SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Van Odell on TV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbodell
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Van Odell on TV Reply with quote

First I would like to thank all of the kind comments I have read in regards to my fathers interviews over the past few days. It has been quite an experience for us all to see this process unfold first hand.

I have scoured the web and read every article I can get my hands on and have come up with some observations I would like to share.
1)The Kerry supporters on tv, radio or in print are completely hung up with the notion that because one was not on Kerry's boat they dont know what they are talking about and have no right to speak on the issue.

-->I wonder how many of these people have seen a swift boat much less pictures of the boats on the river. I wonder if they have seen just how close in proximately they boats work together...Not to mention the fact my father states he was there and had the better vantage point in the bronze star incident.

2)I have also observed in numerous articles that this is simple a 'dirty trick' or negative campaining.

-->I do not understand how informing the public that the man running for the top job in our counrty has serious character flaws, is negative campaining. It is frustrating that when a simple everyday man wants to speak up, they the media wants to silent and discredit.

While there has been some frustrating moments nothing makes me feel more proud than when I get to hear my father tell his story. This is a story I have heard for years, and it is great that he is finally able to voice this to the nation. Thanks for the support!

Here is a link to the news story aired here in houston
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou040806_cs_antikerryad.4f9c90be.html
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give your dad my best regards.

I saw his interview on Hannity & Colmes and it was obvious where Susan Estrich was going from the beginning. She used a favored tactic of interrupting when the answer was not going the way she wanted and tried to trip him up by getting him to admit they would stop the ads if Bush asked them to. This was an effort to put the Swiftvets 527 status in jeopardy.

Your dad did fine. Very Happy

Norman Fagan
AKA carpro
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB...I don't suppose it's possible to be more proud of your dad's performance...again "under fire" in quite a different, but almost as lethal arena. He was REMARKABLE on Hannity...and please tell him so for me.
When he was "accosted" by that ill-prepared Susan Estrich with nothing more than her "game face", I thought he was gonna break out and laugh in her face several times. I wish he had Laughing

BZ to Van Odell and to all his family and to ALL the Swiftees and their families that are, once again, putting it all on the line for their country. Draw sustenance from the knowledge that you are garnering the support of MILLIONS of your fellow Americans in this most difficult endeavor.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Aboard!

I heard your father on Hannity, yesterday. BZ's to him from this ex-airedale! Wink

We share your frustration with all the points that you have mentioned, as you can tell by reading through the message traffic.

But, there's an awful lot of us who are here for you and we're going to BE HERE for you - don't let it get you down.

Bring your father over and let him speak, let him read that there are so many here who respect his service back then .... and NOW!

Hang in there and don't let the turkeys get you down. Your day will come. It may take the Sept 12th demonstration, but at some point, the media is going to have to sit up and take notice and realize that this is not a BC'04 fronted Kerry smear site.

Kerry smeared himself.

He smeared himself in the blood of veterans and in the blood of the innocents slaughtered in the wake of our departure from Vietnam.

You guys hang in there - your father's story and all the Swifts' stories WILL get out there.

Hang tough!
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell your dad we support him 100%!!!! I heard your Dad on Sean Hannity and thought he did a great job! Just keep getting the interviews out and speak with the truth and all will be well. I am proud to have talked with some of you guys over the past couple months. You have done agreat honor to all us vets who served. Please give your dad my regards!! May God Bless him in this difficult time.

Theresa
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet seen or heard too many live interviews of the Swiftees but, of those that I have, I'm struck by a common characterization...a quiet confidence and assuredness that can only spring from unvarnished truth.

As Mark Twain said..."If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."
sullitms
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Van Odell on TV Reply with quote

jbodell wrote:
First I would like to thank all of the kind comments I have read in regards to my fathers interviews over the past few days. It has been quite an experience for us all to see this process unfold first hand.

I have scoured the web and read every article I can get my hands on and have come up with some observations I would like to share.
1)The Kerry supporters on tv, radio or in print are completely hung up with the notion that because one was not on Kerry's boat they dont know what they are talking about and have no right to speak on the issue.

-->I wonder how many of these people have seen a swift boat much less pictures of the boats on the river. I wonder if they have seen just how close in proximately they boats work together...Not to mention the fact my father states he was there and had the better vantage point in the bronze star incident.

2)I have also observed in numerous articles that this is simple a 'dirty trick' or negative campaining.

-->I do not understand how informing the public that the man running for the top job in our counrty has serious character flaws, is negative campaining. It is frustrating that when a simple everyday man wants to speak up, they the media wants to silent and discredit.

While there has been some frustrating moments nothing makes me feel more proud than when I get to hear my father tell his story. This is a story I have heard for years, and it is great that he is finally able to voice this to the nation. Thanks for the support!

Here is a link to the news story aired here in houston
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou040806_cs_antikerryad.4f9c90be.html

Your Dad did great. He kept his calm. I would have lost it if that chain smoking fruit kept on interrupting me.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Van Odell on TV Reply with quote

I saw Van Odell on Hannity & Colmes last night. Susan Estrich's terse, pupil-enlarged, cross examination of Mr. Odell offended me so much that I jumped up from the dinner table to fire off my first-ever angry email at Fox News. What particularly galled me was that she kept emphasizing her twisted notion that Mr. Odell, from the same service and unit as Kerry, somehow DIDN'T serve with him, but that an Army guy, Rassmann, somehow DID serve with Kerry in a way that is more believable. What frightens me about this is that, as the numbers of people in our population that have served in the military drops, fewer people out there will know enough to apply critical thinking to statements like Estrich's.

When I cooled down a bit and watched the clips on Fox News' website today, I noticed that Rassmann said that HE put Kerry in for a medal. Has anybody got any info on that?
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it a comin Mr. Odell, look out for land mines, listen for mortars and keep the radio man close. Give us a holler if you need the LZ cleared. All jokes aside, good job. We have to take the high ground and just let them rant and look stupid. We have all been trained to remain cool calm and collected when the s**t hits the fan. So camo up and get ready for battle. They have us surrounded but the good thing is they can't get away!! Kudo's Mr. Odell. Semper Fi.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Van Odell on TV Reply with quote

ArmyWife wrote:
I What particularly galled me was that she kept emphasizing her twisted notion that Mr. Odell, from the same service and unit as Kerry, somehow DIDN'T serve with him, but that an Army guy, Rassmann, somehow DID serve with Kerry in a way that is more believable. What frightens me about this is that, as the numbers of people in our population that have served in the military drops, fewer people out there will know enough to apply critical thinking to statements like Estrich's.

When I cooled down a bit and watched the clips on Fox News' website today, I noticed that Rassmann said that HE put Kerry in for a medal. Has anybody got any info on that?

I went ballistic when she asked Rassmann if he served with Kerry after her grilling of Mr Odell and Rassmann said Yes. And Hannity didn't say a damn thing. I got so angry that I began to question my own senses. That was so bizarre it was literal unbelieveable to me. Shocked Shocked You're the first confirmation I heard that actually happen. It's a relief to know I'm not imagining things. I'm getting to the age when one begins to worry about that!Confused

JB You have every right to feel pride in your father. It takes a lot of courage and determination to take the action the Swift Boat Vets have.
rds
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Van Odell on TV Reply with quote

jbodell wrote:
First I would like to thank all of the kind comments I have read
<snip>
some observations I would like to share.

Most of the population might relate to this example using the TV program "MASH". Don't you think "BJ" is qualified to talk about "Hawkeye" even though they didn't serve on the same operating table? Hopefully this example will help explain the relationship the Swift Boat Commanders and crew had to each other.

Last edited by rds on Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Reilly said he wanted some Swiftvets to come on his show, after he condemned the ad the other night. I wonder if he is ready for that?

Your Dad did real good. Many thanks to him and all the other Swifties who have come out.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Van Odell on TV Reply with quote

jbodell wrote:

The Kerry supporters on tv, radio or in print are completely hung up with
the notion that because one was not on Kerry's boat they don't know what
they are talking about and have no right to speak on the issue.

I wonder how many of these people have seen a swift boat much less
pictures of the boats on the river. I wonder if they have seen just how
close in proximately they boats work together...Not to mention the fact
my father states he was there and had the better vantage point in the
bronze star incident.

If someone trys that, point them to the following images on this forum:

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15461&highlight=#15461

And the lawyer guest on "Hannity & Estrich" {sic} Friday night did a superb
job of absolutely destroying this argument, Susan and the Dim mouthpiece

Even Hannity has found some backbone from his radio show guests and
really made some excellent points about the Democrat's lame response
to the events of the past two days.

On MSNBC Scarborogh and Buchanan had to correct Trippi and Barnacle
on the the misdirection of the Kerry campaign so far on this issue. Good
ole Pat. His best statement was "Let's see what the book has to say"

.. Right!! Be careful of what you ask for!! For surely you will receive it!! ..

Like the rest of the posters here .... this is one Swift Boat sailor that could
not be prouder of your dad. I am sure you know Bravo Zulu. It says it all.

.................................... !!! Semper Swift !!! .......................................

The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Van Odell on TV Reply with quote

jbodell wrote:

Everything one party or the other does is going to be "dirty tricks" during an election. Isn't politics grand?

Here is something that might put a smile on your fathers face:

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1713
BelleC
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your father, Mr. Odell, was awesome when interviewed on the Hannity/Colmes show! He did exceptionally well when drilled instead of interviewed by Ms. Estrich.

Please pass on to your father the thanks of so many people here. I am so sorry he has had to live through any more pain associated with his service to this country.

I am so sorry he has had to endure the foolishness of Senator Kerry twice, once when he denounced his association with the Navy and again, when he tried to embrace it!

God Speed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: