SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TIME & NEWSWEEK PUT KIBOSH ON CHRISTMAS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: TIME & NEWSWEEK PUT KIBOSH ON CHRISTMAS! Reply with quote

Eliminating CHRISTmas has become a mania for the liberal
leftists in this country!!!

I am so disgusted. I have looked all
over for gift wrap with the religious connotation of CHRISTmas.
Every year I wrap Christmas gifts in paper denoting the true reason
for the gifts and celebration--Joy to the World, Noel, Angels on High,
Nativity Scene, Star of Bethlehem, etc.

This year it is not to be found!
I have spent endless time in many stores searching through bins of
Christmas wrap, I cannot find a roll of CHRISTmas paper anywhere.

Do these religious bigots really believe they can convince the
American people that the Bible is wrong about Jesus' birth???

I think not!!

Quote:

"This may be unwelcome "news" to most Americans. A Newsweek poll found that
55% of Americans believe every word in the Bible is literally true,
67% believe the entire Christmas story is literally true
and 79% believe Jesus was born to the Virgin Mary with no human father."

Read story at:

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/259410p-222141c.html
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think big business like Walmart, Target and so on would promote Christmas as we know it, since they all rely on it for a big shot in the arm of their revenues for the year.
Newspapers and magazines also make a killing the last 2 months of the year with "Christmas ads".
They politically correctly call it "holiday season" like they don't know which holiday.
And it seems like they are all on the same page:
DO AWAY WITH CHRISTMAS, BUT NOT CHRISTMAS PROFITS!
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of that is new; people have been trying to debunk the nativity story for generations. As for those distinguished "scholars" that Time quotes; how much you wanna bet that a lot of them are affliated with The Jesus Seminar.

You know that group, don't you? That's the group that meets to find out which scriptures in the Bible they believe to be true, and to find it out, they literally roll dice. At least that's the story I've heard. By this method they have decided tnat 90 % of the Bible is pure bunk.

In other words, Time magazine is taking the word of some ultraliberal theologians and printing them as gospel truth. People who call themselves Christians, and yet deny the basic tenets of Christianity as put forth in both theApostle's Creed and the Nicene Creed, ought to be ashamed of themselves. In fact, they ought not to call themselves Christians.

But, don't be faint-hearted. The Bible does quote Jesus as saying that if a person denied His existence before man, He would deny that individual before His Father. I take liberal theologians with a grain of salt, having gone to a liberal private Catholic university.

When it came time for me to take the course having to do with the study of the Bible, I used to drive the poor priest/professor nuts because I would ask him some very awkward questions...grin

Maria
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that same vein, I dispise the use of "X-Mas"; its a not so subltle way of "Xing" out Christ from Christmas. I personally also select my Christmas cards based on the message, ie. cards that say "Happy Holidays" or otherwise remove Christ are left on the store shelf. This year's card says outside Merry Christmas and features lines from "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and the inside message is "May that Christmas Star lead you into God's Presence and guide you into the light of His grace always- Have a Blessed Christmas."
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this from recent experience but I'm pretty sure if you looked in your local Bible book store (call your local baptist church for directions) you'll find Christian-themed cards and wrapping paper.

Caveat: this info is based on intelligence from 30 years ago.

I wish you a merry anonymous holiday we don't mention by name anymore, and a happy new year.'

Say, that could be a catchy tune.....
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are not always as they seem.
Merry Xmas +

http://www.bartleby.com/61/80/X0008000.html
SYLLABICATION: X·mas
PRONUNCIATION: krsms, ksms
NOUN: Christmas.
ETYMOLOGY: From X, the Greek letter chi, first letter of Greek Khrstos, Christ. See Christ.
USAGE NOTE: Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of , “Christ.” In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, “Christian.” But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening pronounced (ksms). Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas.

Personal note: The X is also symbolic of St. Andrew's saltire (cross). His crucifixtion took place on an X cross.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the centuries there have been more wars because of religion than any other reason. That’s because most people’s beliefs are so strong they are willing to fight and die for it.
That is something the Anti-Christs in this country have not found out yet!
But guess what? Christmas IS coming.
JimRobson
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother, That all makes sense, but I would have a hard time convincing Sr. Mary Terese my 3rd grade teacher. Wink She said if you used Merry Xmas, you were definitely going to Hell. I don't think she was up to speed on her Greek.

http://www.thewebplace.com/
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Jim!!

I remember them telling me the same thing.

Ah, those nuns could scare the living sh**t out of us couldn't they?
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, you two nuts.
If I sign my post "Mother" SUPERIOR, they'd believe it.
: )

I believe you about the nuns...you heard about the little NY catholic 2nd grade girls who got tired of the pedophile exposing himself and beat the crap out of him with their Mary Janes, didn't ya? One's gotta wonder about those nuns!

Bet their parents all voted against Kerry, too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: