SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

upholding the integrity we had set...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depotoo
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: upholding the integrity we had set... Reply with quote

this to me is just as important as keeping Kerry from being elected.
certain legislation is created to help with the integrity of those that serve us and we cannot let this happen. please, please contact your reps and let them know this cannot happen. it just opens up a hole for more corruption to enter our government. we must let them know how we feel now!!!! you can find your reps at this link and e-mail, call and write them now! http://www.vote-smart.org/bio.php?can_id=CNIP9043
also, please contact your friends and post on your blogs and discusssion boards --

Dear so & so,

Please contact your constituents regarding the following matter.

I would like to express my extreme displeasure in recent actions by our Republican representatives regarding:

"House Republicans proposed changing their rules last night to allow members indicted by state grand juries to remain in a leadership post, a move that would benefit Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) in case he is charged by a Texas grand jury that has indicted three of his political associates, according to GOP leaders."

I frequent many discussion groups and of recent discussion has been this proposed change. Tell me how can we possibly have a case to show the integrity of our government representatives with this consideration being on the forefront?

Representative of what I have been hearing is posted below:

"Didn't the Republicans adopt the indictment rule back in 1993 as a response to what they claimed were "ethical lapses" of the Democrats?

Something about insisting they were going to hold themselves to a "higher standard" than Democrats?"

With this proposal, I feel the integrity of our elected Representatives will be lowered.

You, as my representative, have always been one to uphold the higher standards of the -------- party. If you and your constituents don't hold yourselves to these higher standards, then I feel we have failed.

Please think twice before allowing this to happen and also let it be known to other representatives that we must uphold the side of honesty and integrity, or they have failed miserably for all Americans.

Sincerely,"
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can understand your desire to hold the higher ground, this issue is a state issue and DeLay has been "under threat" of indictment for over a year. It stems from a witch hunt after he helped the Texas delegation get redistricting passed. He had the federal government help track down the state democrats who had fled the state to avoid their duties in an effort to subvert the redistricting in the state of Texas.
depotoo
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand- but 2 wrongs do not make a right. by doing this, they are only adding insult to injury. we must not play into their hands. think of how this would be looked upon. integrity is too important - whether he is found guilty or not, we must do what is right. this is not the way to fight back.
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that this change of the Republican rules is a lowering of ethical standards to match that which the Democrats have in place for their members, and ordinarily I would oppose it, but in this case there are extenuating circumstances. According to Michael Barone on Fox News today, Travis County prosecuter Ronnie Earl, a partisan Texas Democrat who has done some really rotten political prosecuting including prosecution on baseless charges against Republican Senator Hutchenson when she was treasurer of Texas...that was a miserable case, he dropped the charges in open court...other cases involving false evidence where he had to eventually drop the charges... so this prosecuter has a history anti-Republican indictments. So under these circumstances I agree with the need to protect the Congressman's job, at least until guilt can be proven in court, if it should come to that.
depotoo
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then it seems to me we should also petition this judge or start a campaign of lettering writing to him (the judge) and his constituents as well. we have to play this right or else we are setting ourselves up for a fall, i'm afraid. we, have got to start speaking out for what is right and speaking out for what is wrong. this si what has allowed corruption to continue to invade our government, because, we the people, have not been willing to speak out and to speak until we are heard. with the internet now, i feel it can be done. we have larger audiences to be able to fight the injustices if we all would just be willing to take some time to do it. i'm tired of this lapsidaisical (sp?) attitude myself and others have taken, thus letting things like this happen and then getting out of control. isn't there anyone willing to speak out on both of these issues - let's make our voices heard!
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding of the change that it is only to allow time for the charges to actually be brought to court - an actual indictment not just a threat of one. And to wait until there is a finding in a court of law before assuming one is guilty before removing a person from his post. This seems logical to me considering we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty (aren't we).
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Mr. Delay should remain in his post until an indictment is brought and the charges proven in a court of law. Which, given the history of these sorts of things, is extremely unlikely to ever happen.
To my mind, this is just another Democratic snake attack. It doesn't shake my confidence in Mr. Delay one bit.

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with keeping to the very high ground, is that the Dems know how to dig out and weaken the supports...

Look at what happened to Ryan in Ill -- His divorce was sealed, his ex-wife wanted it left sealed... BUT someone made it a big deal -- and he resigned his candidacy.... so, Ill RNC got stuck running Keyes..... because of the 'high moral tone' of the RNC they lost a good candidate because of unproven allegations in a SEALED divorce proceeding....

I firmly believe that if these rules were not changed, a similar fate could happen in this case... There is a high road, and there is a narrow cliff path.... beware the later....
PhD candidate
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveL wrote:
I would agree that this change of the Republican rules is a lowering of ethical standards to match that which the Democrats have in place for their members, and ordinarily I would oppose it, but in this case there are extenuating circumstances. According to Michael Barone on Fox News today, Travis County prosecuter Ronnie Earl, a partisan Texas Democrat who has done some really rotten political prosecuting including prosecution on baseless charges against Republican Senator Hutchenson when she was treasurer of Texas...that was a miserable case, he dropped the charges in open court...other cases involving false evidence where he had to eventually drop the charges... so this prosecuter has a history anti-Republican indictments. So under these circumstances I agree with the need to protect the Congressman's job, at least until guilt can be proven in court, if it should come to that.

I don't know the specifics on the cases he has prosecuted, but I do wonder about how partisan he is...

Ronnie Earle has spent the last 27 years keeping the state's public officials in line, at the helm of the county's Public Integrity Unit.

His most recent effort - investigating the Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee - has earned Earle, a Democrat, flack from Republicans, who try to paint him as an overzealous partisan with a ravenous hunger for GOP blood.

Earle's record paints a different picture.

Since 1977 he's investigated 15 elected officials - 11 Democrats and four Republicans. Even after Republicans solidified their control in Texas politics in 1993, Earle's ratio still lead against the Democrats 3-to-2.

The political animosity toward Earle only shows he's doing his job properly. He has served as a watchdog against corruption for nearly 30 years and deserves yet another term.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2004/10/22/Opinion/Viewpoint.Election.2004.Endorsements-777436.shtml

I do think that the idea of changing the rules is not a good one. there are plenty of people that can be the speaker. after this last election, there are even more to choose from.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on the Daily Texan article, The Daily Texan is the newspaper for the University of Texas at Austin. As much as I love my alma mater, it is a liberal school with liberal viewpoints as most state universities are.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie Earl has only very recently had several big-name cases summarily dismissed for contrived evidence and obvious partisan politics. He has a very checquered "success" list.

The Democratic Party has no rule of its own to prevent its own members from serving while under indictment (which, one often forgets, means just accused of a wrong-doing, not covicted of it). One of the reasons that the Democartic Party has plotted this strategy on DeLay was because the Republican Party did have such a rule - i.e., they saw it as a unique weakness.

It's all just dirty politics, as usual.
depotoo
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anker- i can see your point - the way it was explained to me was he had to step down if convicted. it is such a fine line here - under these circumstances, i side with you on your thinking, now. But what if he or another member had been charged with murder or rape - then, would we still want them to represent us until then? this is a tough one for sure. thanks for cluing me in.
i truly do believe in the innocent until proven guilty, but where do we draw that so very fine line?
i am just getting so tired of the corruption i am finding within our system. it just really gets me.
PhD candidate
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
Ronnie Earl has only very recently had several big-name cases summarily dismissed for contrived evidence and obvious partisan politics. He has a very checquered "success" list.

The Democratic Party has no rule of its own to prevent its own members from serving while under indictment (which, one often forgets, means just accused of a wrong-doing, not covicted of it). One of the reasons that the Democartic Party has plotted this strategy on DeLay was because the Republican Party did have such a rule - i.e., they saw it as a unique weakness.

It's all just dirty politics, as usual.

I found very little about this Ronnie Earl fellow on the net. I mostly noticed the numer cited in the short piece I posted regarding the party affiliation of who he has investigated. it certainly raised the question of him being stringly partisan. if so, why would he have investigated 11 dems to just 4 repups?

that was my only point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: