SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A chance encounter -> healing connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC_Diva
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: A chance encounter -> healing connection Reply with quote

Worked 7 hours at my precinct, stayed up all night waiting for results, then went from dead tired to skyhigh upon hearing that the traitor had lost. I celebrated by running errands dressed in Bush-Cheney shirt, Pro-Life hat, elephant scarf and SwiftVet for Truth buttons! Laughing

My third stop was our local Walmart, as usual parking lot was packed and I parked way at the back (bumper stickers, large signs reflecting my election views on my van) . I noticed an old, workworn truck nearby that had a big dog guarding it (I LOVE dogs) so I went straight towards him. I only noticed the man loading supplies afterwards, he and I struck up a conversation while petting Whiskers. It went from dogs, to my buttons, to the election; chitchat at first, it lasted almost an hour.

Turns out he was here visiting his son, but he lives in the bottom corner of IL where he works cattle along with whiskers. A quiet man by nature, the type that doesn't complain, I doubt his neighbors even know he uses a cane because he is a Vietnam Vet. I know because part way into our chatting I caught a reference he made and thanked him for serving. I told him that I've donated time and money to get the truth out about Kerry - that this was my small, incompetent way of paying back a piece of what I owe him and all who served. I promised him that my children know the truth, and that they have sworn to tell their children, about the brave, honorable, good men who went to Vietnam.

I was terrified that I upset him when I saw the tears well up in his eyes, but then he covered my hand on his arm and said 'thank you'. He showed me the scars, from shrapnel and the surgeries to fix it, too many to count. He lost almost all use of one leg way back then, has used a cane ever since. Both shoulders are laced with 8-12 inch scars, and slivers of metal still bubble up across his back and chest today.

Yet he has NO Purple Hearts, didn't want one or ask for one.

We chatted, smoked a few of his camel cigs, and then parted after awhile (but I will carry a bit of him with me forever). He helped me bring this election back into focus, deepened the sweetness *and* renewed my committment.

November 2nd was a great start...Onward now!!

Still at your service Swiftees Cool

Sheila
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifull, were the cigerettes filtered?
DC_Diva
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully, yes they had filters! Wink

PS Forgot to add that he taught me that our mission is multi-tiered, we must reach:

Global - set the world history record straight
National - prevent the traitor from becoming President - CHECK
State - get MA to retire his Senate career
Local - support community groups like the VFW, Vet Hospitals
Individual - offer personal gratitude and acknowledgement one-on-one*

*several vets I have spoken to had NEVER talked about their service

One of my favorite people, Mother Teresa, when asked how she planned to save the world answered, "by serving the person in front of me now"

Blessings,
Sheila
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC_Diva:

If you got his name, it may well be possible to get that vet the medals he earned. I've seen the Army award Purple Hearts from World War II and Korea recently to vets who had gotten bypassed at the time.

I'm willing to help if I can, and I'm sure there are others here that will do the same.

His Congressman may well be willing to help, too. That's a classic "feel good/good publicity" deal for any Congressman.
rosierita
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing this story! vietnam vets have a special place in my heart & i love to hear their stories. Smile (if you can get them to tell you anything!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: