SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Invitation and Recommended Reading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Invitation and Recommended Reading Reply with quote

If you're in the area, please join us. I would certainly be honored by your presence. If you're not in the area, please stop at 2 pm EST and offer a prayer. He leaves for Parris Island December 6.

Mr. and Mrs. Randy Rose
and family
humbly
request your prayers
at a service of
Thanksgiving
and
Communion
for
United States
Marine Corps Recruit
Gilchrist Kelly Rose

Saturday
November 27, 2004
2:00 p.m.
The Rev. Al MacKenzie
Celebrant
St. John's Episcopal Church
St. John's-Stokestown Road
Grifton, North Carolina

+

OPEN HOUSE
immediately following
6701 NORTH HIGHLAND BOULEVARD
GRIFTON, NORTH CAROLINA

I found this book while shopping for the open house and immediately thought of Maria. I bought it for my son, but he's got a couple ahead of this that I am force-feeding him : )

UNDER GOD
By Toby Mac and Michael Tait with Wallbuilders
www.tobymac.com
www.taitband.com
www.wallbuilders.com

"Statesmen...may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand." -John Adams
-Against these stories of light, the authors also examine the dark side of America's legacy...

Introduction
The Shining Light of Liberty and the Shadows of the Dream
-"When studying the founding of the United States, on thing that you can't help but encounter is the faith of our forefathers. Time and time again our forefathers recognized God's hand in the shaping of this nation. You will find Him mentioned repeatedly in their words and documents. Amazingly, hardly any of this factual history is taught today, whereas it was common pubic school teaching material seventy-five years ago."
Jack Hetherton, jr
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Invitation and Recommended Reading Reply with quote

Mother wrote:
If you're in the area, please join us. I would certainly be honored by your presence. If you're not in the area, please stop at 2 pm EST and offer a prayer. He leaves for Parris Island December 6.

Mr. and Mrs. Randy Rose
and family
humbly
request your prayers
at a service of
Thanksgiving
and
Communion
for
United States
Marine Corps Recruit
Gilchrist Kelly Rose

Saturday
November 27, 2004
2:00 p.m.
The Rev. Al MacKenzie
Celebrant
St. John's Episcopal Church
St. John's-Stokestown Road
Grifton, North Carolina

+

OPEN HOUSE
immediately following
6701 NORTH HIGHLAND BOULEVARD
GRIFTON, NORTH CAROLINA

I found this book while shopping for the open house and immediately thought of Maria. I bought it for my son, but he's got a couple ahead of this that I am force-feeding him : )

UNDER GOD
By Toby Mac and Michael Tait with Wallbuilders
www.tobymac.com
www.taitband.com
www.wallbuilders.com

"Statesmen...may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand." -John Adams
-Against these stories of light, the authors also examine the dark side of America's legacy...

Introduction
The Shining Light of Liberty and the Shadows of the Dream
-"When studying the founding of the United States, on thing that you can't help but encounter is the faith of our forefathers. Time and time again our forefathers recognized God's hand in the shaping of this nation. You will find Him mentioned repeatedly in their words and documents. Amazingly, hardly any of this factual history is taught today, whereas it was common pubic school teaching material seventy-five years ago."
May God Bless him and guide him. "Mother", have you read George Washington's farewell address? I wish it was required reading for all students before graduation.
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Just to update anyone who's interested, the service was most lovely. His recruiter and Gunny both attended. While he's 19 and hasn't been to church in a good while, he never said "don't". The priest had this same service before he left, back in '45. The words he spoke during the homily were to let Gil know that this act allowed us to keep him with us, and allowed him to take us with him. How beautiful. Many of his friends came, the whole family, the church folks. His dad got all choked up. His little sister was acolyte and I was able to be chalice bearer. The priest presented him with the armed services cross and prayer book. When it was over Gil climbed the stairs back to the church, wrapped his arms around me and as he held me, whispered 'thank you'.

We spent the afternoon enjoying gram's cookies and coffee, then enjoyed an outdoor fire, steamed oysters and heavy hor devours, and friends. The table was covered in red, with gold ribbons and candlesticks. It was a wonderfully, quiet, love-filled day that I hope will never leave him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: