SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garrison Keillor says Born Again Christians shouldn't vote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Garrison Keillor says Born Again Christians shouldn't vote Reply with quote

[url] http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41462[/url]

Quote:
According to a transcript of the show, Keillor said, "I am now the chairman of a national campaign to pass a constitutional amendment to take the right to vote away from born-again Christians. [enthusiastic audience applause] Just a little project of mine. My feeling is that born-again people are citizens of heaven, that is where there citizenship is, [laughter] is in heaven, it's not here among us in America. ..."

It was of course 'humor' ... but its just plain rude....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee I guess he forgot that our forefathers who wrote our Constitution and our first President, George Washington, were born again Christians.
Wink
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to a transcript of the show, Navy_Navy_Navy said, "I am now the chairman of a national campaign to pass a constitutional amendment to take the right to vote away from elitist, leftist, has-been hack writers and pretentious academics. [enthusiastic audience applause] Just a little project of mine. My feeling is that such hacks and ivory-tower inhabitants are akin to the denizens of hell - that is where their citizenship is, [laughter] it's not here among us in America. ..."

GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!!!

Smile
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although GK is on NPR, I wonder how much of his audience are NOT libs... but in fact are born again....

That would be a hoot, if he insulted his own audience...

I find his "down home" humor usually pretty entertaining...
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO NAVY Laughing

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think too many of his audience are evangelicals, actually, especially once they realise the way he leans.

And if they are and hear of his remarks, then he certainly would lose some of his audience. He certainly lacks understanding of Christianity if he thinks it isn't a Christian's duty to "render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's and unto God that which is God's".

Maria
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, most people associate the born again Christians with the TV evanglists ... their mistake. Most people who complain about the religious right don't even know people who fall into these categories.

Being a "born again", I feel tremendous sorrow for those who elect to forgo a meaningful relationship with God. I feel this sorrow the same way I can empathize with those who suffer from any of the afflictions I have suffered in the past. You know these people are hurting inside and missing out on a significant amount of joy in their lives.
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Keillor thinks Christians shouldn't vote?

Well, Christians think Keillor shouldn't talk out of his a$$.

There.....all even. Rolling Eyes
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys like Garrison Keillor shouldn't be speaking for Americans period.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, GK's idiotic comments are not covered by the media. Now imagine if a Republican leaning commentator or "humorist" had suggested, "blacks and minorities on welfare shouldn't be allowed to vote". Can you even IMAGINE the FIRESTORM that would cause? Once again, liberal hypocrisy is on display. Twisted Evil
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the atheistic mind to be so alien to my life and way of thinking that it is as if it is a thing not human but machine. I think that the atheist cannot possess much of what could be called an enquireing mind. How else would you explain the selective blindness that he seems to employ in his continuous disavowal of something that is constantly before him? He seems to fear that which is beyond the limits of his perceptions and in order to cope with that fear he has to deny even the possibility of its existence. The atheist is in my mind an object of pity rather than something to be feared.
"THAT" which men call God is a constant part of the process of my life.
I cannot concieve of a life without it. I need no proofs to tell me that I exist. And yet that simple fact brings me to wonder about the " how " and "why" of my existence. I cannot concieve that I am the result of some fortunate "accident" of probabilities. The odds of that being the case are impossible to calculate.
So what am I left with in the end of things except to draw the conclussion that there is a God. And if that is the case, then "WHAT" does that mean in my life?
To be "BORN AGAIN" means simply that quite suddenly the light of recognition has come on in the mind. If "cognition" be the first experience
then recognition must be the confirmation of that first experience in the mind of the beholder. In my thinking, nothing could be simpler. So what is all the babble about?
Prehaps the "Liberals" would prefer that all men be equally blind, deaf and dumb. That way at least they could be as easily ruled as is the machine. All you have to do is to "Program" them to act and they will always act according to their programming.. Just like a machine. Wouldn't that be convenient? Confused

scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should deny the right to vote to those who move to scandinavia as GK did.
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love it when these elitists think they are getting away with something. Have you looked at the faces of the democrat Senators on C Span now. They look like they have swollowed the mouse. They do not know what to do with all the attackes in the media against the 85% of the American People that howl moral beliefs. What the figures show is that not all Christians voted for Bush. Maybe though when these liberals are running for re election in two years those figures will change.
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the numbers don't show me is what kind of a "Christian" would vote for John Kerry. Only someone who is brainwashed beyond any possibility of recognition could ever concieve of doing such a thing. Of course prehaps they do not recognize that they are being brainwashed. The public education mavens will probably laud this as an example of the effectiveness of the public education system. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: