SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Team Joins Ohio Recount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Kerry Team Joins Ohio Recount Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23344-2004Nov30.html
Kerry Team Seeks to Join Fight To Get Ohio County to Recount
Wednesday, December 1, 2004; Page A08

Sen. John F. Kerry's presidential campaign asked an Ohio judge yesterday to allow it to join a legal fight there over whether election officials in one county may sit out the state's impending recount.

A pair of third-party presidential candidates, who said that reports of problems at the polls on Election Day are not being addressed, are forcing the Buckeye State to recount its entire presidential vote. But David A. Yost, a lawyer for Delaware County, just outside Columbus, won a temporary restraining order last week blocking any recount there. He told the Columbus Dispatch that a second count would be a poor use of county resources. President Bush won the mostly Republican area handily, unofficial results show.

Lawyers for the Kerry campaign asked to join Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb, Libertarian candidate Michael Badnarik and the National Voting Rights Institute in the fight to force the county to participate in the recount. "If there's going to be a recount in Ohio, we don't want it to exclude Delaware County or any other county that might decide to follow Delaware County's lead," Kerry lawyer Dan Hoffheimer said. "It should be a full, fair and accurate recount."

Bush won the critical battleground state by approximately 136,000 votes, a victory that also won him a second term.

Cobb's lawyers filed papers yesterday asking a federal court to take over the case, which is scheduled for state court.

-- Brian Faler

Lawyers for the Kerry campaign asked to join Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb, Libertarian candidate Michael Badnarik and the National Voting Rights Institute in the fight to force the county to participate in the recount. "If there's going to be a recount in Ohio, we don't want it to exclude Delaware County or any other county that might decide to follow Delaware County's lead," Kerry lawyer Dan Hoffheimer said. "It should be a full, fair and accurate recount."

Bush won the critical battleground state by approximately 136,000 votes, a victory that also won him a second term.

Cobb's lawyers filed papers yesterday asking a federal court to take over the case, which is scheduled for state court.

-- Brian Faler

http://www.votecobb.org/
Campaigns Demand that Court Allow Recount
Daily Update
Tuesday, November 30, 2004
Attorneys for Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb asked a federal court today to take jurisdiction of, and ultimately dissolve, a temporary restraining order issued by a Delaware County, Ohio judge attempting to prevent Cobb from seeking a recount of the presidential ballots cast in that county. Attorneys representing the Kerry-Edwards campaign filed papers in Delaware County, Ohio to intervene in legal proceedings in defense of Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb and Libertarian Michael Badnarik, who are seeking a recount of all votes cast for president in the Ohio 2004 general election. more
Funds needed to place observers in 88 Ohio counties
How money raised so far is being spent

Press Releases
Statement From the Green Party Presidential Campaign Concerning John Kerry's Intervention in Ohio Recount Court Case
November 30, 2004: Kerry-Edwards campaign files papers in Ohio to intervene in legal proceedings in defense of Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb, Libertarian Michael Badnarik. "We believe that all presidential candidates should support the recount in Ohio to remove any cloud of suspicion cast on the election results. We welcome the support of the Kerry-Edwards campaign for the recount and we call upon the Bush-Cheney ticket to offer their support for this multi-partisan effort as well," said Cobb Media Director Blair Bobier. more

Green Party Presidential Candidate Seeks Federal Court Jurisdiction in New Ohio Recount Case
November 30, 2004: Attorneys for Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb asked a federal court today to take jurisdiction of, and ultimately dissolve, a temporary restraining order issued by a Delaware County, Ohio judge attempting to prevent Cobb from seeking a recount of the presidential ballots cast in that county. "This is an illegal and outrageous attempt to suppress our rights to participate in the democratic process. As a candidate, I have a right under Ohio law to demand a recount. If the Delaware County Board of Elections has a problem with that, they need to take it up with the Ohio legislature," said David Cobb. more

Cobb Files for Recounts in New Mexico and Nevada
November 29, 2004: David Cobb, the 2004 Green Party presidential candidate, today filed official requests for a recount of the presidential ballots cast in New Mexico and Nevada. As he did in Ohio, Cobb filed the requests jointly with Libertarian candidate Michael Badnarik. more

All Press Releases

News Articles
November 29, 2004, Providence (R.I.) Journal (Editorial)
David Cobb: America needs a recount in Ohio
Excerpt: "Something went seriously wrong in Ohio on Election Day. On Nov. 13 and 15, hearings conducted by the Ohio Election Protection Coalition in Columbus featured oral and written testimony from a number of voters, poll workers, precinct judges and legal observers... Those who testified told stories of the obstruction and disqualification of legitimate voters, malfunctioning computer voting machines, and prohibitively long lines for too few machines." more

November 28, 2004, San Francisco Chronicle
by Wyatt Buchanan, Chronicle Staff Writer
Skepticism Spawns Broad Effort to Push Voting Reform
Excerpt: "The 2004 election — arguably the most scrutinized ever held in the United States -- has spotlighted problems with the voting process that are decades old and long overlooked. Voter intimidation, disenfranchisement, fairness, partisanship of election officials and several other issues are getting the most attention in Ohio, where two lawsuits were filed Friday contesting the counting of provisional ballots and the overall results." more

November 24, 2004, Boston Globe, by Rick Klein
Federal Office to Probe Vote Procedures
Excerpt: "The US Government Accountability Office is launching an investigation in response to allegations of voting irregularities that emerged in the aftermath of the Nov. 2 election, marking the first response by the federal government to concerns about the vote that have swirled around the Internet over the past three weeks." more

All News Articles

Blogs & Online Opinion
November 29, 2004, Bloggerman
by Keith Olbermann of MSNBC's Countdown
It's Alive — It's Alive
Excerpt: "The Cincinnati Post Saturday quoted Chairman Tim Burke of the Hamilton County Board of Elections as saying that approximately 400 of the 3,000 provisional ballots invalidated in his jurisdiction were thrown out for an extraordinary reason. In some cases, one polling place served more than one voting precinct — and though they were in the correct building, voters were disqualified because they got in the wrong line. "400 voters were in the right place," Burke says, "but not at the right table." The newspaper says Burke plans to object to those disqualifications when Hamilton County meets Tuesday to certify its vote." more

http://www.recountohio.org/blog/archives/00000017.html

http://blog.democrats.com/ohio-recount

http://www.sierratimes.com/04/11/11/Presidential_Candidates_To_Demand_Ohio_Recount.htm

http://www.ohiodems.org/index.php?display=ReleaseDetails&id=202416
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad Nevada to the mess. We have a judge who is deciding if he can progress on a suit filed to prevent the awarding of the 5 electoral votes.
I read this in our paper today.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Nov-30-Tue-2004/news/25371487.html
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the Bush campaign start filing for recounts in all the Blue states and listen to the outcry then Shocked
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lew. If "all of the votes are counted", including absentee
and provisional ballots, there is a better chance that one of the close
blue states would flip rather than Ohio. The Dems would have a fit
if that were to happen.
Fphamm
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Let the Bush campaign start filing for recounts in all the Blue states and listen to the outcry then Shocked

Lets see here, in Ohio, its sKerry whining about losing, and in Washington state, its Chrissy whining about losing twice, and saying that ll votes should count. As I see it, its all votes count as long as they are for the Democratic party, or should I say for Chrissy....
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Yes I believe Wisconsin went blue by the margin of fraud. Just in Milwaukee County alone. They found hundreds of registrations that came from non existing addresses.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Einstein's definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. Whats this say about the Dems and all their recounts?
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAFE5 wrote:

Quote:
Ad Nevada to the mess. We have a judge who is deciding if he can progress on a suit filed to prevent the awarding of the 5 electoral votes.
I read this in our paper today.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Nov-30-Tue-2004/news/25371487.html

Could someone please, if possible, post the article. For some reason my pc won't load this page, so I can't read the article. Crying or Very sad

BTW: Where are the Republicans in this? I see where [Democrat] lawyers are mentioned, but not a word about Republican lawyers. Am I over looking it??

Why aren't we demanding recounts in "blue" (stolen) states???

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Admin note: Please refrain from derogatory remarks about an antire political party
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION RESULTS: Judge considers challenge

Bush's victory in Nevada called invalid

By SCOTT SONNER
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

RENO -- A judge intends to decide today whether to allow a legal challenge to move forward aimed at blocking Nevada's five electoral votes from being cast next month for President Bush.

Washoe County District Judge Peter Breen said Monday he's considering setting an evidentiary hearing to determine whether there are grounds to keep the votes from Bush, who carried Nevada by 21,500 votes, because of allegations of voter registration fraud and claims some voting machines malfunctioned.

Breen said he'd issue a written ruling today on a motion to dismiss the case based in part on arguments that it is a moot point given that Bush won nationally by a margin of 34 electoral votes, 286-252. He heard lawyers' arguments on the matter for about 2 1/2 hours Monday.

The Nevada Supreme Court formally canvassed the vote last week, and Secretary of State Dean Heller, a Republican, certified the results.

"The train has left the station, and the results could not possibly change," said Rew Goodenow, a lawyer representing the five Republican electors scheduled to cast Nevada's votes Dec. 13.

"The winner in this election has been declared under the laws of the state of Nevada," he told Breen in urging the case be thrown out.

"Elections have one endearing and wonderful quality: the quality of finality. At some point, the election has to be final. This one is, and the court ought not meddle with that," Goodenow said.

Breen acknowledged "the issue of mootness" was an important question.

"As the electoral vote stands, there is no way this court can affect the outcome," he said.

But Jeff Dickerson, a Reno lawyer representing those contesting the election results, said that even if Nevada's electoral votes don't impact the national election, "it does make a difference to Nevada."

"President Bush is claiming he has a mandate, and included in that is that the state of Nevada stood behind him. Even if Nevada's five electoral votes will not change the election, it does have an impact on whether Nevada is part of that mandate," Dickerson said.

`If there are disenfranchised voters who were illegally disenfranchised ... then those voters are not having their will voiced," he said.

Rick Newell Davis of Minden filed the formal contest of the election results earlier this month. He said thousands of Nevadans may have been denied the right to vote Nov. 2 because of registration problems and should still be allowed to cast ballots.

The challenge names the GOP electors as defendants. They are Joe Brown and Milton Schwartz of Las Vegas, John Marvel of Battle Mountain, Bev Willard of Carson City and Paul Willis of Pahrump.

Both major parties elect their party's electors at their state conventions before the election, and the winning party's electors are bound by state law to cast the electoral votes for the candidate who carried Nevada.

Davis said many Nevadans were deprived of the right to vote as a result of activities by a voter registration organization financed by the Republican National Committee.

Some former workers for Voter Outreach of America, operated by Sproul and Associates of Phoenix, who registered voters in Nevada and other battleground states have alleged they were told to register only Republicans and to ignore pro-John Kerry people. Some said that completed Democratic registration forms were thrown out or ripped up.

The head of the company, Nathan Sproul, has denied any wrongdoing.

ask and you shall receive
God and Country
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE MUST RESERVE THE RIGHT NOT TO TOLERATE THE INTOLERANT TOLLERANT

PRESIDENT BUSH WON. GET OVER IT. PRESIDENT BUSH WON. GET OVER IT.

God bless America.

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, USAFE5! Very Happy

I don't know what goes on with my pc, but sometimes I can't open pages, and do other things. That's one of the downfalls of having a pc that is almost 5 years old.

Quote from the article:

Quote:
`If there are disenfranchised voters who were illegally disenfranchised ... then those voters are not having their will voiced," he said.

The very big word here is "If"!!

Seems to me tha this lawyer is trying to argue a case based upon a "possibility"; and, of course, anything is "possible."

In the final analysis, I heard Judge Napalitano and other lawyers say that it is NOT the responsibility of any party or organization to deliver any voters registrations. That is, they stated that being properly registered to vote is always the responsibility of the voter, regardless of whether they "registered through an organization".

Quite frankly, I don't want MY vote watered down or disenfranchised by "voters" who do not know how to make sure they are properly registered and/or who do not know how to caste a vote.

If they don't know how to do anything so elementary as registering to vote and casting a ballot, then I question whether they should be voting at all.

I also see the democrat's argument as based upon the premises "blame someone else first" and everything is always "someone else's fault".

Please let us know how the judge rules.

Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked

Edited by Admin
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose they will keep this up until after the inauguration. I guess that they think some miracle is going to occur and they wil find out it was only a bad dream after all, and that John Kerry really did win. (a la Michael Moore)...

Maria
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of all this, if they want to call the red states Jesusland, maybe the blue states need to renamed. Fantasyland would be about right.
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if the Dems get 200,000 votes in Ohio and get the electoral votes, Kerry would still not overcome Bush in the overall nations count. So, Kerry would be an illegitimate President, by their own definition that they have applied to Bush for the last 4 years...

I think that citizens in Ohio should sue those demanding a recount for the FULL cost of the recount.... not their tax $$....

There is no proof of fraud or real problems, so no need for the taxpayers to foot the bill....

Would the Dems like some cheese with that whine???
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summary of provisional ballots count - UPDATED 12/2/04

Note: 88 of 88 counties have reported.

Current % of provisionals being counted: 79%
Current "additional" vote count:
Bush +61,505
Kerry +79,482

Difference: Kerry+17,977

This includes absentee, and vote correction from all errors found and will likely be the final vote total ratified by sec of state in OH.
Final Bush Win = 118,506
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: