SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marine Down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Marine Down Reply with quote

The 2/24 is based in Waukegan, Il..it is our local Marine Reserve Unit. The following e-mail came this morning, from the CO. A short prayer for the family would be appreciated.

It is my most unfortunate duty to report to you that on Thursday, 25 November, 2004 the following Marine from 2/24 gave his life in service to the Nation:

PFC Ryan J. Cantafio, Co G, 2nd Bn, 24th Marines.

PFC Cantafio was the turret gunner of a HMMWV that was conducting a night
patrol along one of the Main Supply Routes in our zone. The vehicle detonated an improvised explosive device, and PFC Cantafio was struck and killed by a piece of the shrapnel. Three other members of his team were injured in the blast, two of whom were medevaced to the Combat Surgical Hospital, and one of whom will shortly be returned to duty.

On Saturday, 27 November, I attended the memorial service held for Ryan by the Marines of Co G at their FOB in Lutayfiyah, Iraq. It was a tremendously painful and sad event. Ryan was loved by his fellow Marines, and they feel his loss very deeply. Being among men that are as tough as nails, living in a situation that is even tougher, and seeing them brought to uncontrollable tears and sobbing crushes the soul. But then...but then, they speak! The eloquence of their words and the stories they share of the fallen bring you back from the abyss of despair to the pinnacle of hope. Hope that in any situation, human kindness lives. Hope that in the midst of death and
tragedy, opportunity and beauty will break with the dawn of the next day. Among these Warriors, among these men, among these Marines, fear, pain and despair are ALWAYS replaced by peace, kindness and gentle beauty.

Ryan's Company Commander Maj Adam Holton was first to eulogize him. Adam is
as smart as they come. He is a Naval Academy Grad and the "rocket scientist" that we always joke about as not being part of the military. Adam is the kind of man that just exudes grace and dignity in any situation. Adam addressed his Marines and spoke of Ryan's decision point. He spoke of the fact that early on Ryan had had a rough patch in the USMC and was facing disciplinary action as a result. Adam told his Marines that instead of taking the easy way, discharge, Ryan made the decision to recover. Ryan took the hard way. Ryan took the way of honor. And, he did so because he wanted to complete his obligation with honor and to serve his country and
his fellow Marines. Adam expressed that from the day Ryan told him about his decision, he had been a stellar Marine. He was an example of habitually doing the right thing. He, as a young PFC, set the standard of excellence for all others to emulate. For that, Adam was especially thankful for his time with Ryan.

In closing, Adam Holton said something that struck you as hard in the gut as if Evander Holyfield had just crushed you with a jab. He said that as he thought about what he would say in front of the Marines under his charge to give meaning to the death of PFC Ryan Cantafio, he decided he had shamed himself! He shamed himself in the mere thought that he had to say or do anything to give meaning to the death of PFC Ryan Cantafio. He said, because you see, the meaning of PFC Ryan Cantafio's death was in his LIFE! He was the Marine always asking to go on patrol. He was the Marine always seeking to do more. He was the Marine who never complained, who never whined, who just pressed and pressed and pressed that he could be of service
to his brothers! Now in a life lived of such service, no higher praise can be paid a man in his death. So Adam Holton, a man for whom I have immense respect, reminded us all in his contemplation, that PFC Ryan Cantafio unfortunately left us for paradise far sooner than any of us would have wanted, but he left us with not only the profound meaning of his short life, but with an example of how our own lives should be lived.

The last person to memorialize Ryan was his best friend in the Platoon, LCpl Daniel F Kryst. Now, how Daniel memorialized Ryan was so soul searing, I found myself in the uncontrolled spasms of short breath that only intense crying can cause. Daniel is an excellent Marine and a wonderful young Man. But in his youth, (21) he is typical of most young, single American males of his age, particularly Marines: full of life, desiring mostly fun and to chase American Women. Yet, what did this young Marine want to share about Ryan? This young Marine who had shared combat, strife and misery with Ryan under almost unbearable conditions? This young Marine, who one would think would speak of the "fun" times and the "challenging" times, wanted most to share what a DEVOTED and LOVING husband Ryan was to his beautiful bride
Amanda. He spoke of how Ryan NEVER missed a day that it did not begin without Ryan taking out and looking at his picture of his wife. He talked about how much Ryan LOVED and ADORED his wife, and how his dream was to return to her and raise a family. The pain of that shattered dream is intense, and for Amanda has to seem unbearable. But, in the fact that he could have had that kind of impact of a fellow Marine with the intensity of love for his wife, assures me that LCpl Kryst will one day be a magnificent husband. And he will be in no small part due to having shared his life with PFC Ryan Cantafio! The kind of love Ryan had for and shared about Amanda inspires us to continue, and exemplifies for all of us the true costs of
freedom and the Warriors and Warrior families who bear it.

Amanda, Ryan has touched us all, and I cannot even begin to express our pain and sorrow for your loss. I hope and pray you will always know how much he was loved by his fellow Marines, and that his love for you burnt so brightly that it provided a light of guidance for his fellow Marines in their lives. That is the immortality he left with us. The immortality he leaves with you is the soft breeze on a summer day, the light warmth in the chill of autumn, the peace amidst the chaos and pain. All these things he will bring you, because he will forever be with you! The kind of love Adam had for you is not broken by the sting of death, merely interrupted in time and space. May
God Hold You in the Palm of His Hand, and guide you and be your strength. And may the constant prayers for your peace from every Marine of this Battalion, and those of their families work miracles in your life.

It has been my pleasure, my privilege and my HONOR to have served with PFC
Ryan J Cantafio.

GOOD NIGHT SWEET AND GENTLE WARRIOR, GO SOFTLY INTO YOUR HEAVENLY REWARD.

Yours in deep grief and unflinching respect and admiration of you and your
beloved Marine.

Mark A. Smith

Mark A. Smith, LtCol USMCR
TF 2/24 Commanding Officer, 24 MEU
Mahmudiyah, Iraq
"Mayhem from the Heartland"
or as the terrorists call us
"The Mad Ghosts"
gocars
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace Warrior and may God bless you and your family.

gocars
101st Airborne
'Nam 67-70
U.S Army Rangers Lead the Way!
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Thanksgiving Day, while millions of Americans across this country on Thanksgiving Day were thanking God for their many blessings, this young man died. He was our blessing.

As we watched football that day and heard the sports announcers praising the skills and abilities of highly paid professional atheletes, this young man died. He displayed the same skill and ability, except coupled with courage, loyalty, and great personal honor.

As we went from one holiday party to another, his fellow Marines took the time to pay their deep respects, before rejoining the fight.

As a famous line in a war movie once said, "Where do we find such men."
My answer -- only in America. God bless them all.

Nalt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: