SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Europe still won't help train Iraqi Security Forces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Old Europe still won't help train Iraqi Security Forces Reply with quote

I just don't get it...these six European NATO countries still will not help the Iraqi people train their own security forces, not even at a safe neutral site outside of Iraq! What do these Old European countries want for the people of Iraq? Total chaos? A failed democracy? Another brutal dictatorship? Perpetual terrorism? Civil war?
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=535&ncid=535&e=11&u=/ap/20041119/ap_on_re_eu/us_nato_iraq
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These countries always act in their own self interest first and foremost. As such they tend to believe everyone else does also. That is why they resent the US so, they think we took away their sweet deal and intend on replacing it with one of our own. Since they are incapable of doing things for reasons other than their own self interest, we must be also. That they believe this about us even after WWII shows how deeply cynical they are. They want the EU to be a world power so that they can exploit smaller coutries to their own benefit. They worked with us in the cold war because it was to their benefit, if they work with us now it will be because they can benefit from it. "Whats in it for me?" is their watchword.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: NATOS Days are Numbered Reply with quote

NATO is moving in the same direction as the UN. We need bilateral agreements with our real friends and to heck with these failed organizations.

Independent that leans right of center.
highwayman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the messed up part of it is that it is an us involvement and they would be playing second fiddle and would not be getting much of the recognition...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highwayman wrote:
the messed up part of it is that it is an us involvement and they would be playing second fiddle and would not be getting much of the recognition...

Sad but true. These are ego driven countries that have rendered valuable organizations such as NATO and the UN of no effect.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the complaints that Europeans have about Americans is that we tend to treat other countries like children and inferiors. At least according to my young German friend (in his 30's) whom I have since stopped discussing politics with via ICQ. I think I am right in assuming that is the mindset of most Europeans with a leftist leaning. (I won't use the word liberal, since it has a different meaning in Europe than it does here).

This kind of mindset can be confusing as when I tried to find out what he thought we should do in Iraq. To his credit, he doesn't think we should withdraw, but the best he could say was to stop treating the Iraquis and other Arab nations like children. In other words negogiate with the other Arab countries to help out, I think is what he meant. It's hard to say.

And I never could get a clear understanding of what he meant, except that I think he means we should grovel. He is fervently anti-American.

Maria
highwayman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are treated like children because they act like children...as a truck driver i have dealt with varias unions, there are decent shops out there but i have come across a few that act like, well, children. in one case i remember the supervisor literaly went into a fit that put to mind a 3 yo carying on because mommy won't give a cookie...

it is not just in labor organisations but the more left an area is less, it seems, mature the people are....remember what went on with the 2000 elections?
Poacher
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey. How long has it taken you to wake up to the fact that Europe is to the far left. We even want to forget history becuse it came fom the right. We now live in a toltalitarian state thanks to Blair and his political mafia. As for Irag! Well now, look at the left government of Spain and that will answer all your questions. I take that Ford are still producing most of their car range there on the cheap. Ford is American is it not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: