SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Past vs. Present

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhale356
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Past vs. Present Reply with quote

Today's headline: The U.S. military is investigating the killing of a wounded and apparently unarmed Iraqi prisoner inside a mosque during combat operations here, the Defense Department told NBC News on Monday.

1970's headline: War Hero Kerry kills unarmed, wounded Vietnamese.

Depends on your perspective.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when he became a "prisoner?" Last I heard, he was a terrorist sniper who had been shooting at our troops earlier.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is that everyone's going to be real leary about
the "imbedded" newsmen with the troops, especially in a combat
situation. The opportunity to say "Hi Mom!" on national news is
going to be tempered with self preservation. Unsecured wounded
enemy are not "prisoners"...yet.
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent emails already to the media and friends across America. John Kerry got a medal for killing a fleeing NVietnamese, sits in the Senate and has run for President. Is this young marine not elite enough? Is he just someone's son, brother, husband from the heartland? Is he not backed by Kennedy for political agenda? He should not be prosecuted. Let the military investigate according to the rules but the media needs to stand down and stay off this. They have shown America how biased they are and we are sick of their Left mentality. They have vilified our President, our troops, and us and now they will go after this young marine. I am sick of it. Such is the legacy of Kerry.

Let's use our power and email all you know and the media as to these issues and the facts of Kerry and this marine. This is just starting and they need to know we are here, we are watching and we will make noise.
Email and make calls. Let's get this going folks. Later. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
Wescoot2
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering why, if the cameraman, and the reporter thought that a crime was committed, why they released the video to all news outlets instead of just turning it over to the military for them to investigate. Seems as if the reporter wants to make a name for himself, instead of doing the right thing IMO>

For those that may question why the soldier acted like he did, let me take you back about 36 years ago when this young soldier was back in the Nam, clearing a tunnel.....

After having received heavy enemy fire, and returning it, we stumble upon a tunnel, and I went down to clear it. After entering the tunnel, it was obvious by the smell that I had run across many dead enemy. Now for those of you that have watched many movies, you have seen soldiers walking up to the dead, kicking them over to insure that they were. In fact, we never did that, because our enemy would sometimes booby trap the bodies, normally with hand grenades......after pulling the pin they would place the gernade under the body. If we were foolish enough to kick over a body, well, the dead would come back to haunt us...

Well in this case, I did what was SOP, insure that the enemy was dead, search the bodies for any intelligence which they may have, and continue on. Well, after searching a few bodies, and deciding that none of them had any intelligence, I continued on my way thru the tunnel, making the mistake of not searching them all. I proceeded down the tunnel about 20 ft. when I head a sound, spun around, only to see what I considered to be a dead Viet cong, in a sitting position, with a French carbine pointed at my chest. I seen the trigger pull, and heard the wonderful sound of a firing pin slamming forward, and a click instead of a bang. Glad that his rifle malfunctioned.

So what have I learned......a dead soldier, still can kill......as well as a wounded soldier......I can't say if that Marine did, or did not do the right thing..........and neither can that reporter even though he was there on the spot.

Its one thing to be on the sidelines making judgement calls, but another if suddenly you find a weapon pointed at you.......

No Mission To Difficult...No Sacrifice To Great...

DUTY FIRST
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator note: Duplicate Topic, please copy your comments to the ongoing discussion at the following link.

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17330

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: