SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zogby still scrambling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Zogby still scrambling Reply with quote

Over at Zogby international there is a link that says "New York Post says: Zogby got it right".Apparently Zogby is so desperate to redeem his tattered reputation that he didn't even bother to read the NY Post article. Here's what the article says":

"All of the final polls were within the margin of error. But none of the pollsters, even those who showed Kerry ahead, went as far as Zogby International did in predicting a runaway victory for Kerry.

In a last-ditch effort for bragging rights, John Zogby called the election for Kerry at 5 p.m. before polls closed on Election Day, announcing on his Web site that the Demo- cratic nominee would win 311 electoral votes.

That call even went against Zogby's final poll, which showed Bush narrowly winning the popular vote — and left the pollster with his tail between his legs."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11042004/news/nationalnews/33357.htm
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have some respect for Zogby, but no more. He is a democrat by the way.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zogby is sounding like Baghdad Bob.
shadowy
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zogby ought to take a poll to see if he has any future in polling. I'm betting not.
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe some George Soros money made its way into the coffers of Zogby International. Congress should investigate this along with the distorted exit polls.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Zogby should be finished as a pollster. I do not necessarily mean
that all his polling is invalid, although sometimes I had the feeling that
when one poll looked to good for Bush, he found more Democrats for
his next poll. What I think was his downfall was he let his dislike of Bush
affect his statements to the media as early as the spring. He boldly
said that the race was Kerry's to lose way before there was any need
to do so and before anyone could really call the race with confidence.
A statement like that by a pollster carries a lot of weight because they
are supposed to interpret their data objectively, not with their own
personal bias. His pre-election call for Bush followed by the retraction
and reversal to a call for Kerry did not help his credibility. What he did
on election day should be the final nail in the coffin of his credibility.
As the exit poll data came in, he had to know that they did not jive
with his own polling. To come out at five p.m. calling the election as
a landslide for Kerry appears to me an obvious attempt to sway those
who had not yet voted toward going with a "winner". If Zogby does
survive as a pollster, his work will never have the respect that it
enjoyed after the 2000 election.
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Was I taken in. I actually had respect for Zogby at one time. Just proves we can all be snookered. Embarassed Embarassed
ccwebb
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: zogby Reply with quote

Zogby is a lefty. He got caught up in his hate for President Bush and it affected his polls.

He made final forecasts based on the first exit polls. Those polls were phonied up to favor Kerry and he accepted them because they said what he wanted to hear.

It is laughable to hear him say how close he had it when he predicted Kerry with 313 electoral votes, and winning Ohio and Florida.

Charlie
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow! Was I taken in. I actually had respect for Zogby at one time. Just proves we can all be snookered.

You can snooker some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time, but you cannot snooker all the people all the time

Honest Abe
difficultfish
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this yet, so forgive me it is duplicate. I believe Zogby is founder of Arab American Institute. He is definitely left leaning.

http://www.aaiusa.org/zogby/zogby_home.htm

Edit: The founder of American Arab Institute is Dr. James Zogby. John Zogby is his brother.

Other men see only a hopeless end, but the Christian rejoices in an endless hope...Gilbert Brenken
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes John Zogby's brother James in the founder of the American Arab Institute. James Zogby is an opponent of George W. Bush.

Zogby lost crediblity last spring when he called the race for John Kerry without one vote being cast.He continued to say the race was "Kerry's to lose" even though Kerry rarely lead and had no bounce after the dem convention.He's also the only pollser who had Kerry leading in Colorado even though Kerry pulled out of the state about a month ago.Zogby also "adjusted" polls showing John Thune having a large lead over Tom Daschle. He "corrected" the polls to reduce Thune's lead.He predicted Kerry would win Ohio and Florida. Kerry didn't win either state. He also predicted Virginia would "surprise", which also didn't happen. My guess is Zogby got hold of the phony exit poll data and rushed to call the race for Kerry while people were still voting in an effort to depress the GOP vote. He's been throughly discredited as a pollster.
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that exit polls should be illegal -- we are supposed to vote by secret ballot.....
Also, they have been proven for 2 elections to be misleading and possibly damaging to the process.....

The only polls on election day should be the ballots....
Geano
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Gah--o--lee...! As long as the polls are legal, Let 'em take the exit polls...LIE to 'em...!Confuses the h***out of them!

That is part of what happened, a lot of us fibbed...you'd think they'd catch on.

What are the pollsters doing, holding weapons to voter's heads to get 'em to respond?...Of course, I heard one of 'em say the other night that they count non-responders as undecided...

JUST SAY NO!

Let's just unseat Kerry the Senator, anf let 'em poll on that replacement election....
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NYT has a list of election winners and losers. John Zogby is listed as one of the losers, here's what the NYTs says:

John Zogby.

In what he described as a "bungee jump," the pollster flatly predicted in May that Mr. Kerry would win the election. He went on maintaining through the summer that the race was "Kerry's to lose." Then, even though his own election-eve poll showed Mr. Bush a point ahead, Mr. Zogby took an even bigger plunge on Election Day.

Late Tuesday afternoon he predicted that Mr. Kerry would win Florida, Ohio, Iowa and New Mexico (none of which he did) and get at least 311 votes in the Electoral College, while Mr. Bush was assured of only 213. (Mr. Zogby modestly declined to forecast the remaining 14 electoral votes).

"I did something I shouldn't have," Mr. Zogby cheerfully confessed on Thursday. "I am a better pollster than predictor."

He said that his Election Day prediction was inspired not by the faulty exit polls but mainly by his own polling among young voters and field reports of high turnout among the young.

"I don't know that anyone was hospitalized over my prediction," he said. "If there are any orphans that are out there, from the bottom of my heart I apologize. We'll try to start up a fund."
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should be toast professionally. Couldn't figure why he would let his "emotions" take control and take such a risk and call the election for Kerry.

We should NEVER forget his misleading intentions. Something you don't want in a pollster.

Him, Bill O'Reilly and others should be "marked" and remembered for their Pro - Kerry core beliefs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: