2nd Battalion's commanding officer was thinking about on Saturday.

"We're going to take some casualties," Lt. Col. Jim Rainey, 39, said, sitting in his Tactical Operations Center, a room created under canvas between military vehicles that has been his headquarters for several days. Early this morning, he moved it up to within a mile of the outskirts of Fallujah.

Rainey gets respect from his men. He's something of a scholar of the region, Islam, past wars, history and insurgents like Che Guevara. He has two master's degrees. But he downplays that, chews tobacco on the inside of his lower lip like many of his grunts and likes to imply that his executive officer, Maj. Scott Jackson, is smarter than he is. But the battle-planning and the ultimate responsibility for the hundreds of men under his command are his.

"It's hard," he said. "I'm in charge of X number of guys and some of them are going to get hurt."

One thing that will help protect them is their experience in Najaf. Most of his men were there. They fought for 15 sweltering days in the summer, alongside the Marines. They learned some useful lessons there, soldiers said.

Most important was that all they had learned in training meant nothing on the ground. After that salutary lesson came the revelation that the 2nd Battalion's Abrams tanks and Bradley Fighting Vehicles turned out to be perfect for urban combat. Designed for open-terrain warfare rather than street-to-street fighting, the heavily armored track vehicles gave the soldiers enormous protection.

Santillana said that the tanks, with their huge shells that can pierce through two walls before exploding in devastating heat, would take care of threats from the ground level; the Bradleys, with their mobile 25 mm guns, would swivel around and kill assailants on roofs or higher floors. Once the vehicles and their gunners had done what they could, the ramp at the back of the Bradleys would lower and five or six infantrymen like Santillana would rush out and into the buildings where lingering insurgents were.

Once inside, they learned not to stand anywhere there was light. The insurgents had good snipers. They also learned that in face of death, humor and calm bubble up at the most unlikely of times. Once, two soldiers were about to go into a stairwell but they couldn't agree on who should go first.

"No, you go," one said.

"No, you go," the other said. So they played rock, paper, scissors to see who went first, Santillana said.

But whatever experience gained and lessons learned in Najaf are only of limited comfort to the soldiers who were preparing to go into Fallujah, a city apparently crawling with committed and sometimes suicidal enemies who have had six months to prepare for this battle.

Rainey's men have gone out on reconnaissance missions, out to the trailers where other soldiers dole out food twice a day, out to train bursting into narrow doorways. Until last night, they had not gone out to do what they came here to do.

"You're rested you're ready and we're prepared," Rainey told his staff last night, as they sat around him in his command tent. "This is going to be the biggest fight any of us will do in the near future. No matter what we think about the Iraqi war or the Iraqi government this fight is 100 percent about terrorists, terrorists who want to come to your home and kill you. It's going to be a tougher fight than Najaf."

Rainey had a final thought for his officers and senior NCOs: "Don't leave your honor, values or buddies on the battlefield."

Quote:
Over 30 killed in Iraq insurgent attacks

By ROBERT H. REID
Associated Press Writer

November 6, 2004, 6:20 PM EST

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Facing a major assault in Fallujah, insurgents struck back Saturday with suicide car bombs, mortars and rockets across a wide swath of central Iraq, killing over 30 people and wounding more than 60 others, including nearly two dozen Americans.

The attacks could have been aimed at relieving pressure on Fallujah, where about 10,000 American troops are massing for a major assault. Web site postings late Saturday claimed responsibility for several attacks in the name of an al-Qaida-linked group believed holed up in Fallujah.

U.S. jets pounded Fallujah early Saturday in the heaviest airstrikes in six months -- including five 500-pound bombs dropped on insurgent targets. Residents reported U.S. artillery fire late Saturday in southern parts of the city.

The deadliest attacks Saturday occurred in Samarra, a city 60 miles north of Baghdad that U.S. and Iraqi commanders have touted as model for pacifying restive Sunni Muslim areas of the country.

Insurgents in Samarra stormed a police station, triggered at least two suicide car bombs and fired mortars at government installations. One of the car bombs, targeting the mayor's office, used a stolen Iraqi police vehicle, the U.S. military said.

Twenty-nine people, including 17 police and 12 Iraqi civilians, were killed throughout the city, the U.S. military said. Arabic language television stations said more than 30 died as gangs of insurgents roamed the city, clashing with American and Iraqi forces.

The dead included the local Iraqi National Guard commander, Abdel Razeq Shaker al-Garmali, hospital officials said. Forty other people, including 17 policemen, were injured, the military said.

U.S. military vehicles roamed through the besieged city using loudspeakers to announce an indefinite curfew starting at 2 p.m. Saturday. American warplanes and helicopters roamed the skies.

Elsewhere, 16 American soldiers were wounded Saturday when a suicide bomber using an Iraqi police car rammed their convoy in Ramadi, a major city in the volatile Sunni Triangle, U.S. officials said. They gave no further details, citing security.

Three other Americans were wounded when a car bomb exploded near the entrance to Baghdad International Airport. One Iraqi was killed and another injured, the U.S. military said. Three Humvees were heavily damaged, witnesses said.

Two Marines were injured by a car bomb near a Fallujah checkpoint, and a U.S. soldier was wounded when a roadside bomb exploded south of Fallujah. Explosions rattled the center of Baghdad through the night Saturday.

In Web postings, the al-Qaida affiliate group of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi claimed responsibility for the attacks in Samarra, Ramadi and Baghdad. The claims could not be verified, but U.S. officials believe al-Zarqawi's group uses Fallujah as a base.

Samarra, an ancient city of gold-domed mosques that once served as the capital of a Muslim empire extending from Spain to India, was recaptured from Sunni Muslim insurgents in September and was touted as a model for restoring government control to other areas formerly under guerrilla domination.

U.S. and Iraqi forces hope to use the same techniques if they drive Sunni militants from Fallujah. American commanders have assembled a force of Marines, Army soldiers and U.S.-trained Iraqi fighters around Fallujah, a major insurgent base 40 miles west of Baghdad.

They are awaiting orders from interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi to launch an all-out assault.

Col. Gary Brandl voiced his troops' determination:

"The enemy has got a face. He's called Satan. He's in Fallujah and we're going to destroy him."

However, the violence in Samarra underscored the difficulty of maintaining civilian authority in Sunni areas even after the worst of the fighting ebbs.

"I cannot claim that entering Fallujah will end the terrorist attacks in Iraq," Iraq's national security adviser, Qassem Dawoud, told Al-Arabiya television. "But I can say that we will deal with a very big pocket of terrorism in Iraq and we will uproot it. This pocket forms the backbone and the center for terrorists in other areas in Iraq."

Elsewhere, gunmen killed a former official of Saddam Hussein's intelligence service in Baquouba, 55 kilometers (35 miles) northeast of Baghdad, police said. The assailants stopped a car carrying former Lt. Col. Abdul Sattar al-Luheibi, ordered him out of the car and gunned him down in front of his 13-year-old son.

U.S. and Iraqi authorities hope to curb the insurgency so that national elections can be held by the end of January. However, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and others have warned that a military offensive could trigger a wave of violence that would sabotage the ballot.

The influential Sunni clerical Association of Muslim Scholars has threatened to call a boycott if Fallujah is attacked. A public outcry over civilian casualties prompted the Bush administration to call off a siege in April, after which Fallujah fell under control of radical clerics.

"The experience that occurred in Samarra is now being repeated again in Fallujah, and we can see that nothing was achieved in Samarra," Ayad al-Samaraei of the Sunni-led Iraqi Islamic party told Al-Jazeera television. "The situation is still as it was before" in Samarra.

In an open letter to the Iraqi people posted Saturday on the Internet, 26 Saudi scholars and religious preachers said that armed resistance against American troops and their Iraqi allies was a "legitimate right."

The scholars issued a fatwa, or religious edict, prohibiting Iraqis from offering any support for military operations carried out by U.S. forces against militant strongholds.

"Fighting the occupiers is a duty for all those who are able," said the letter dated Friday. "It is a jihad to push back the assailants ... Resistance is a legitimate right. A Muslim must not inflict harm on any resistance man or inform about them. Instead, they should be supported and protected."

U.S. intelligence estimates there are about 3,000 insurgents dug in behind defenses and booby traps in Fallujah, a city of about 300,000 which has become a symbol throughout the Islamic world of Iraqi resistance to the U.S.-led occupation.

Allawi, a secular Shiite Muslim with strong ties to the CIA and State Department, has demanded that Fallujah hand over foreign extremists, including al-Zarqawi and his followers, and allow government troops to enter the city. Al-Zarqawi's group is responsible for numerous car bombs and beheading several foreign hostages.

Military planners believe there are about 1,200 hardcore insurgents in Fallujah -- at least half of them Iraqis. They are bolstered by insurgent cells with up to 2,000 fighters in the surrounding towns and countryside.

Iraqi authorities have closed a border crossing point with Syria, and U.S. troops have sealed up the main highway into Fallujah.
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The Iraqi government displayed 19 detainees on television on Sunday who it said had infiltrated Iraq (news - web sites)'s borders to fight against U.S.-led forces.

As U.S. Marines prepared for a major offensive on Falluja and Ramadi, cities they say are nerve centers of an insurgency led by foreign militants, official television station Al Iraqiya broadcast footage of the dishevelled prisoners in navy blue boilersuits being questioned.

"We have footage of meetings with some of the terrorists who came from outside Iraq, out of 167 terrorists the Iraqi authorities have captured who were intending to carry out bombing operations in Iraqi cities," said a presenter introducing the men who were said to have confessed.

"The Iraqi government will present them to the judiciary once it finishes interrogating them."

But only one of the detainees was shown confessing he had come to Iraq to join the anti-U.S. insurgency. Nothing the others said showed they were in Iraq to fight with insurgents.

"I came for the first time during the war," said Tayseer Hassan al-Halaby, a youthful Palestinian who had lived in Syria. "I came with the fighters who entered Iraq."

Halaby said he had linked up with Arab fighters after entering Iraq and had later become involved in smuggling.

The footage, first broadcast on Saturday night, showed men of various ages, some with beards, a few looking dazed, lined up against a wire fence.

Some were then shown sitting individually in a small room identifying themselves and stating when they entered Iraq. Most said they came from Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, the Palestinian territories and Egypt. Two said they were Iranian.

Most had entered Iraq last year. Two Egyptians said they had been living in the country since 1983 and 1988. One man said he was Iraqi from Mosul, but his mother was Syrian.

Some gave no reason for their presence in Iraq. Others said they came to study, or work or visit Shi'ite Muslim shrines.

Iraqi officials have urged neighboring countries to prevent Islamic militants they blame for an insurgency raging since last year's U.S.-led invasion, from crossing Iraq's porous borders.

Yousef Hasan Sleiman, a man of Palestinian origin from Jordanian militant Abu Musab's al-Zarqawi's home town of Zarqa, said he had been based at a house in Falluja and was in the rebel city when the U.S. Marines stormed it in April.

Zarqawi, a sworn al Qaeda ally whose group has claimed responsibility for some of the bloodiest bombings, kidnappings and killings in Iraq, is Washington's number one enemy in Iraq.

This is EXCELLENT intel....

The Iraqis, riding with the GI's know the ground and will INSTANTLY spot the foreigners by their accents and racial characteristics.

I KNOW "race" is a taboo term in OUR Army, etc. but over "there" it is probably the FIRST thing to be considered....right after the cut and quality of your khaftan.

Wink
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AC-130H’s call sign is “Spectre.” The AC-130U’s call sign is “Spooky. ” The U-model is the third generation of C-130 gunships.

Quote:
AC-130U Spooky

Continuing the distinguished combat history of side-firing AC-130 gunships, the new AC-130U Spectre gunship is being fielded as a replacement for the AC-130A aircraft. This program acquires 13 new basic C-130H aircraft for modification and integration by Boeing to the AC-130U Gunship configuration. The AC-130U gunship airframe is integrated with an armor protection system (APS), high resolution sensors (All Light Level Television (ALLTV), infrared detection set (IDS) and strike radar), avionics and EW systems, a sophisticated software controlled fire control system, and an armament suite consisting of side-firing, trainable 25mm, 40mm, and 105mm guns. The strike radar provides the first gunship capability for all weather/night target acquisition and strike.

The acquisition program for this new gunship evolved from a Congressional mandate in the mid-1980s to revitalize the special operations force capabilties. Following the contract award to Rockwell in July 1987, the aircraft was first flown on 20 December 1990. FY92 procurement funding was increased to provide the 13th aircraft to replace the AC-130H lost during Desert Storm. Upon completing an exhaustive flight test program at Air Force Flight Test Center from 1991 to 1994 the first aircraft was delivered to AFSOC on July 1, 1994. Boeing’s contract includes: concurrent development, aircraft production, flight test, and delivery. All aircraft have been delivered and the program is transitioning to the sustainment phase. A competitive contract for sustainment was awarded in July 1998.

The AC-130U is the most complex aircraft weapon system in the world today. It has more than 609,000 lines of software code in its mission computers and avionics systems. The newest addition to the command fleet, this heavily armed aircraft incorporates side-firing weapons integrated with sophisticated sensor, navigation and fire control systems to provide surgical firepower or area saturation during extended loiter periods, at night and in adverse weather. The sensor suite consists of an All Light Level Television system and an infrared detection set. A multi-mode strike radar provides extreme long-range target detection and identification. It is able to track 40mm and 105mm projectiles and return pinpoint impact locations to the crew for subsequent adjustment to the target. The fire control system offers a Dual Target Attack capability, whereby two targets up to one kilometer apart can be simultaneously engaged by two different sensors, using two different guns. No other air-ground attack platform in the world offers this capability. Navigational devices include the inertial navigation system (INS) and global positioning system (GPS). The aircraft is pressurized, enabling it to fly at higher altitudes, saving fuel and time, and allowing for greater range than the AC-130H. Defensive systems include a countermeasures dispensing system that releases chaff and flares to counter radar infrared-guided anti-aircraft missiles. Also infrared heat shields mounted underneath the engines disperse and hide engine heat sources from infrared-guided anti-aircraft missiles

One 25mm GAU-12 Gatling gun
(1,800 rounds per minute)
one L60 40mm Bofors cannon
(100 shots per minute)
one M102 105mm cannon
# (6-10 rounds per minute) Countermeasures AN/AAQ-24 Directional Infrared Countermeasures (DIRCM)
# AN/AAR-44 infrared warning receiver
# AN/AAR-47 missile warning system
# AN/ALE-47 flare and chaff dispensing system
# AN/ALQ-172 Electronic Countermeasure System
# AN/ALQ-196 Jammer
# AN/ALR-69 radar warning receiver
# AN/APR-46A panoramic RF receiver
# QRC-84-02 infrared countermeasures system

[img]Oversized image deleted by Admin[/img]

A purple heart medal is taped to the chest of an unidentified American soldier while in the intensive care unit of 31st Combat Support Hospital in the Green Zone of Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, Nov. 7, 2004. The soldier was wounded in a car bomb explosion in Baghdad Sunday, and the medal, awarded for being wounded in combat, was taped to his chest so that it would not be lost during his medevac to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany.

Quote:
Dear Lord, provide a hedge of protection around our precious soldiers and airmen. May they know the reality and the comfort of Your love for them, and that You walk every step with them, and share every burden.

Pray pray pray with all your faith and heart .. this is a most dangerous time.
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i recommend a link to those articles or at least your favorite one?
Hellfire
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

call me kooky, but I would just carpet bomb the piss out of the place, or roast them with a few MOABs. Don't we have the accuracy to cluster bomb the piss out of all the allys to prematurally detonate any booby traps, or at least render them useless? I think I'm just out of patience with that sewer and would hate losing any of our guys to these bastards when we can just roast them from space and be done with it. At that point the hardest thing left for our troops would be pissing on their ashes. The insurgents need to see hell on earth.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and damage (gulps) the Mosques? Shocked
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the AC-130 and the A-10, two of the most feared ground attack aircraft on the planet...

I bet some of those Fajullahs who were in this last main fight and the previous Gulf War are about to get some flashbacks as to exactly what it means to be in their pain when they let loose with the steel rain.
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallujah rules spelt out

November 8, 2004

IRAQ'S interim prime minister said today "terrorists" are not interested in a peaceful settlement.

He announced that emergency measures would be imposed on the insurgent strongholds of Fallujah and Ramadi beginning at 6pm (2am AEDT Tuesday).

In a press conference in Baghdad, Iyad Allawi said that Iraq's borders with Syria and Jordan will also be closed off and Baghdad's international airport would be shut down for 48 hours.

"Once again, we have seen more criminal acts committed by these terrorists who continue to use Fallujah as a base for their operations... We have no other option but to take the necessary measures to protect Iraqi people from these killers and liberate Fallujah," he said.

Early today, US and Iraqi troops began an offensive to take the city, seizing a hospital and two bridges over the Euphrates River in the first stage of a major assault on the insurgent stronghold.

Mr Allawi said that during the raid today, "Iraqi forces entered Fallujah Hospital, capturing four foreigners and killing 38 persons. We do not know whether they are Iraqis or not. They were stationed in the hospital in order to carry out terrorist actions."

Two of the foreign terrorists seized were from Morocco, he said.

Quote:

An Iraqi firefighter arrives to the scene of a burning vehicle after it came under attack by unknown gunmen in the center of the capital Baghdad, Nov. 7, 2004. Iraq's interim government declared martial law after insurgents killed 23 Iraqi policemen and set off blasts in Baghdad in a fresh show of force before a planned U.S. offensive on Falluja and Ramadi.

Quote:
Iraqi Premier Authorizes Assault On Al-Fallujah
8 november 2004 -- Iraqi interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi says he has authorized a ground offensive by U.S. and Iraqi forces on the rebel-held city of Al-Fallujah.

Allawi said at a news conference today that the offensive is aimed at rooting out terrorists and establishing the rule of law in Al-Fallujah, 60 kilometers west of Baghdad.

"We are after terrorists. We are not after anybody else, and all the Iraqi people, including people in Fallujah, they want us to go ahead and finish the terrorists and have the rule of law prevail in Fallujah, and this is what we intend to do," Allawi said.

Allawi said he has imposed a curfew on Al-Fallujah and nearby Al-Ramadi, and closed Baghdad International Airport for 48 hours. He also announced tighter controls on the borders with Jordan and Syria, saying only essential goods will be allowed through.

About 10,000 U.S. troops -- as well as some Iraqi soldiers -- have gathered outside Al-Fallujah ahead of the expected ground assault against several thousand fighters in the city. Most of Al-Fallujah's residents have fled.

NEAR FALLUJA, Iraq (Reuters) - U.S. planes and artillery fiercely bombarded Falluja and troops probed rebel defenses on Monday in a prelude to a full-scale ground offensive on Iraq's toughest insurgent bastion.

This reporter witnessed about eight air strikes within 20 minutes. Explosions from the artillery fire boomed out every minute or so as plumes of smoke rose from the city.

U.S.-led troops backed by tanks and aircraft also battled guerrillas around the Sunni Muslim city west of Baghdad, moving to forward positions ahead of an expected attack.

Al Qaeda ally Abu Musab al-Zarqawi called on Muslims to take up arms against America. "Oh people, the war has begun and the call for jihad (holy war) has been made," he said in a statement posted on a Web site often used by Islamist militants.

Zarqawi's appeal did not mention Falluja by name. The U.S. military says fighters loyal to him are holed up in the city along with Iraqi insurgents loyal to Saddam Hussein.

Guerrillas hit back in Baghdad, where a suicide bomber blew up his red Opel car near a U.S. convoy on the main airport road, killing at least three people, witnesses said.

A Reuters photographer saw U.S. soldiers taking three bodies from a white four-wheel-drive vehicle wrecked in the blast and loading them on stretchers into a military ambulance. The U.S. military had no word on casualties.

A police source said earlier that at least two Iraqis had been killed, one of them a woman. Bystanders said the white vehicle had carried officials and foreign security guards.

Iraq's interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi declared 60 days of emergency rule on Sunday to rein in an insurgency that threatens planned nationwide elections in January and said retaking Falluja could not be delayed much longer.

An AC-130 gunship struck Falluja with cannon fire and machineguns and a heavy bomb dropped in the northwest sent up a column of smoke. Smoke also billowed from a western area.

U.S. forces gathered on two sides of the city where they say 1,000 to 6,000 rebels and foreign fighters are entrenched.

Iraqi and U.S. troops seized Falluja's main hospital, blindfolding several people and kicking down doors but not firing a shot. Before the hospital's telephone lines were cut, staff said several patients and workers were detained. MASKED GUERRILLAS

Inside the city, masked guerrillas roamed empty streets with assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades. Reuters Television footage showed one man in the western Jolan district firing a grenade launcher at an unidentified target.

Men wept as they buried seven white-shrouded bodies, some of them fighters, in a narrow trench in Falluja's makeshift graveyard in a former soccer stadium, the footage showed.

Heavy fighting erupted on the city's eastern and western fringes, including near a bridge over the Euphrates river.

Witnesses in Falluja said the Americans were using amphibious vehicles to try to cross the river but were coming under heavy fire from guerrillas entrenched in the city.

"These insurgents are going to get a lot more than they bargained for," said U.S. Gunnery Sergeant Christopher Garza.

Guerrillas in other Iraqi cities and towns have stepped up attacks to show their muscle, killing at least 60 people in weekend violence that mostly targeted the security forces.

Zarqawi's group claimed responsibility for most of the assaults, including those that killed 34 people and wounded 49 in the restive city of Samarra, north of Baghdad, on Saturday.

U.S. planes bombed targets in the Jubairiya area just north of Samarra on Monday, killing one person and wounding four, police and hospital officials said.

U.S. and Iraqi forces stormed Samarra in early October to clear out insurgents in what was seen at the time as a pilot operation for larger assaults in Falluja and Ramadi, but Saturday's violence showed the city is far from pacified.

Allawi said emergency law measures could be imposed anywhere in Iraq, except for Kurdistan in the north, to ensure security before the Jan. 27 elections President Bush says will be a cornerstone in building a democratic Iraq. (Additional reporting by Fadel al-Badrani in Falluja, Sabah al-Bazee in Samarra, Omar Anwar in Baghdad and Dubai bureau)

Quote:
Who's guarding the River? I hope it's not John Kerry....

No it's Ted Kennedy offering rides accross the bridge.

Wink
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Deleted by Admin - same story as prior post)

~~~~~~~

Quote:
Can i recommend a link to those articles or at least your favorite one?

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&q=fallujah&btnG=Search+News
JB Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Updated: Monday, 8 November, 2004, 12:12 GMT
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Iraqi PM orders Falluja offensive
Image from TV of a US soldier blindfolding a man after troops entered Falluja hospital, in Iraq
Troops seized control of a hospital in the west of the city
Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi has given the go-ahead for a US-led attack on the rebel stronghold of Falluja.

Mr Allawi announced a curfew in Falluja and Ramadi from 1800 local time (1500 GMT), and said Baghdad airport and some international borders would be closed.

He was speaking as US troops advanced into the western outskirts of the city, where they came under heavy fire.

The BBC's Paul Wood in Falluja reports earth-shaking explosions and bright flashes in the vicinity.

F18 bombers have been dive-bombing the city, occasionally letting out short bursts of machine-gun fire.

Meanwhile fighters in the city fired mortars and small arms across the River Euphrates at American positions.

Click below for a satellite image of Falluja

Enlarge Image

US troops, who are massed near the city awaiting orders for an attack, took two bridges and a hospital overnight in the western part of the city.

But they have not entered deep into the city, and have repeatedly had to change position due to the insurgents' fire.

Two US marines died overnight when their bulldozer overturned in the river. Their bodies were discovered in the morning.

State of emergency

We have no option but to take necessary measures to protect the Iraqi people from these killers and to liberate Fallujans [so they can return home]
Iyad Allawi

In pictures: City under siege

Mr Allawi said he was closing Baghdad airport for 48 hours and closing the Iraqi borders with Syria and Jordan. Only essential goods would be allowed through.

"We have no option but to take necessary measures to protect the Iraqi people from these killers and to liberate Fallujans [so they can return home]," he said.

On Sunday, Mr Allawi declared a 60-day state of emergency across the country in response to the escalation of violence by militants.

The BBC's Quil Lawrence, with US forces near Falluja, said troops used night vision to seize the two bridges, which are main routes west out of the city.

One of the bridges was the site of the killing of four US contractors that sparked the first attempt to retake Falluja in April.

There is no sign yet of American ground forces entering the city centre, where street by street fighting is expected, our correspondent adds.

US planes and artillery have been battering what they call insurgent positions for the past few weeks to make entry into the city easier.

More than 60 people have died in two days of co-ordinated attacks by insurgents in an apparent response to US military preparations around Falluja.

Our correspondent says the marines believe Falluja will be their biggest engagement since Hue, the Vietnamese city they captured in 1968, losing 142 men and killing thousands of the enemy.

There are fears that insurgents will unleash suicide attacks on the troops once they have entered Falluja, our correspondent says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3992263.stm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: