SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swearing in for Duty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Swearing in for Duty Reply with quote

SCOUTS WORSE THAN NAZIS?

“Meanwhile, the American Civil Liberties Union announces that it has
intimidated the Pentagon into agreeing ‘to end direct sponsorship of
hundreds of Boy Scout units, which require members to swear religious
oaths, on military facilities across the United States and overseas.’ . . .
The ACLU used to be so committed to free expression that it would even
represent Nazis and Klansmen seeking to express their views. But
apparently they draw the line at the Boy Scouts.”

- James Taranto, Best of the Web, 11/16/04 WSJ.com
can't find a direct link-
got it from

**Website deleted by Mother. Wrong address.**

Okay, we're still just 17 days from my recruit heading to Parris Island, so I've got his Enlistment Oath at hand.

Whatever will we do if the ACLU finds out the last subsection states:
"So Help Me God"
"Through my belief in the supreme being, I hereby make this covenant of conscience with that being and invoke his assistance in carrying out this oath. I understand that our society may impose upon me the penalties of perjury if this oath is falsely made."

Last edited by Mother on Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother,

Can you please find some way to copy that article to this forum or get a direct link?

Everytime I click on the link you have posted, it sends me to my mailbox and says my log-in session has expired, and then won't take my password to relog in...something which doesn't happen if I go directly to my own mailbox.

Thanks.

Maria
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I sent a direct link to my email account!, like a dummy. I deleted the email and luckily that's why it couldn't be accessed. It was received from Chuck Muth's News and Views online newsletter and you might be able to find it there. I've gotta run, so I can't take the time to look right now. Sorry! I'd not found the piece on the WSJ.com website but it states that some pieces are not always available.
http://www.chuckmuth.com/

Anyhow, I hoped you, Maria, would be on it right away, and you were. Thanks.
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I get to the reason for this new post, I want to revisit the Enlistment Oath for our Armed Services. Earlier, I stated the last portion of the Oath. Maybe I should have started at the beginning:

"I Do Solemnly Swear (Or Affirm)
In taking this oath, I make it a metter of conscience and, when combined with an invocation to the deity, make a covenant between myself and the supreme being in which I believe. In my relationship with society, I understand this declaration may subject me to the penalties of perjury if falsely made.

That I Will Support and Defend the Constitution of the United States
The Constitution of the United States is the founding document of this nation...The original document, together with its amendments and the legal interpretations of its meaning and intent, form the basic charter under which our government of law operates. To presere this nation as a government of law, I will uphold and camioin its provisions and will shield and protect it.

Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic
I will do so in opposition to those who are hostile to its provisions and who seek its change by threat or revolution, whether they be citizens of this country, or aliens from other lands seeking to impose a form of government or philosophy contrary to our laws and beliefs.

That I will Bear True Faith and Allegiance to the Same
In woord and deed, I will continue to express my devotion and loyalty to our consitution and government which operates under its charter. I have an obligation to uphold it and will say or do nothing which can be interpreted as expressing a lack of confidence or belief in it.

And that I Will Obey the Orders of the President of the United States
I recognize the President as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and his authority in the Consitution of the United States.

And the Orders of the Officers Appointed Over Me
I acknowledge that the officers appointed over me are responsible for maintaining the order and discipline necessary in a military environment.

According to Regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice
Since military environment and duties are unique and worldwide, a special system of laws and courts is required to help maintain good order and discipline. The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) is the system of criminal justice that protects my rights while in the Armed Forces.

So Help Me God
Through my belief in the supreme being, I hereby make this covenant of conscience with that being and invoke his assistance in carrying out this oath. I understand that our society may impose upon me the penalties of perjury if this oath is falsely made."

Academy removes Christian banner
'I am a member of Team Jesus Christ'
Saturday, November 20, 2004 Posted: 9:18 PM EST (0218 GMT)

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colorado (AP) -- The Air Force Academy's longtime football coach has agreed to remove a Christian banner from the team's locker room after school administrators announced they would do more to fight religious intolerance.

Coach Fisher DeBerry agreed Friday to remove the banner, which displayed the "Competitor's Creed," including the lines "I am a Christian first and last ... I am a member of Team Jesus Christ."

DeBerry put the banner up Wednesday to encourage the team, which has experienced one of its worst seasons in recent years, academy spokesman Lt. Col. Laurent Fox said.

A day earlier, academy Superintendent Lt. Gen. John W. Rosa announced the school would do more religious tolerance training after some nonreligious cadets reported on a survey that they felt ostracized. Others reported hearing religious slurs or jokes.

Outgoing Air Force Secretary James Roche issued a statement Friday backing the academy's effort. "Our policy is clear. Tolerance of gender, racial, ethnic and religious diversity is required at our Air Force," Roche said.

In September, academy officials issued a memo explaining the government's e-mail policy after some staffers put biblical verses at the bottom of their e-mails. Some cadets were admonished in March for using academy e-mail accounts to encourage other people to see "The Passion of the Christ," Mel Gibson's movie about the crucifixion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: