SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBS Affliate Trashing Our Military

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: CBS Affliate Trashing Our Military Reply with quote

When I was trying to listen to Rush Limbaugh on my local radio station, I heard an advertisement about one of the news stories they plan to feature tonight: allegedly a child molester who had reenlisted in the Marines. The blurb was something like...Why is our military protecting PEDOPHILE SOLDIERS? Apparently, some alleged child molester was allowed to re-enlist. I'll watch the news tonight to see what the deal is. Any in the Houston area please watch also.

The address for this site is www.khou.com. You have to register to be able to see their stories, though.

Maria
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found the following article on this website. At first glance, it would seem that the media has discovered the truth about some of these alleged Vietnam vets. But, if you read the story closely...

Up Close: Hero soldiers who never existed?
10:00 PM CST on Wednesday, November 17, 2004
By Dan Lauck / 11 News
All active duty U.S. troops are due medical benefits for life. So why did the government turn its back on a man who said he was in Vietnam?
Charlie Hicks had lapsed into a coma the day before 11 News went to meet with him. The brain tumors, the lung cancer and the pneumonia had seized control. The end was near.

Now, Charlie's story is his friend Dan Lowry's to tell.
"Charlie had always told me he was in the 101 Airborne and Special Forces. That he went from Fort Bragg to Vietnam," Lowry said.
So when Charlie Hicks got sick last month, Lowry took him straight to the V.A. Medical Center. They just didn't stay long.
"They said he had no benefits," Lowry said.
Sure enough, when they received Hicks' Form DD214, it showed he had never left the country.
His foreign service read, zero years, zero months, zero days.
"I felt betrayed," Lowry confessed.
But their odyssey had just begun.
"I do hear the stories. You know, like 'I was trained by the U.S. military in hand-to-hand combat' or something," said Don Hall.
Hall is a trained skeptic, having spent most his life on the street. He has heard a million stories, a few just like Charlie's, and now wonders if some were true.
"There's always a part that wonders, cause I don't know how many people trust the government," Hall continued.
They were times of protest, the days of L.B.J. and body counts, when trust was short and credibility gapped a time when things were never quite as they seemed. And so it was with Vietnam.
It was a guerrilla war, fought against a shapeless enemy, capable of disappearing into the shadows.
When chased, the Viet Cong would jump the border into Cambodia or Laos, where, officially, American troops could not go. But they did.
Charles Hamilton, a military intelligence officer in Vietnam, said U.S. Special Forces were operating in Cambodia in the south and Laos in the north.
"I can't prove any of this, but it was common knowledge," said Hamilton. "This was his base camp in the northeastern corner of Laos."
Just before Charlie Hicks died, he drew a map for Lowry, telling him about their forays into southern China.
"He underlined China and checked it," said Hamilton. "He said this was an area we claimed we never were."
Hicks' DD214 does show he was Airborne qualified and had trained with the 7th Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. But the records say he was then returned to the Reserves.
When asked what the chances were that the military would put someone through Special Forces training and then send them back, Hamilton responded, "Almost nil. They're going to put him to work. This is a sanitized DD214, in my opinion."
The mystery surrounding Charlie Hicks' military records doesn't end there. At the records center in St. Louis, they can't locate his Form 20 and haven't come up with his personnel records, which should show everywhere Charlie Hicks was posted and every order he received.
Instead, there is just one record, which says he was never on active duty.
Tell that to Danny Van Every.
"I got to know Charlie Hicks fairly well," Van Every said.
The two of them, said Van Every, spent the better part of 1969 together, with the 24th Infantry Division at Fort Riley, Kansas. Van Every said he and Hicks were in the 24th at the same time, which he said was an active unit at that time. He also said that it was in "no way possible" that Hicks was in the Reserves then.
"It really makes you wonder," said Van Every.
Dan Lowry did what he could to give Charlie Hicks a proper farewell, and his family a time to mourn.
But Hicks didn't get the burial he wanted. And if his story was fact, not fiction, it was one he was due. It seems only proper that he would at last lie among soldiers, his name in stone, with the sound of gunfire a distant echo.
In the course of research 11 News found three other Vietnam Veterans who claimed to have served in U.S. Special Forces and had their records wiped clean.
All three chose not to speak on camera.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a transcript of the video.

Is military protecting known pedophiles?
11:44 AM CST on Friday, November 19, 2004
By Mark Greenblatt / 11 News
It sounds incredible that the United States military could be protecting child molesters from justice, but that's just what the 11 News Defenders have found -- officers putting children at risk by defending dishonor.
For 12-year-old Victor, it was a beautiful Christmas. There were friends, family and morning presents.
But soon this Lake Jackson boy would reveal a painful secret, a parent's worst nightmare.
"He was just a real sweet happy little kid," said Victor's mother. That's how his mother remembers Victor when he was 6 years old.
But that soon changed when the family went to a nearby airfield to see model airplanes.
There, Victor met a 17-year-old family friend, Jason Hurt.
"He started talking all this weird stuff," Victor said.
Older now, Victor remembers. "And he's like, 'Come around back here,' so I went around back to a portable toilet. And that's when all the sexual abuse started happening. He just basically touched me, you know."
But eventually, Victor did cry out.
"That was my baby," said Mary.
But when the local police went looking for Hurt, they got a surprise.
"He was actually in the Navy," said his mother.
So they contacted Naval investigators who got the confession from Jason Truman Hurt, admitting he had fondled and had oral sex with the little boy on multiple occasions.
Victor's family was relieved. "I thought great, we got him," Victor's father said. "I thought it would be cut and dry," the victim's mother added.
But it turned out to be anything but that. "They protect him," Victor's father explained.
The Navy's actions, or lack there of, left the family disillusioned and shaken.
"We still don't have answers," Victor's father admitted. "I don't think any of us want a bunch of child molesters running around in the military. Do we?"
And that is the question, because the Defenders have discovered a disturbing trend. In case after case, the United States military has protected known child molesters, keeping them out of the courts, out of jail, sometimes even helping them avoid arrest, all at the cost of victims and their families.
"I am not at all surprised," said Christine Hansen.
Hansen is executive director of the Miles Foundation, a national support group for military crime victims.
"There is no understanding within the military of sex offender behavior, particularly pedophile," Hansen added.
For example, after a look at the Texas sex offender registry, 11 News found a number of soldiers still in the military who had committed sex crimes against children.
Like Marine Paul Hyska, convicted for indecency and sexual contact with a 13-year-old. And Army Sgt. Benjamin Schroeder, who appears in uniform on the offender registry. Schroeder got caught with a tape of a 10-year-old having sex.
But his current address, according to the Web site, is Fort Hood in Central Texas.
"They have dishonored us," Hansen proclaimed.
Which brings us back to Jason Hurt. Because of his confession, he was charged with four counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child.
But then, "The years went by," said Victor's mother.
One, two, three years, and Jason Hurt never showed up in court.
"It went on and on," the victim's mother continued.
The case was reset over and over, a total of 10 times.
So what was the problem?
Despite that confession, the Navy not only kept Hurt in service, but shipped him out to sea, away from Texas and justice.
"Victor was just angry at everything," his mother said.
And the delays were having a terrible effect on the victim.
"I started getting in fights a whole lot," Victor admitted. "We went from doctor to doctor," his mother said.
And then came the ultimate shocker. "When somebody told me he reenlisted, I hit the roof," said Jerri Yenne, Brazoria County prosecutor.
That's right, Yenne discovered the Navy actually let Hurt re-up.
"I thought, what's going on here?" Yenne continued.
So finally, Yenni sent a formal protest to the Navy, got Hurt back to Texas, and won a 12-year conviction against him.
"I would like to know that this wouldn't happen to somebody else," Victor's mother said.
But it has, with even worse results.
"He wasn't like the majority of them you meet," said Diana Jackson. And so Jackson started dating Navy recruit Charles Freeman. "He seemed to care about my children," she added.
But then this Georgia mom noticed something. "I see my child changing," Jackson said. "She just started drawing away and, um, eventually she wanted to kill herself."
Why? Because Freeman had been molesting her.
The person that she should have been able to go to wasn't there.
But by now Freeman was long gone, transferred out of state.
And when Georgia prosecutors told the Navy about charges they'd filed against him, the Navy ignored both that and the subsequent arrest warrant for Freeman. And instead, kept him in the service and often at sea.
And yet, they still sit back and do nothing, not serving the warrants.
So what did they eventually do? A year later, the Navy simply discharged Freeman instead of turning him in.
They turned him loose on the public, where he soon molested another young girl, according to court documents.
"I just don't understand," Jackson said.
Finally captured, he was sent back to Georgia and given 40 years in prison for his crimes there.
But for Jackson, it's not enough.
"Those little girls wouldn't have been touched if they had served those warrants," said Jackson.
Thursday afternoon, one branch of the military responded to the 11 News Defenders findings. A Navy spokesman at the Pentagon said it is "genuinely concerned" and is looking into the cases in question.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS affiliates have been trashing the military since the sixties.
Dan Rather has been with them since the sixties, he has done more negative stories on the military than any other reporter in history.
Anyone or any group that questioned him got labeled right wing extremist,
or something to that effect. (NRA, Christians, Veterans, Anti-abortion…)
He has trashed not only the military, but also any organization that was pro-military or pro-republican, if he didn't have the data he needed for his biased reports, they would make it up. (Forged documents?)
Rather became like a God to all CBS affiliates, and his will had to be done,
going against his principles was asking to be fired.
Its been that way at CBS for over forty years and it will remain that way for a long time to come.
The only thing we can do is not watch CBS or any affiliates, and maybe protest to their sponsors, other than that Dan Rather is untouchable!
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. If this is true, it should be exposed.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I gave the impression that I thought these stories were lies. I'm sure that these examples are true. However, when the affliate makes a statement such as: "In case after case, we found a disturbing trend of the military protecting these types of folks..." (forgive the paraphrase), I have to wonder how many cases they looked at, and over how long a period of time.

There's bad apples in all professions, and even in the military; we all know that. And this story might not have resonated with me, except for the fact that we are at war, and that it is the avowed intention of our media to discredit our military whenever possible.

I'm just disturbed by the slant in these stories. It makes it seem like our military is corrupt.

Maria
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. Thanks.

One pedophile is enough, in the church or in the military.
So is one traitor enough, eh? And to let that slide, too.

Hmmmm. We're hearing about the pedophile?
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Letting traitors slide seems to be par for the course, as long as the traitor...oh, sorry..."ALLEGED TRAITOR" is a Democrat.

Maria
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Letting traitors slide seems to be par for the course, as long as the traitor...oh, sorry..."ALLEGED TRAITOR" is a Democrat.

Maria
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it rather strange for the "Liberal" media to be talking about pedophiles. Aren't they the ones always knapping on about "GAY RIGHTS"
and sexual freedom ( freedom from sexual responsibility and moral consideration for the consequences of ones actions). The ACLU would be the first to defend something like "NAMBLA"
Personally, I consider this whole matter another attempt by the left to undermine our military and little else. Mad

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: