SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help the troops at Walter Reed- take them out to dinner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhD candidate
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: help the troops at Walter Reed- take them out to dinner Reply with quote

JINSA
note: URL converted to hypertext

Veterans Day & Fran O’Brien’s Steakhouse

Readers know what we believe about draining the swamp in which terrorists and their state sponsors live, train and pray for the day they can kill more of us. We also believe we have a special obligation to the soldiers who do the draining. More than 1,100 of our finest young men and women did not return alive from Afghanistan and Iraq; many more returned less than whole. We can do little for the former except be eternally grateful, but let us tell you what we, and you, can do for some of those who have returned in need.

Every Friday is Veterans Day at Fran O’Brien’s Stadium Steakhouse in Washington, D.C. The owners, Hal Koster and Marty O’Brien, bring soldiers recovering from their wounds at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and Bethesda Naval Hospital to the restaurant and treat them and their families to a full-up steak dinner. It is often the first place soldiers appear in public after losing limbs and it is a coveted part of their therapy. Dinner is private, with only few special guests, mainly people from the VA who can be helpful - and, on occasion, JINSA.

The restaurateurs thought the numbers would be reduced over time and the dinners could be phased out. It didn’t happen and the group got larger and more expensive as more soldiers learned about Hal and Marty’s generosity. Eventually, it was hard for them to afford, but they were determined not to let the soldiers down. Enter JINSA. Apprised of the situation, Dr. Stephen Bryen, President of Finmeccanica, Inc. and a member of JINSA’s Board of Advisors, worked with JINSA to have defense contractors support the dinners. Many did - Finmeccanica first, then Rolls Royce, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, AgustaWestland, Cubic, Remington and others including Goldman Sachs and private individuals, generously provided enough money to run the program for a year. JINSA handles the logistics.

We’re going back for more, but this is an opportunity for you to mark Veterans Day in a way that touches our veterans directly. Send us a check or go to our website and make a contribution by credit card - by going to the Support JINSA section of the JINSA web site. Then select “Support JINSA’s Programs” and use the pull-down menu to select either one of the pre-set contributions, or choose "Other -->" and type in your own amount. Follow the directions, putting “Fran O’Brien’s” in the “Organization” field.

The mailing address for checks is JINSA, 1779 Mass. Ave., NW, Suite 515, Washington, DC 20036. Put “Fran O’Brien’s” in the memo space. and your entire gift will go to the program. You will be aiding directly in the rehabilitation of young men and women who have laid it all on the line for us.

Col. Jonathan Jaffin, Commander of the Medical Corps at Walter Reed, wrote to JINSA:

If you doubt the impact of your magnanimity, from my perspective, the benefit on these soldiers and their families is incalculable... While the steak dinner is in itself a treat for those who have been eating in a dining facility... the meal is so much more than a dinner: it is a night out, a chance to get away from the hospital environment for a few hours, an evening to do something as normal as going to a restaurant for dinner. Even more, it is a tangible demonstration of the support, respect, and even love that Americans feel for our troops. I have heard from many, many of the grateful participants who were, without exception, touched and deeply appreciative. They may not know who supports the costs but I now do and must tell you how much it has meant.

So, fly your flag on Veterans Day and thank a vet. And help take a soldier to Fran O’Brien’s for dinner.

http://www.jinsa.org/member/member.html
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uplifting story Phd...thanks! Wink
PhD candidate
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Uplifting story Phd...thanks! Wink

no problem. I also saw a story (on a lefty site, no less) where they were urging people to send phone cards to walter reed, since they don't pay for long distance.

Send phone cards of any amount to:

Medical Family Assistance Center
Walter Reed Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue, NW
Building 2, Third Floor, Room 3E01
Washington, DC 20307-5001

I called the Walter Reed Medical Center Family Assistance Center this morning to find out if there was anything else they needed. The very nice Staff Sergeant confirmed that the soldiers do indeed need phone cards and advised that just last month, the patients went through 55,000 minutes of phone card time last month!!

I asked if they needed anything else. He said they have plenty of stuff like sweat suits and sundries, and that what they could really use for the wounded patients in addition to phone cards are breakaway pants and small pillows (he described them as polystyrene filled pillows in elastic type covers, which the patients, particularly the amputees, find helpful for comfort).

He didn't say so, but I bet the wounded could really use cards, letters and holiday greetings. I told him we wanted to help in a way that directly helps the soldiers (rather than going through the Red Cross or some third party org) and he assured me that would be the case.
CaptnJack
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info-- I'll send both and spread the word.
firstsgtmike
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come?

How come I never saw a website which asked for support of the draft dodgers who fled to Canada?

How come I never saw a website in which a parent bragged about their conscientious objector son?

How come I've never read from someone bragging about appearing for his induction physical in high heels, panty hose, and a garter belt?

Where are they hiding now?

Since John Kerry lost the election, we'll never know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: