SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCain/Feingold Win Lott's Support for Campaign Law

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: McCain/Feingold Win Lott's Support for Campaign Law Reply with quote

SVPT effectiveness in 2004 continues to reverberate in the campaign finance reform controversy. I think we can anticipate a firestorm of opposition from the left given the amount of money they managed to raise under 527 rules.

Quote:
McCain, Feingold Win Lott's Support for Campaign Law (Update1)
Bloomberg.com

Feb. 2 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. Senators John McCain and Russ Feingold won over a former opponent on campaign finance regulation, Senator Trent Lott, who is joining them in a proposal to restrict donations to political groups like Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and MoveOn.org.

The senators are introducing a bill that would cut off the unlimited donations collected by organizations formed under a section of U.S. tax law. The so-called 527 committees took in $414 million last year as individuals and business and labor groups vied to influence the election battle between President George W. Bush and Senator John Kerry, a Massachusetts Democrat.

The 527 committees allowed donors to bypass the 2002 campaign finance law, championed by McCain, an Arizona Republican, and Feingold, a Wisconsin Democrat, that limited donations to the national political parties.

``New money has shown up under the cover of these 527s,'' Lott, who voted against the McCain-Feingold law, said today at a news conference at the Capitol in Washington. ``I see a lot of shadows in these 527s. I am very concerned about what it's going to do to politics in America.''

The Swift Boat group caused a furor in August when it ran advertisements questioning Kerry's Vietnam War service record. Before that, Bush faced attacks from Democratic groups such as MoveOn.org, funded by billionaire investor George Soros. Bush on Aug. 23 called for a ban on all ads from the 527 organizations.

Spokesmen for the two organizations didn't immediately return calls for comment today.

Bloomberg
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If John Kerry runs for President in 2008 the laws will be in place that will prevent the SwiftVets from doing what they did this election. This legislation by Senator McCain makes it imperative that John Kerry is not reelected to his MA Senate seat in 2006.

Also no Veteran should forget the harm done to them by Senator John McCain.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Campbell wrote:
If John Kerry runs for President in 2008 the laws will be in place that will prevent the SwiftVets from doing what they did this election. This legislation by Senator McCain makes it imperative that John Kerry is not reelected to his MA Senate seat in 2006.

Also no Veteran should forget the harm done to them by Senator John McCain.

There will always be a loophole. These guys will never cut off their bread and butter.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McCain, sheesh. We all were taken in by him and now he must be in trouble. First he obfuscated his position on immigration by championing steroid legislation for major league sports. Remember that? What's he doing in that area? Now, he champions campaign finance reform, AGAIN, and again it's probably to obfuscate his position on illegal aliens. Plain and simple, losing the nomination and grooming by Terry's Poodle have turned him into a progressive. He's been silent on AZ's Prop 200, silent on the Mexican comic book and silent on comments by that cheesy punk from Mexico, Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez (Click Here). He's forced to obfuscate or the AZ voters will throw him out like the rest of the rascals will be soon.

Oh, and the last time I checked, Terry's Poodle's up for MA Senator in 2008, simultaneous with his run for POTUS. My God, what an ugly thought.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another editor who doesn't comprehend that it was the SVPT 527 contributions and campaign that tore back the curtain of KerryFraud and saved this country from a nightmare presidency.

Who the hell cares if millions of $oro$ bucks and the like got "redistributed" in their losing cause. It was good for the economy and the American voter got a badly needed education. "Sewer money" indeed. Take a hike Trent et al. (emphasis mine)

Quote:
Reform Gains A Supporter
Editorial
The Ledger
Lakeland, FL
February 5, 2005

From the Politics/Strange Bedfellows Dept.: Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., chairman of the powerful Senate Rules Committee, was hand shaking and backslapping with Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Rep. Christopher Shays, R-Conn., two of the major sponsors of campaign-reform legislation that Lott voted against in 2002.

"I'm not in my natural habitat with this group," Lott said as he stood among McCain, Shays, Rep. Martin Meehan, D-Mass and Sen. Charles Schumer, R-N.Y.

Lott said he'd decided to join them because loopholes in the reform law need to be closed. He said that six- and seven-figure checks funneled through independent political action groups (known as 527s because of the section of tax code creating them) were nothing more than "sewer money . . . It's been used by both sides and it's going to be abused by both sides."

It would not have been so during last year's presidential election if the Federal Elections Commission had done its job last year and ruled that 527s should be regulated under campaign-finance-reform laws.

Lott was critical of the FEC in mid-2004, saying during a Senate hearing: "The FEC had a prime opportunity to deal with the 527 issue a couple of months ago and the agency simply punted." McCain, who testified during the hearing, said the FEC "is a failed agency. It has failed in its principal mission -- to interpret the campaign-finance laws correctly and to enforce the laws effectively."

The 527s that Lott spoke of included MoveOn.org and the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which had scores of misleading ads. "This issue, if we don't address it, is going to be a huge political calamity in America," Lott said.

The Center for Public Integrity reported that Swift Boat Veterans for Truth spent $22.4 million on ads against Democratic nominee John Kerry. MoveOn.org, which ran ads against President George W. Bush, spent $21.2 million.

The Ledger Online - cont'd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: