SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: December 7 Reply with quote

December 7

63 years ago this day we were attacked by the Japanese at Peaarl
72 years ago this day RogerRaabbit was born

Quite a day
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Pearl Harbor, Remember 9/11! Never Again!
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: December 7 Reply with quote

RogerRabbit wrote:
December 7

Quite a day

Happy Natal day Roger
dldc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Roger Rabbit.

Do you have any remembrance of this day 63 years ago?
My Father told the story of being up on the roof shingling our
house at the time. You were just a youngster and probably
remember gifts and party?
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: December 7 Reply with quote

[quote="RogerRabbit"]December 7

Quite a day[/quote]

Happy B-day Roger!
on this day 31 years ago, Blue 9t3 went back to being a civilian.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dldc wrote:
Happy Birthday Roger Rabbit.

Do you have any remembrance of this day 63 years ago?
My Father told the story of being up on the roof shingling our
house at the time. You were just a youngster and probably
remember gifts and party?

At the time, I was still in Canada (Windsor - across from Detroit) and Canada had already been involved in WWII for two years, But I do remember my aunt that lived in Detroit asking if Pearl Harbor which was attacked was any relation to Ann Arbor (a city just west of Detroit and home of UofM) and I do remember all the radio stations etc reporting on it.

Gifts and parties were only a dream for us, but my mother was always sure to bake each one of her kids a cake. At the time there were only 3 of 11 still at home, the rest were already in the military. The youngest came along in 1943 - and on June 6, another rather famous day
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy birthday

and a salute to those who lost their lives on the day which will forevermore live in infamy.
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: 7-41 Reply with quote

I wonder which MSM channel will be first this evening to blame US imperialism for the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombing .
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: December 7 Reply with quote

RogerRabbit wrote:
December 7

Quite a day

My remembrances of that day are quite clear. I was 11 and we were living in my hometown of National City, California (suburb of San Diego). My mother had gotten up early to go to her clerking job at the local drug store. My dad and I had lazily slept-in and hadn't turned on the old Philco floor model radio.

About 10:00 AM, Dad and I started our customary Sunday walk through the neighborhood to the drug store for brunch at the soda fountain counter. (How different drug stores were in 1941!) As we approached the store, we noticed sailors running from all directions, heading for the bus stop at the corner where the drug store was located. Curious, we thought. When we got to the bus stop, the buzz was on about the event at Pearl. The guys were scrambling to get to their ships.

Things got intense in the days following. A Japanese submarine surfaced off the coast at Carpinteria and threw a couple of deck gun shells at a small oil pipeline valve yard, doing little damage. Blackouts were put into effect immediately. Dad had to tape down the Ford's headlights to little slits for night driving. He soon gave that up - too hazardous.

The big coast defense rifles on Point Loma entered into almost constant practice firing. Our neighborhood was soon populated with three different aircraft defense installations. There were searchlights, listening 'ears', and anti-aircraft artillery batteries. I was the envy of all my friends when an AA battery was plunked down in the vacant lot next to our house. My mom took the crew an occasional hot meal, usually based on meatloaf since most all meat except hamburger soon vanished from the stores. The grateful guys on the gun crew gave my mom coffee which they somehow had in great supply, and we had none.

Exciting days for an 11-year old; worrisome for the adults. But all people pulled together for a common cause. No ACLU, no Dan Rather, no Michael Moore, no Republicans or Democrats. Just all of us against 'them'.

Sorry for the boring reminiscences. It never fails to come back on this anniversary, along with sadness that our nation's people are constantly being told by the Left to lose the collective will to do what's right.

Schadow

EDIT: Almost forgot. Happy Birthday, RogerRabbit!

Last edited by Schadow on Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROGER!!!

I too am a former Canadian, transplanted to Michigan 37 years ago.
I live about 30 miles NW of "Liberaltown" Ann Arbor.

I am so proud to live in the USA, the greatest nation on earth!
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on this day 31 years ago, Blue 9t3 went back to being a civilian.

on this day today, my baby boy Gil spends his first full day
at Parris Island.

(Got a recorded call last night stating they arrived safely.)

Going to go get memories from four sisters who remember '41.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different times indeed, I wish I had had a crystal ball so I could see what would happen to that 400 lb. pile of hamburger goo mike moore back in those days? most likely it would of been the worlds largest blanket party! Shocked

Or should I say tent party? Wink
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 83 year old Aunt Jean... She's a hoot.

"Herb and I were married on Nov. 20. We were living in the attic bedroom
at his parents' house, and had taken the streetcar into downtown Cleveland to go to a movie, and I never have remembered which one.

When we came out, the street was full of people reading a moving sign on a building and crying and yelling. We stayed there for awhile, until it became just too much, so we caught a car and went home. His parents weren't watching yet ( Did we have TV yet ? ) nor did they have the radio on, so we were the ones who told them. That's the way I remember Dec. 7

Herb left for Camp Atterbury, Ind. on a date I don't recall, in Sept. I
had become pregnant by then but we didn't know it. I saw Herb just one
more time in the next 4 years."

(I remember hearing that Uncle Herb received a Red Cross telegram, telling him of the birth of the baby. He received another shortly thereafter, when the baby died. They eventually had three other children. He was stricken with polio, and never held a baby until his old age, when he held my third child, a daughter...but he held his own in his arms on the day that he died.)(He was on an island, Balik?, where his job was to pick up body parts from the daisy cutters. We have a candlestick that they made from bullet cartidges to pass the time.)
Al_Hawaii
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my wife and I went to Pearl Harbor for the Dec 7th ceremony. We have done it every year for 3 years since we moved here and will do it as long as we can.

All I can say is God Bless the men and women who went through that day, and that war. And God Bless the men and women who have served our great country in war and peace (what little there has been) since then. This is the greatest country on this earth and I am so greatful my wife and I have been able to serve it.

Leslie,
US Army 1980-2002

Viet Nam 71/72
Persian Gulf 90/91
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to get one of the flags that were flown over the USS Arizona on the 50th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. It has become my most treasured mementos of my time in the military and I am inspired each time I look at it folded neatly in its’ Koa wood case. It came with a presentation certificate with a place to inscribe a name, but it didn’t seem right to put mine or anyone else’s, so I left it blank and somehow that seems fitting.

I thank God every time I look at it that I had men much like these watching my back over the years willing to sacrifice all for the Nation we love. The troops today with their young faces and eyes that make them look so much older, are cut from the same cloth as these brave Sailors we honor each year on December 7th and thousands of their brothers of World War II, Korea and Vietnam who sacrificed all to protect our way of life.

Thank God for our troops and thank God I am an American.

Independent that leans right of center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: