SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OCS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swiftvetfan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: OCS Reply with quote

I just graduated from the University of Texas in December, and I've been really looking into going into OCS. I always thought I was going directly to law school, but I'm not really sure I want to go right back to school for three more years. I think OCS would be a challenge, and it would be great to get the chance to serve my country. I had some questions about OCS, and I thought yall might have some good advice.
My only problem going into OCS is that I'm colorblind (red-green). I found out in high school that colorblind people can't go to the Naval Academy, but I wasn't sure if it was the same for the Navy OCS. Also, do the other branches (Army, Air Force, etc) have the same rule on color blindness?
Even though my entire family has been in the Navy for years, I was going to look into Army OCS also. I've heard that Navy OCS is over-crowded, and that the Army is really looking for people. I wouldn't mind going where I can be the most help, so I'd be fine going into the Army instead. I know that a lot of people on here are Navy, but I was going to see if anyone knows some of the advantages/disadvantages of doing the Army.
I was also wondering what are some good ways to get ready for OCS. It seems like it would be a good idea to make sure to get in good physical shape before you get there, and I also figured it would be good to memorize some of the important stuff before I get there.
I've definitely been thinking a lot about doing OCS, and I'd appreciate any advice y'all have.
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice...go Corps!

: )
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know how the color-blindness would affect OCS, but I wanted
to agree with Mother that the USMC are the best! Since they have an
association with the Navy, you would be following your family tradition.
You might also end up here in Jacksonville, NC, where I live. It is
the home of Camp Lejeune, the largest amphbious military base in
the world.

I also wanted to tell you how much I admire you for considering a
pathway that might eventually put you in harm's way. It might also
help you achieve your goal of becoming a lawyer since the USMC
might well pay for you to go if they happen to need lawyers at the
time. If not, you would have the GI bill to help pay for law school
once your military service is complete.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmorton wrote:
I do not know how the color-blindness would affect OCS, but I wanted
to agree with Mother that the USMC are the best! Since they have an
association with the Navy, you would be following your family tradition.
You might also end up here in Jacksonville, NC, where I live. It is
the home of Camp Lejeune, the largest amphbious military base in
the world.

I also wanted to tell you how much I admire you for considering a
pathway that might eventually put you in harm's way. It might also
help you achieve your goal of becoming a lawyer since the USMC
might well pay for you to go if they happen to need lawyers at the
time. If not, you would have the GI bill to help pay for law school
once your military service is complete.

Seconded. I advised my nephew when he wanted to go, to go Marines. Dad was career AF, Grandpa was Army, I was Army. We needed a Marine and he loves it. He is also a damn good Marine.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Naval Academy will admit you with colorlindness. They'll just tell you you can never be a boat driver or pilot and you'l have to adjust your career path expectations. Whichever service you join you'll be denied any position where color discrimination is critical. I'ld bet Navy Legal Services would be happy to have you.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, I naturally applaud your choice. I wish I could be of more help to you, but as I have been out of the regular Navy since 1971, and retired from the reserves in 1988, I have been out of the loop for way too long to know what the requirements are nowadays.
I do, however, participate in another forum comprised of active, reserve, and retired CPO's. It is a members only site, but if you will email me with your particulars, I'd bet I could hook you up with someone with recruiting experience who could provide you with the answers you need.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh, I might be a bit biased but the Marines are the best. But you gotta be able to hack the physical part.... it's not the easy road.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do not know if the Army considers color blindness as a factor for officers.

Having served in the Army for 8 years, I am naturally prejudiced in the Army's favor. My advice is to check out all the services and what they can offer you, then decide. I did that and chose Army, and I've never regretted it. My recruiter lied (gee, how many people say THAT in the military?), and I ended up enlisted. By the time I found I could be an officer, I said "no thanks." Enlisted get to choose their jobs. Officers get stuck where the Army needs you. Hope you like being a pop-up target, sir.

The most important advice I can give you if you go to Organized Chicken Sh*t in ANY branch is to ignore the LIE they tell you about the enlisted being all losers and dumbsh*ts.

I always laugh when I recall the green 2LT who was my XO at Fort Bragg. He bought the OCS crap about enlisted, and it showed in his attitude. I set him straight and he finally got it. We had enlisted in our platoon who had BA and BS degrees, but who chose to be enlisted. It beat his ROTC and basket weaving degree from the University of BumFu** Missouri.

My info is over 20 years old and I expect things have gotten better. Whatever branch you go into understand this key fact. Your NCOs (E5, E6, E7) will keep you alive if you are smart enough to understand that experienced guys know more than you do on the first week (month?) in the service. Whatever branch you go into don't get blinded by that shiny **** on your collar. Your first six months of service you are primarily just good for a target. If you are exceptionally bright and committed you might be useful after six months.

At that point you can start making a positive difference as a leader. Remember your PRIMARY job/task/"reason for taking our oxygen" is to watch out for your troops. If you do that well they will watch your back.

Otherwise, you're just punching a ticket until you get the mandatory lobotomy when you make O4. After that you have no hope of ever being useful to the soldiers under your command or the taxpayers paying your salary (And yes, we really are cheap sons of b*****s).

If you go OCS you can try to set the example and fix whatever problems are currently afflicting our military. You will see some and hear about others. After nearly 20 years out of costume, the officers I remember are the ones who put their soldiers first and actively tried to make things better. Black, white, striped or plaid, male or female. It doesn't matter as long as they can do their job and they put their troops first. That is ALL that is important.

This advice is worth what you paid for it, but you made the mistake of asking.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.seal.navy.mil/seal/pdf/eyeswaiver.pdf
http://www.seal.navy.mil/swcc/req_vision.asp

The Navy will gladly accept the person, but they will more-than-likely not allow the person to be in a position where color vision is mandatory.
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an OCS graduate.

IB Squidly, et al are correct, you can go to OCS w/ color blindness, but you are prohibited from any profession that depends upon the ability to discriminate colors. PM me for more info.
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: