SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Veterans Deserve Access to VA Medical Care/Insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: More Veterans Deserve Access to VA Medical Care/Insurance Reply with quote

During the election it was reported that 1.7 million veterans have no health insurance and are often denied access to VA health care because VA medical facilities often do not have the capacity to accept more veterans and thus ration care using a priority system.

I am interested in establishing an organization that will address the issue of no health insurance for veterans. I believe that Congress should appropriate more money so that a "voucher" system be established to alllow these 1.7 million veterans and others using the current system have a "choice" to accept the insurance option (similar to Medicare) and go to private health providers.

If you have an interest in helping with this effort or offering suggestions please post your response or send an email.

I believe that the SBVT mission to inform the public about John Kerry has opened up many other issues affecting veterans such as access to medical care.

JK
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the VA medical system is a disgrace.
That's government run health care for you. RATIONING!

The Congress has an excellent health care plan for themselves
and other government workers.

Our Veterans deserve the best. They have served this country
and its government far more than the Congress or anyone else.

Why can't the VA buy into the same plan that the Congress has??
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that as VN vets we have access to health care/ins.?, I thought it was only for retired lifers? Shocked
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be that only retired military and those with service-connected disabilities were entitled to treatment at VA facilities.

Clinton attempted to open up the use of VA hospitals and clinics to all veterans, regardless of how long they served or whether their afflictions were service-connected or not.

Personally, I don't think that someone like me, one tour and no SCD should ever have been allowed into the VA system - it would take resources from those who WERE wounded or otherwise inflicted with damage as a result of their service. Likewise, if I had suffered tinnitus or a 10% hearing loss as a result of my service, why should I be eligible to get free health care through the VA for gallstones or heel spurs?

But it's tough to get the genie back into the bottle and the VA has struggled valiantly with the mission with which it has been saddled. As with the rest of Clinton's military - ever-increased tasking and inadequate support - it has proven nearly impossible to keep up with the extra tasking.

Under GWB, the VA received more funding than it's ever gotten in the past - it went up 41% in his first three years.

And it could be doing exactly what it was intended to do - providing health care for the retired and for those with SCD's - and doing it magnificently, if we restricted it to those.

How many people are getting free VA care even though they never served at all, or based on some nebulous or unsubstantiated claim?

Weed out the frauds, reduce eligibility to those who are truly entitled and I think you'll see the quality of care go up exponentially.

I do hear some horror stories about VA facilities, but the overwhelming majority of people who I know of that have had dealings with the VA have been positive, especially in the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
Do you mean that as VN vets we have access to health care/ins.?, I thought it was only for retired lifers? Shocked

My husband served four years in the Army after the Vietnam War and he has access to their health care, he had a VA loan for a house bought years back, and they are assisting him to receive his SSDI for his back injury as a medic/paratrooper while he was in the Army.

Though they are riddled with paper work and their services are below par in many instances, once you get past all the paper work, they will help you.

Not the best system, and it sure needs to be restructured to offer better services, especially to Vets of the wars, but it is better than nothing at all.
shooter
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well stated 3xNavy......

The VA has improved a 1000 fold over what it was at the end of the Vienam War. Keep in mind, they means test for the deductable unless you are SCD over a certain percentage. Oh, yeah, and don't miss any appointments either!! There are too many waiting for the appointments not to be taken seriously.

For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know !!

Harley Davidson - If you have to ask, you don't understand !

Gun Control = Double tap - center mass
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understnd the VA system I guess ,b/c i assmued anyone who was honorably discharged shoud be able to use VA if needed.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
It used to be that only retired military and those with service-connected disabilities were entitled to treatment at VA facilities.

Maybe i just got lucky. Through the years I was seen a few times at the VA hospital. I am neither retired nor service-connected disabled.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being argumentative, but just received this in email from Military.com.

Quote:
Vets Give VA Top Health Care Rating – Five Years in a Row
November 5, 2004

WASHINGTON – Are you satisfied with your health care? If you’re a veteran in the Department of Veterans Affairs health care system, the answer is overwhelmingly, yes! For the fifth year in a row, the independent American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) found veterans are happier than most Americans with the health care they receive.

"It comes as no surprise to me that veterans rate their health care higher than other Americans rate their private-sector health care," said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony J. Principi. "VA's goal is to provide world-class service to America's veterans in every aspect of our mission, and the results of this rating show that we are doing just that."

The Secretary's comments came with the release of a respected independent study that showed veterans gave VA health care a rating of 91 for customer satisfaction on a 100-point scale. The rating system's creator, the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), said the results “should be considered a benchmark for (federal) agencies.”

Veterans also gave VA’s inpatient hospital services a rating of 84 and outpatient services a rating of 83, compared to private-sector patients giving their health care providers ratings of 79 and 81, respectively. VA also rated highly -- 92 -- in veteran loyalty, meaning that nearly all veterans under VA care intend to continue using VA and speak positively to others about their experiences.

Since 1994, the ACSI survey has been a national measurement of customer satisfaction with the quality of goods and services in the United States. ACSI produces indices of satisfaction for seven economic sectors, 41 industries, 200 private sector companies and two types of local government services.

VA’s strong showing came after two weeks of interviews with veterans who have used the Department’s services recently. The report was produced by the National Quality Research Center at the University of Michigan Business School, the CFI group, and the Federal Consulting Group.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/PressArtInternet.cfm?id=893

I sure hope they are right. I just enrolled myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: