SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifteen years ago today, the Berlin Wall was taken down...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Fifteen years ago today, the Berlin Wall was taken down... Reply with quote

I remember President Reagan saying, "Mr. Gorbechav, tear down this wall"
I wonder what soundbite President Bush will be remembered for ?

I also remember how the Dems vilified President Reagon --- called him stupid, a cowboy, etc.....
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall very vividly the Europe before that Wall came down. President Reagan will of course ultimately be remembered for that, though he did so much more. He restored our Pride and faith in our ability as a Nation to be the best at whatever we do.
What President Bush will be remembered for remains to be seen. As with Reagan though, I imagine one "soundbite" will stand out, but he has already accomplished so much in the face of extreme diversity. He has had to deal with his legtimacy questioned before he even took Office, his character assasinated continually, the events of 9/11 and the resulting War on Terror.
In all of this he has remained steadfast and true to his morals and ideals, he has Led where others may never have been able to make the decision. He in my mind is a True Leader.
History is only what some person places in a book, not always as accurate as what actualy took place.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others, I remember when it went up too. All throughout my teens and right up into my 40s, I never thought I'd see it come down. After Vietnam, I was assigned to Germany where we flew the West German/East Germany/Czechoslovakian border on a nearly daily basis, weather permitting.

Seeing the barbed wire fence, finely raked sand on the other side along with the tank traps, all to keep them in, not us out, was a real eye opener to me. Even after Vietnam, hearing that an entire country was fenced off just didn't ring true, until I saw it.

When they started tearing down the wall I expected Soviet or East German troops to step in, as they did in Hungary back in the 50's. But, none ever did. I sat and watched on TV as they chipped away at it until they made an opening and came on through.

To me, it shows that the right has been right all along, people everywhere yearn for freedom and will take it, with a little help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: