SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reporter Ridicules Prime Minister Tony Blair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reporter Ridicules Prime Minister Tony Blair Reply with quote

Question posed at today's press conference. . .
Quote:
The prime minister is sometimes, perhaps unfairly, characterized in Britain as your poodle," began the questioner at a joint appearance by the two leaders Friday at the White House. "I was wondering if that's the way you may see your relationship? And perhaps, more seriously, do you feel for the -"

Does anyone know the name of the reporter that asked this demeaning question and who he/she works for? Seriously, we should not allow a slam like this from a media jerk against our best ally in the war on Iraq to go unanswered.

Nalt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know his name....but I do know he was British. I hope this helps a little.
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a complete jerk!!!! It would be a public service if his boss fired
his sorry a**!!!
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's spam the hell out of the British media and get them to fess up to who this jerk is. Lets have this "pollyboy" show his face. It's for sure he's batting for the other side.

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H-m-m-m. British reporter reporting from the US? Anyone want to take any bets he's a representative of the BBC. I believe that "poodle" line is a favorite of theirs, isn't it?
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the conference on CSPAN right now -- question should be coming up -- before they take a question -- they ask the name of reporter -- i'll let you know if I find out.
kman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. Looks like the Limeys have their own Helen Thomas Shocked . Throw em both out.

Kurt
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reporter that asked that nasty question was:

David Charter

The Times of London

What a nasty nasty question.

I guess if you want to send email it could go to :

comment@thetimes.co.uk

Last edited by peter on Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "Nasty" reporter then wrote this article after the joint press conference was over:
You'll notice he quotes the question and a small part of the answer in his "piece" but doesn't tell the viewer he was the reporter who asked the question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Lucky' President praises Blair and promises Palestinian state
David Charter from Washington

PRESIDENT BUSH vowed to do all in his power to usher in a Palestinian state within four years after committing his presidency to resolving the turmoil of the Middle East. But Mr Bush placed the onus on Palestinians to start the ball rolling.

He said that there would be no progress unless democratic leadership emerged to replace Yassir Arafat, who was buried amid chaotic scenes in Ramallah yesterday. Standing alongside Tony Blair after two hours of formal talks at the White House, the President also pledged to undertake a fence-mending trip to Europe shortly after his inauguration.

In a tribute to the Prime Minister, Mr Bush added that he felt a “lucky President” to be in office at the same time as Mr Blair, who was “the kind of person I like to deal with”.

The Middle East dominated three meetings between the two war allies that began on Thursday evening and ran for nearly five hours. But the pair, standing in the White House East Room, stopped short of announcing concrete proposals. Mr Bush was cool to the point of dismissive about the idea brought by Mr Blair of a European peace conference.

He declined to commit himself to the appointment of a US envoy to the Middle East, another signal watched for in Europe as a sign of Mr Bush’s seriousness. Mr Bush will only take such steps if they have a clear chance of success.

The President also gave little clue as to whether he was prepared to squeeze concessions from Israel. He said that the responsibility for peace rested with “the Palestinian people’s desire to build a democracy and Israel’s willingness to help them build a democracy”.

The two men, though, both said that they were willing to “do what it takes” to oversee the birth of an independent Palestinian state. Mr Bush said he believed that the death of Mr Arafat provided a great chance to bring about a Palestinian state. “I intend to use the next four years to spend the capital of the United States on such a state. I would like to see it done within four years. I think it is possible.”

But he said it was impossible for either he or Mr Blair to impose their vision from outside. Mr Bush said to Palestinians: “If you decide you do not want a free, democratic society, there is nothing we can do.”

Both men were careful not to involve themselves in the choosing a Palestinian leader, and both pledged to mobilise the international community to provide every support for elections and financial help for a new leader. Mr Bush said that the plan agreed privately between himself and Mr Blair would form the basis of a strategic solution, once the Palestinians had chosen their new leadership.

The President made his warmest overtures to Europe since the beginning of the war in Iraq, signalling an intention to rebuild relations, but also implicitly sharing the burden of resolving the Middle East question.

“We must apply the combined strength and moral purpose of Europe and America to effectively fight terror and to overcome poverty and terror and disease and despair, to advance human dignity and to advance freedom,” he said.

He also gave backing to Britain, France and Germany in their efforts to break the deadlock with Iran over its nuclear programme. Mr Bush’s visit to Europe in the new year “is to remind people that the world is better off, Europe is better off, we work together and there is a lot we can accomplish working together”.

Mr Blair was the first head of government to be invited to the White House after Mr Bush’s re-election, but he insisted that he was not there for “payback” for the help that Britain has provided in the war in Iraq. Mr Blair said: “On this concept of payback, we are not fighting the war against terrorism because we are an ally of the United States. We are an ally of the United States because we believe in fighting this war on terrorism. We share the same objectives. We share the same values.”

Mr Bush, asked if he shared some critics’ view of Mr Blair as his “poodle”, said: “He is a strong, capable man. I admire him a lot. When he tells you something, he means it. He is a big thinker. He has got a clear vision.”

There was laughter when Mr Blair advised the President: “Do not answer yes to that question.”

Peter Kilfoyle, a former Labour Defence Minister, later said that he was concerned at the evangelical tone the two leaders adopted on spreading democracy across the globe. “They see themselves as having a special visionary gift about the future of the planet and frankly most of us do not agree.”

Copyright 2004 Times Newspapers Ltd.
This service is provided on Times Newspapers' standard Terms and Conditions . Please read our Privacy Policy . To inquire about a licence to reproduce material from The Times, visit the Syndication website .

Last edited by peter on Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent this email to the paper:

To ask President Bush if Tony Blair was his “poodle” was offensive and inappropriate, I am disturbed you have a reporter who would ask such a question.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I you could see how the two LEADERS lectured the reporters about Democracy you would understand how that reporter would come up with a question like that.

His reply in defense of Blair was very impressive....I doubt you will see the full text of it in quotes in the papers...they will snip it down. The MSM remains shameful
BTW A POODLE IS A FRENCH DOG, THE IRONY IS NOT LOST, THAT IT REMAINS AN INSULT TO BE CALLED FRENCH EVEN WHEN A DOG
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Bush gave a great answer he said something like:

"Tony Blair keeps his word and many people in our profession don't."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have enormous respect for Blair, he is very bright and very loyal to America. I really hope the people of GB re-elect this man.
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some one should tell the times that the only poodle in this dog show is John F. Kerry Razz

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, now...
remember poodles were bred as hunting dogs.... and they are very loyal --- appearances can be deceiving......

And to think that the British have a reputation of being well mannered...

well, the big media just keeps showing us new lows.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: