SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBS 'Apprehensive' Over Rathergate Probe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Ann Parker
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: CBS 'Apprehensive' Over Rathergate Probe Reply with quote

FYI,
Mary Ann

Thursday, Nov. 11, 2004 11:28 p.m. EST
CBS 'Apprehensive' Over Rathergate Probe

http://www.newsmax.com/scripts/printer_friendly.pl?page=http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/11/11/233157.shtml

CBS News employees are "apprehensive" over the soon-to-be concluded internal investigation into the network's Rathergate forged document scandal, veteran CBS newsman Bob Schieffer said Thursday.

"We're all apprehensive," he told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Nobody knows what this commission is going to find." Schieffer said it was "a terrible mistake" for Rather to air military records that later turned out to be forged depicting President Bush as AWOL during his days in the National Guard.
"Look, we made a terrible mistake. CBS has admitted it made a terrible mistake, and Dan has apologized," he told the Inquirer. "We take this very seriously, and some serious steps are going to have to be taken."

Two weeks after "60 Minutes" aired the bogus records on Sept. 8, CBS appointed ex-U.S. Attorney General Dick Thornburgh and Louis Boccardi, former head of the Associated Press, to determine what went wrong.

Schieffer told the Inquirer that he's been deluged with questions about the Rathergate debacle during his tour promoting his book, "Face the Nation: My Favorite Stories From the First 50 Years of the Award-Winning News Broadcast."

"Everywhere I've gone, people want to know what we're going to do about it," he said. "I tell them we'll do what needs to be done, once we know what happened. We can't just put Band-Aids on this problem and say we've cured it

ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say keep the investigation going all the way back to 1968 when Walter Cronkite aired the "America is losing the war" after destroying the Viet Cong and greatly weakening the NVA. Maybe CBS would like to air the memoires of General Giap that says that they were going to surrender after Tet but with the Media Coverage and the actions on the streets of groups like VVAW (John Kerry) they decided to wait it out and defeat America on the streets of America.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only ever admitted the documents were a mistake, but not the story. Remember they still stand by the story and never apologized to President Bush.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Blather and Mary Mophead Mapes were working on that story for four years, must have started right after the 2000 election.
Four years of research and the found nothing on Bush, when it got close to the election they went into action, the end had to justify the means.
They are all guilty of "conspiracy to throw an election" (treason), and since it was done across state lines its a federal offence.

Four years wasted on a Bush AWOL theory.
Zero minutes spent on the proven true 260 Swit Vets story.

Biased! Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am not holding out hope that this "investigation" will produce anything of value, the whole thing will be swept under the rug. However, the verdict is already in, more Americans have gotten wise to the Corrupt Old Media's lies/bias/spin and their formal monopoly is gone never to return like carbon paper or buggy whips! Twisted Evil
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA480150
CBS Axes Producer for Arafat Cut-In
By Allison Romano -- Broadcasting & Cable, 11/12/2004 2:55:00 PM

CBS News has axed a news producer who cut into prime-time programming Wednesday night to report the death of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.
The staffer, a female senior producer for CBS’s overnight newscast Up to the Minute, broke in to CSI: N.Y. shortly before 11 p.m. with the report, outraging viewers who missed the end of the crime drama.
CBS apologized for the interruption Thursday, saying an “overly aggressive” staffer “jumped the gun on a report that should have been offered to local stations for their late news.”
As for the producer’s dismissal, a CBS spokesperson said Friday, “We do not comment on personnel issues.” CBS planned to repeat the CSI: N.Y. episode Friday night to placate viewers.

An executive at a rival broadcast network said the whole situation left them puzzled. “I think people here were scratching their heads over the decision to break in, and then scratching it even harder over the apology for breaking in,” the exec says. “And now we’re wondering what kind of process they have in place to take the network to a special report.”
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been able to follow this story as closely as I would have liked so please add or correct my recollections.

This was a 60 Minutes 2 hit piece on Pres. Bush`s national guard service record and the principals involved were Josh Howard, executive producer, Mary Mapes, producer, and Dan Rather, reporter.

They used forged and fake documents given to them by a long time Bush antagonist.

They ignored the advice of their own document experts about the documents authenticity.

Max Cleland and Joe Lockhart of the Kerry campaign were involved in this possible conspiracy.

Leslie Moonvies, CEO of CBS named Dick Thornburg and Louis Baccardi to do an internal investigation which is now ongoing.

Am I up to date? What if this investigation concludes that this is just a case of sloppy journalism and a slap on the wrist to all would be the appropriate punishment? What should our response be?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noc wrote:
They only ever admitted the documents were a mistake, but not the story. Remember they still stand by the story and never apologized to President Bush.

This is so outrageous. Mad
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sick of hearing 'Dan Rather Apologized'. It took almost 2 weeks for Dan to come out and make a phoney apology after he was found out to be a fraud. He tried to influence an election with false documents and a truly discredited story and CBS has continued to allow him on the air. If he were reporting this about some other country it would be called a coup to overthrow a ligitamate governent. An apology will never be enough. Blather, Mapes and all involved should be tried and spend the rest of their lives in prison as enemies of this country.
I have heard some comments on shows about 527 groups and the damage they have done, and the need to change the laws to not allow them. We who have followed this site know the swifties helped greatly in Kerry's defeat. If we allow 527's to be silenced we will get our information once again from the media powers. We can never let this happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: