SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYU Daily: "Kerry aide pans nasty Bush run"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: NYU Daily: "Kerry aide pans nasty Bush run" Reply with quote

Perhaps just another obscure article from the world of liberal academia, but the assault on the truth of the Swiftvet campaign continues...

(emphasis mine)

Quote:
Kerry aide pans nasty Bush run
by Jesse Greenspan
Contributing Writer
Washington Square News
NYU's Daily Student Newspaper
Issue date: 11.29.2004

George W. Bush ran the most negative presidential campaign in history, and the media never covered the story, an aide to Sen. John Kerry's campaign said last Monday at the journalism department.

Marco Trbovich, a United Steelworkers of America employee who advised Kerry on labor policy, told the 20 students gathered at Carter Hall that about 80 percent of Bush's campaign money was spent on negative advertising.

"If you can think of a few positive commercials that you saw, you saw all of them that were there," he said.

Bush's campaign played upon fear, using patriotic and religious fervor to make voters fear Kerry and the changes he might bring, Trbovich said.

"The Bush strategy worked, creating a big question mark over John Kerry's ability to lead," he said.

Trbovich, who spoke as part of the journalism department's "brown bag" lecture series, singled out two campaign phenomena that he said the media covered particularly poorly: a Bush ad about Kerry's health care plan that Trbovich called completely false, and the months-long smear campaign by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which claimed, among other things, that Kerry faked injuries in Vietnam.

"The Kerry campaign didn't act fast enough because it wasn't cynical enough about the media [to think] that controversy was more important than context," said Trbovich, who has reported for United Press International, the Detroit Free Press and The Boston Phoenix, among other news organizations.

"I think [Bush strategist Karl] Rove is appropriately cynical about the quality -- or lack of it -- in the American media these days," he said.

Trbovich also credited Rove for successfully enlarging the base of the Republican Party, something he said his own party failed to do. He was particularly disappointed in the Democrats' failure to reach blue-collar workers.

"We had a very yuppified campaign," he said, citing as an example Kerry's five speechwriters, all of whom were Harvard University graduates and were under 30. "I could never convince those people that the privatization of Social Security was a big issue."

He also said labor had been marginalized, adding, "There's a kind of elitism to the Democratic Party."

Trbovich has known Kerry for more than 30 years, he said, and even worked as communications director of Kerry's failed 1972 congressional campaign. He said the Massachusetts senator has more integrity and intelligence than almost anyone else he knows. He added, however, that unlike Bill Clinton, Kerry's intellect is at stronger than his political ear.

"Excuse my language, but you've literally got to beat the **** out of John Kerry sometimes to get him where you want him to go," he said.

Washington.Square.Com

In case you're so moved...

Contacts:

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
Bret Nolan Collazzi
editor@nyunews.com
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In case you're so moved...

Can't say I'm moved enough to waste my time
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me, but perhaps it's because I don't live in a swing state...I don't recall seeing any negative Bush campaign ads, not to the extent that the Democratic 527's ran.

The only ads I saw other than the SVPT ones (which I saw on the internet and on FOX), were those which used Kerry's own words against him, and they were mostly based on the issues.

So...I wonder sometimes what planet these people are living on.

Maria
commdog
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta give the guy some credit, there was a lot of truth in what he said:

"...to make voters fear Kerry and the changes he might bring..." (I didn't need anyone to tell me, Kerry's actions have been telling everyone for years.)

"The Bush strategy worked, creating a big question mark over John Kerry's ability to lead". (Ditto)

"...the months-long smear campaign by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which claimed, among other things, that Kerry faked injuries in Vietnam." (They weren't 'faked', they were real injuries. Kerry just made fraudulent reports about how he recieved them.)

"I think [Bush strategist Karl] Rove is appropriately cynical about the quality -- or lack of it -- in the American media these days". (Well said.)

"Trbovich also credited Rove for successfully enlarging the base of the Republican Party, something he said his own party failed to do. He was particularly disappointed in the Democrats' failure to reach blue-collar workers." (Ditto.)

"He also said labor had been marginalized, adding, 'There's a kind of elitism to the Democratic Party'." (Ditto, to which I would add, it ain't the 'DemocratIC" party any more, it's just plain-old Democrat party. Please note the correct name in the future.)
/CD
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can it be a "smear campaign" when the information used is true?

As a long-term Democrat, I was and have been turned off by the negative Democratic and 527 ads, and by the personal attacks used by the Dems in their "do and say anything" quest to get Kerry elected.

Besides having a bad candidate, the Democrats simply ran a bad campaign, and it showed in the final vote tally.
commdog
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more. My family has voted D since FDR. This isn't my father's DemorcratIC party any more. I agree with the author of another thread who stated that the SV/POW and the Rs simply did a better job of vetting the Dem candidate.
/CD
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, Bush was called a liar, a murderer, a nazi, Hitler, a traitor, a coward, a draft dodger, a deserter, a fascist, a terrorist, an idiot, a moron, stupid, a warmonger, a dictator, an emperor, a chimp, a shrub, a female reproductive organ, a racist, a bigot, unfeeling, uncaring, insensitive, mentally deranged, insane, had his military service smeared and was attacked by a network with charges based on forged and false documents and they think he ran a dirty campaign? I think someone needs a reality check.
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USMCWayne wrote:
How can it be a "smear campaign" when the information used is true?

As a long-term Democrat, I was and have been turned off by the negative Democratic and 527 ads, and by the personal attacks used by the Dems in their "do and say anything" quest to get Kerry elected.

Besides having a bad candidate, the Democrats simply ran a bad campaign, and it showed in the final vote tally.

Quote: How can it be a "smear campaign" when the information used is true?

Absolutely TRUE but to the left wing everything that they don't like is some kind of SMEAR or conspiracy; they are propelled by hate for Bush and political mongering.
I've got 275 swift boat vets that tell me he's a fraud or has character defects enough to question his candidacy for commander in chief. On the other side there are 6,7,8,9 of Kerry's crew(two are/have received political funds) that say he should be Prez and commander in chief of the armed forces.
If my math serves me it's a 30:1 +/- ratio and enough for me to question his integrity.
Even then I gave JFK a chance until I viewed the voting record including 36% attendance in 03 and 8% attendance in 04,Cambodia lies,trashing his Swifties,trashing the military budget,trashing a sitting Prez,etc,etc..
WE DON"T NEED THIS! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Wink Wink Wink

Quote: 'ran a bad campaign'

The Dems ran a pitifully bad campaign with a pitiful candidate in my opinion. No smear campaign by the Republicans they presented the facts including Bushs' constant praises about Kerry's service in Vietnam(had to swallow)and 20 yrs in Congress. Kerry didn't have a congressional record and was forced to talk about the Vietnam war, Cambodia and purple hearts. Poor SOB just got himself in a Box and couldn't get out; this is what happens when dishonesty catches up with you.

The Swift vets presented another view of JFK from 275 separate sources and enough to smother out 9 of JFK's crew(2 being pd by Dem campaign other-political appointee) but MSM would not give equal time and objectivity to this opting for continued manipulation; MSM posture is immoral and unethical in my opinion

I hope the Democrats continue to use Moore,celebs,trashers,left-wing,etc,etc.........bite em in the butt again.

Quote: 'final vote tally'

I suspect the vote margin would have been much more for Bush if Kerry's group hadn't sued the absentee ballots. Some estimate that the military vote was suppressed by as much as 40% in this election and 40% during the 2000 election. Also, another 10-15% suppression was due to LEFT-WING MSM, UNI"S, 527's and manipulation of exit polls conducted by MSM and financed by Soros.

For this voter, it was the end of the Democratic party for me earlier this year. Ratio between lies/agenda/manipulation and truth is 1,000 to 1 respectively Democrats to Republicans.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotty61 wrote:
Let's see, Bush was called a liar, a murderer, a nazi, Hitler, a traitor, a coward, a draft dodger, a deserter, a fascist, a terrorist, an idiot, a moron, stupid, a warmonger, a dictator, an emperor, a chimp, a shrub, a female reproductive organ, a racist, a bigot, unfeeling, uncaring, insensitive, mentally deranged, insane, had his military service smeared and was attacked by a network with charges based on forged and false documents and they think he ran a dirty campaign? I think someone needs a reality check.

Bush's military record cleared and they were still running with the story.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Greenspan said Marco Trbovich wrote:
...The Bush strategy worked, creating a big question mark over John Kerry's ability to lead...

Excuse me Trbovich but the really BIG question mark over Silky Pony's ability to lead was put there by every commanding officer under whom he served! An exclamation point was added by 82 percent of the officers with whom he served and all but two of the enlisted men who served under him. Good grief, your whoppers are as big as Silky's.
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the truth against John Kerry ?

That is indeed a smear campaign. Laughing

I actually won the election before I lost it.

"It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!" (Crazy Horse)
army72
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This certainly isn't your father's democratic party any more. Look at the people trying to drive the party to the extreme left. Moore, Streisand, Sheen, Penn, Kerry, Teddy, Hillary, Gore, Mahr, Sharpton, Jackson, the ACLU, Soros, Rather and the list just keepings on going...including most of hollywood. Is there anybody that thinks they really help our country by attacking the pres, undercutting our troops by protesting their actions, and constantly going against our actions. People like the Dixie Chicks that tried to gain popularity by going overseas and attacking our pres in front of other countries.

I wonder why that party doesn't understand that their actions go directly against our troops. At one time I was also a democrat but they've screwed that party up so much that I can't see myself returning to it.

I watched as people like I have listed above spewed hatred and attacked without regard to the truth. When they ran out of hate messages, they made up new attacks....' RatherGate', 'He Knew!' (refering to 9/11), 'stealing votes', and others.

The Academy Awards are now tainted by the likes of Streisand and her gang pushing to get Moore nominated for an award and stonewalling Gibsons masterpiece to block his nomination. I think the backlash is long overdue, when people get tired of these idiots pushing their agendas and stop going to their movies. It wouldn't take long for the big money to make changes and fire some of these dopes.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

army72 wrote:
...certainly isn't your father's democratic party any more...

I was a Democrat, my parents' party, until Jimmy-who-lusted-in-his-heart came along. After that despicable demonstration of incompetence, I never again took seriously the liberal, progressive philosophy.

Jay Nordlinger, National Review, October 11, 2002 wrote:
...Carter has been a thorn in the side of presidents...he wrote members of the U.N. Security Council...urging them to thwart the Bush administration...he talks about a higher law, a duty to conscience...[his] reputation as a Middle East sage...shaky...deal worked out before ever approaching Washington...Still, Carter is proud...always considered himself screwed out of the Nobel prize, and he and his Carter Center have campaigned rather embarrassingly openly for it....Arabs are heavy-duty funders of the Carter Center...[he is] passionately anti-Israel...[Douglas] Brinkley writes, “There was no world leader Jimmy Carter was more eager to know than Yasir Arafat.”...Carter hailed Yugoslavia’s Tito as “a man who believes in human rights.” He said of Romania’s barbaric Ceausescu and himself, “Our goals are the same: to have a just system of economics and politics...singing praises to Kim Il Sung...friendship with Daniel Ortega...Carter

I don't remember all these things clearly but I do remember he gave up the Panama Canal (now militarily controlled by the Chinese) and leaked our stealth technology to get reelected (that failed thankfully). He made me a Republican before my time. I'll never forgive him and America shouldn't either. I knew of Silky Pony's despicable acts but was pretty far removed from them, busy, busy, busy. In hindsight, I now see the connection between these two cheesy punks. I believe he used the system to somehow legally forgive Silky, either through a pardon, an upgrade, amnesty or whatever.

You're smack on target. The Democrat Party went completely off the acceptable track.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they still haven't got it. Notice how SVPT got lumped in with the Bush campaign. Until the democrat party leadership realizes that it had nothing to do with the party and was only the candidate they chose, they are doomed to failure.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is nothing but a mouthpiece for the United Steal Workers of America who went around the country proclaiming that the UNION would give Kerry a victory. He also claims to have served with Kerry in Vietnam and joined in his Anti-War Protests.

Look how wrong they were!!

Copyright 2004 Guardian Newspapers Limited
The Guardian (London) -- Final Edition
February 12, 2004

Comment & Analysis: Kerry will win the patriot game: Bush is trying and failing to dent the Democratic front runner's war record -- just as Nixon did before him
BYLINE: Sidney Blumenthal

Since the onset of the cold war, the Republicans have attempted to taint the Democrats as unpatriotic, in league with America's enemies, without and within.With the cold war's end, one of the central organising principles of the Republican political strategy dissolved. But in the aftermath of September 11, George Bush and his political adviser Karl Rove have reanimated the patriot game, and Democrats have been conflated with terrorists and tyrants.

The founding father of the Republican patriot game was Richard Nixon, whose career was borne along by impugning the patriotism of Democratic opponents and uncovering subversives whom he claimed represented the heart of the new deal. His relentless ambition, however, was thwarted when he found himself confronted by a war hero, John F Kennedy. In 1960, the game was over. But the Vietnam war gave Nixon the platform for his resurrection. Once he became president, the game of smearing the Democrats was reinvented as he set Vietnam veterans and hard hat, blue--collar workers against war protesters.

In the spring of 1971, a worrisome new political figure emerged to oppose Nixon's Vietnam policy. On April 22, John Kerry, wearing combat fatigues, his silver star, bronze star and three purple hearts, testified before the Senate foreign relations committee. "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Vietnam?" Kerry asked. "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake? This administration has done us the ultimate dishonour. They have attempted to disown us and the sacrifices we made for this country." According to Nixon's secret White House tapes, a number of fretful meetings were held about how to discredit Kerry. Nixon, the ultimate opportunist, wanted to characterise Kerry as one, too. "Well, he is sort of a phoney, isn't he?" Nixon was recorded as saying. "A racket, sure." "He came back a hawk and became a dove when he saw the political opportunities," Charles Colson, his hatchet man, noted. At which Nixon said: "Well, anyway, keep the faith." Colson then
sent Nixon a memo: "Destroy the young demagogue. . ."

The day after Kerry's testimony, Nixon held another meeting. His chief of staff, HR Haldeman, said: "He did a superb job on it at foreign relations committee yesterday. A Kennedy--type guy, he looks like a Kennedy, and he talks exactly like a Kennedy." That sort of comparison could only incite Nixon's dread and envy. He did not believe that Kerry had ever won medals for bravery. "Bob, the navy didn't have any casualties in Vietnam except in the air," he insisted. Three days later, Haldeman returned. "We've got some interesting dope on Kerry. Kerry, it turns out, some time ago decided he wanted to get into politics."

In another meeting, Haldeman and John Ehrlichman suggested to Nixon that if Kerry led protesters who cut their hair and wore ties and allied with "the hard hats", they would win a majority to their side. "That's right," said Nixon. But, he added: "They're against all that."

From the Republican side, Kerry's march toward the Democratic presidential nomination has appeared as another chance to re--engage with the patriot game. But questions raised about the rationale for the Iraq war have brought to the surface the palimpsest of Vietnam. Bush, the heir of the Nixon party, facing a genuine war hero and a critic of that war and this, finds himself scurrying to explain his apparent absence without leave from his national guard service for an entire year during Vietnam.

His White House is tossing scraps of records to the press that are only provoking additional questions about his prior false explanations. Democratic strategists are now planning to use the tape of Bush, wearing a flight suit on the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln, declaring: "Mission accomplished", which Republicans were once aiming to use as the
centrepiece of their campaign.

Kerry's appeal to veterans isn't simply because he's a veteran. For the Vietnam vets, he has come to stand for the male, blue--collar worker of their generation, the ultimate swing voter. In the light of comparison, they are coming to see Bush as the privileged evader of service, who now is standing with his wealthy friends against them. Kerry is the aristocrat, as a
member of the band of brothers. Nixon's fear is being realised.

Marco Trbovich served in the navy with Kerry, marched against the Vietnam war with him, worked in his campaigns, and is now the communications director of the United Steel Workers of America. "John's been in the foxhole," he told me. "He's endured, survived and never forgotten who these guys are. This is completely authentic. If you're a veteran of Vietnam you understand how unjustly the system can treat you. Now the economic system is treating them unjustly, and Bush is responsible. John's credibility with working--class men who didn't get college educations is enormous. A guy who pretends and puts on a jumpsuit doesn't get it."

Bush, in his interview this week on NBC's Meet the Press, styled himself as a "war president". But he finds himself in a quagmire of his own making and the patriot game has taken an unexpected turn.

Sidney Blumenthal is former senior adviser to President Clinton and author of The Clinton Wars
Sidney--Blumenthal@yahoo.com

Marco Trbovich is the one who just doesn't get it!!

SBD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: