SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK, I am fed up with the Army
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: OK, I am fed up with the Army Reply with quote

I just received a call from my son who is in his 8th year in the reserves and 10th month in Iraq. He is a little (lot) upset and I am now very upset also. My son is a big guy, always has been, played some division II football in college as a lineman, but is strong as a horse and a fairly good athlete. He was good enough to join the Army and has a good record, including last year filling a position 2 paygrades above his to arrange movement of his entire unit and all their equipmeant to Iraq. He has fought a weight problem and because of his size has never and will never be able to comply with the Army height - weight standards. He has been in compliance with their alternate standard using neck, waist and chest measurements. (54" Chest and 34" inch waist) He recently ran in the Army 10 mile relay and runs daily along with weight lifting on a regular basis. He once before was assigned to a special weight loss platoon until his commander at the time intervened and suggested that he box the officer who had assigned him to it. The officer said there was no way he would get in a ring with my son. He was immediately released back to his unit.
Now he is in Iraq, serving his country and doing his job, however his commander just informed him that because he does not meet the old height-weight standards he will not receive the awards he has earned or medals for service. He is also no longer eligible for advancement.
Personally I think this is a little unfair, he weighs over 30 lbs less than when he was sent to Iraq, he has done his job and served. If he was that unfit why did they send him and why did they wait til his enlistment is almost over?? The real twist to this is since he is getting close to being done, they have been trying to get him to re-enlist.
I am just overwhelmed by the stupidity of it all. He is fit enough to go and serve, but not receive the awards he earned. He is fit enough to re-enlist, but not be advanced.
I guess the military hasn't changed much over the years.
I am a little discouraged by it all.
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: US...A-AF-MC-CG-N Reply with quote

All branches have their goophy rules & regs. I appreciate your frustration. But, turn that into a productive quest. Notify your congressman, using the same info you posted here. Let him see if he can get your son what he deserves. Just a word or two of caution:
Make sure you have all of the facts straight;
Know your congressman well enough so he won't go charging in & make matters worse.
This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Good luck. Smile
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Sgt-Keeper. Make sure of the facts and then contact your
Congressman and Senators. It would be one thing if he had not been
risking his life every day in Iraq, but this is unacceptable under the
circumstances. It is very hypocritical for them to at the same time be
asking him to re-enlist.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, I am fed up with the Army Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
....he will not receive the awards he has earned or medals for service.

This is totally out of line. If earned under honorable conditions, which they apparently were, his awards and medals are HIS.

Schadow
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Start at the top -- Rummy -- via registered mail.

Before you do, get ALL of you facts in order. Let others including an attorney review it for flaws. DR is a very demanding when asking about the facts. Leave the emotion other than what you feel as a parent and that you son wants to serve. Do not raise holy heck.

Start there and also let DR know you will be hitting your Senators and congressmen if some sort of dialog towards resolution is not forthcoming. Give them some sort of deadline that is reasonable -- like 14 days. Give him the cast of characters. names, dates and such that his staff will be able to quickly confirm his good service and awards.

There are always your local TV stations as well if the politicos are not up to the task.

Tell your son that all of us are pulling for him and his fellow soldiers.

Best,

Cazador
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance that a local paper might write a story on this? I would talk to them. If you get something published, post it here. Then we can use it to pressure the political leaders and the media. A little coverage could make this go away pretty fast. He earned his medals. This is beurocratic BS.

If you get the chance post your letter to the newspaper even if they don't print it.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd strongly recommend "cooling it" everyone, and take this a step at a time. Nutso, if he is ever thinking of making a career in the Army (when all this is fixed), then you don't want to raise hell, and ruin it for him.

Without knowing the particulars, I'd guess that there's one guy ("his commander"?) who is being the obstacle - obviously trained as a beauracrat, so he can't think outside the rules. If your son were to appeal this "his commander's" commander, would that help? How senior are we at here? If "they" are trying to re-enlist him, then "they" may be in the very best position to intercede for your son's behalf with someone senior enough in the chain-of-command.

Please use the 21-gun broadside as the last resort.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Army still takes idiot bureaucrats as officers Wink

I was amazed how banal some could be over towing the line and following rules.

This is the reason we have Congressmen. Writing Rumsfeld is a good idea, but he may never even see it. He has a staff to read mail. Along with letters to him, write to everyone you can think of that represents you locally. You'll hear back from a Congressman far sooner than you would DR.

I remember when the Army instituted it's "fat man" project in the early 70's. I was in Germany, weighed 155 lbs and stand 5'8" and was told I was overweight. Shocked
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: TEST Reply with quote

Have your son request a Medical Doctor for a test to determine his body mass and fat percentage. There is a formula that calculates percentage of body mass to fat. One form of testing is the tape test and the best method is the submersion test. Once calculated and the member is within standards they receive a permanent waiver. Several military body builders I’ve known need to use this method or they would be deemed overweight. Only a Medical Doctor can approve the permanent waiver after he performs the body mass adjustment test.

Independent that leans right of center.
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: TEST Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
Have your son request a Medical Doctor for a test to determine his body mass and fat percentage. There is a formula that calculates percentage of body mass to fat. One form of testing is the tape test and the best method is the submersion test. Once calculated and the member is within standards they receive a permanent waiver. Several military body builders I’ve known need to use this method or they would be deemed overweight. Only a Medical Doctor can approve the permanent waiver after he performs the body mass adjustment test.

Nice...I'm consistently impressed with the quality of information we find on this board on a myriad of issues...

Thanks W, Swifties, POWs & brave soldiers everywhere fighting for America and for freedom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: OK, I am fed up with the Army Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
I just received a call from my son who is in his 8th year in the reserves and 10th month in Iraq. He is a little (lot) upset and I am now very upset also. My son is a big guy, always has been, played some division II football in college as a lineman, but is strong as a horse and a fairly good athlete. He was good enough to join the Army and has a good record, including last year filling a position 2 paygrades above his to arrange movement of his entire unit and all their equipmeant to Iraq. He has fought a weight problem and because of his size has never and will never be able to comply with the Army height - weight standards. He has been in compliance with their alternate standard using neck, waist and chest measurements. (54" Chest and 34" inch waist) He recently ran in the Army 10 mile relay and runs daily along with weight lifting on a regular basis. He once before was assigned to a special weight loss platoon until his commander at the time intervened and suggested that he box the officer who had assigned him to it. The officer said there was no way he would get in a ring with my son. He was immediately released back to his unit.
Now he is in Iraq, serving his country and doing his job, however his commander just informed him that because he does not meet the old height-weight standards he will not receive the awards he has earned or medals for service. He is also no longer eligible for advancement.
Personally I think this is a little unfair, he weighs over 30 lbs less than when he was sent to Iraq, he has done his job and served. If he was that unfit why did they send him and why did they wait til his enlistment is almost over?? The real twist to this is since he is getting close to being done, they have been trying to get him to re-enlist.
I am just overwhelmed by the stupidity of it all. He is fit enough to go and serve, but not receive the awards he earned. He is fit enough to re-enlist, but not be advanced.
I guess the military hasn't changed much over the years.
I am a little discouraged by it all.

I never heard anything so sad in my life. What does your sons weight have to do with his performance? He has served honorably. I hope you advised him to go through the appropriate channels and report this.

Kerry got medals and lied to get them and they are going to withhold your sons becuase he has a weight issue? If that was the case then they should not have sent him to Iraq and they should have just honorably discharged him. Please let us know how this works out for your son and I will keep him in my prayers. God how truly sad....what is happening to the people in this world. It is really sick. God bless you, your son, and your family.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry too, that's just crazy. It may take some time, but I have faith that you guys can get it all worked out. I will be happy to write letters if needed. Hang in there.
lonevoice
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sympathize!!!

I got put on the Army's "Fat Boy" program when I was in, although I had an 18" neck, 48" chest, and a 32" waist.(We had a XO that was a stickler for the 'Book', never mind the average [for the unit] 275 pound benchpresses in our units. For reps, I might add!! Wink ) All I had to do is appeal the decision, and get a BFM done, as another poster mentioned.

Unless there is another reason for the denial of awards, etc., this should get him to where he needs to be. (Please understand that I mean to cast no aspersions on your son's service.)

Every so often you run into someone who REALLY needs to be a civilian, and they just don't get it.(the desk driver piddling around with your son, because he can.)

You think someone genetically predisposed to produce MUSCLE might do it, while the ARMY tries its best to get people ready to go? Sheeesh!!!!!

Like someone else said, I would hesitate before bringing in outside help(Senator, etc.) if he intends to become a lifer. One wouldn't want to colour his rep with too much of that.

JMHO

Lone

2/75th Rgr. Bgd.

If it's not a baby, you're not pregnant.
-me
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt is so right. I am ashamed of myself for not thinking of
it before. I have been teaching anatomy for over 20 years and have
also taught nutrition, so I know the difference between being overfat
and overweight. According to many of the current weight tables,
body builders and football players who are actually in excellent shape
would be classified as "overweight" but are certainly not "overfat".
Muscle truly does weigh more than fat, so this woman's son could
actually be in much better shape than the weight tables indicate.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help. I have contacted my Senator with a polite request to look into this. I am waiting his reply and will let ya know what I find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: