SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumsfeld grilled by troops
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Rumsfeld grilled by troops Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,140858,00.html

I am curious particularly to here from vets what they think about the idea of a soldier in a time of war basically criticizing the secretary of defense in a public forum. I have my own thoughts about this, but I will keep them to myself until I here from you guys and gals. Who knows? I might decide to change my mind.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if Rummy wanted a ***** session with the troops he got one. It doesn't sound like a scripted question. Rummy had the grace to have it clearly repeated and gave a no nonsense response. Most commanders would have demanded name and unit and then the command master chief/sgt would have gotten into it. I still think it will show up on his evaluations. His own CO refuted him.

As to HumVees? They were originally contracted as general purpose utility transportation. Armor was for APCs and the Bradley. Conversly the Bradley was never intended for general transport. Conditions change and you learn to make do. This reserve AF mechanic making his first trip to Iraq seems alarmed at the unknown. Is he planning on Sunday drives?

During the Tanker War in the Gulf we found we had nothing to stop open, highspeed, fiberglass launches loaded with explosives (an Arab favorite). The Navy issued us a quad 50 and shoulder fired rockets which were waiting for us in Yoko' 5 months later. Likewise when the USS Roberts hit a mine in the Gulf the Navy realized it had no sweepers in service. A crash building program commissioned its first ship 18 months later.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not only fighting Iraqi terrorists but also state sponsored Iranian and Syrian terrorists. The more we kill the more show up with weapons and explosives.
We must concentrate on the borders; seal the borders with low flying helicopters and drones.
Anyone coming through should be shot, if in a vehicle, blow it to hell. Leave a handful of checkpoints for legal commerce, manned by the military.
Within a month the violence in Iraq will subside.
IF we are going to win we must go ALL-OUT.
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw nothing wrong or disrespectful with any questions posed to Donald Rumsfeld.

The United States has something most other countries do not have, an ALL VOLUNTEER FORCE. That in and of itself makes the US military very unique and , I might add, very professional.

Our leaders in Washington owe it to these young soldiers to answer all of the questions they may have, regardless.

The profession of arms is a very noble calling and we owe these young soldiers a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid.

Just my 2 cents.

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
scotty61
LCDR

The MSM is clapping it's hands with glee that Rumsfield got told of by one his troops. They're even playing up the angle that the guy is going to be punished. What they should be doing is noting, that we've got a Sec Def that is not afraid to let a trooper voice an unpopular view without fear of punishment. But that would be giving a fair and balanced report.
The Waco Kid
Seaman Recruit

From LittleGreenFootballs:

Here’s the perspective of a soldier who was there: Sgt. Missick, A Line In The Sand

Quote:
Today was one of the days throughout this deployment that I will remember the rest of my life.  It was an opportunity to meet one of the key architects in the War on Terror, and a man whom I personally admire.  Secretary Donald Rumsfeld stood before about 2,300 soldiers today on what was a fairly cool and overcast morning, and spoke to us about our place in history, the difficult job we have before us, and the thankfulness that the American people hold in their hearts for everyone deployed in the Global War on Terror.

We found out last week that the Secretary of Defense would be coming to one of the area’s camps, and that we might have the opportunity to attend the address he would make.  Fortunately, my contingent took volunteers and five of us boarded a bus and headed to the location where we would have the opportunity to listen to and even meet Mr. Rumsfeld.  It was indeed a great speech, and like Victorino Matus in the Wall Street Journal Opinion pages today, drew parallels to what occurred on December 8, 1941 as America entered WWII.  The Secretary spoke about how the Germans and the Japanese underestimated the resolve of America’s finest, but that the men and women in uniform performed magnificently.  Mr. Matus too, made the same parallels stating:

“It all has a familiar ring to it. The enemy believes that it takes only a taste of real war, followed by a few casualties, to send Americans running home with their tails between their legs. The American president, weighed down by public opinion, will then be forced to make concessions and abandon the field.

Sixty years ago, Adolf Hitler had exactly such thoughts. He launched a devastating offensive in Western Europe in the hope that he could weaken America's willingness to fight and thus splinter the Allies, leaving him free to deal with the Soviet Union...

The Nazis at first perceived the American soldier to be "a gum-chewing spoiled brat." Instead they faced an adversary willing to stand his ground. The 394th's I&R platoon played a pivotal role in slowing the German advance--a delay that would prove costly. "We knew it weren't no little thing," said Sgt. George Redmond. "But I figured if I'd gotten that far, I'd get the rest of the way. You only have to go when your time comes." America's enemies would do well not to underestimate this sense of courage and duty.”

The rest of this article can be read here.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the press is playing this drives me nuts, trying to portray
it as rebellion in the ranks.
Rummy was open to questions, and answered it well. Explained it
was not a matter of expense, the money is there.
Said the problem is in the manufacturing. I would have liked for him
to explain how the downsiizing and neglect of the previous
administration has caused the problem. From what I have read,
the armoring is not ordinary steel. It is a specialized product that
is not just laying around in a warehouse waiting for the army to order it.
The suppliers for many military needs dried up years ago as the
military budget was slashed.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Shawa. The Democrats were in such a lather to get their "Peace Dividend" after the cold war they never gave a rat's a$$ about future military needs. Plants that supplied the military retooled to make other products and now the Dems can't understand why they can't just go out and get more. Some must think that armor plating is delivered by the tooth fairy.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the interaction between Rumsfeld and the troops as a grand victory for democracy.

The more the MSM plays it up the better. Our audience is Main Stream Iraqi society and this same larger demographic throughout the Arab/Muslim sphere.

America is the greatest most egalitarian society ever developed. A G-I at the bottom of the totem pole gets to stand up at a Globally televised press conference and Ardently and pointedly query his #2 boss. The only man outranking Rumsfeld for a GI is the Commander In Chief.

Here in this great land the very highest ranking man can be questioned by the very lowest ranking man. Later the GI is not Executed or tortured.... he is played up as somewhat of a 'hero' for the liberal press.

This is The most important message we can send about what and who Americans are. The more the press plays it up the better. I sense the general public is already familiar with the non- credibility of broadcast journalism.

How many Iraqi's do you think have witnessed people being paid to act out some street theater protest for the benefit of some Western Media outlet?

I think quite a few.

I'm proud of the soldier's who spoke up and I was most favorably impressed with the 'Donald's' response.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile Lets all keep thinking about a solution to the problem at hand.

Our boys and girls getting hit by IED's .

We got to put a stop to it.
The Waco Kid
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
I would have liked for him
to explain how the downsizing and neglect of the previous
administration has caused the problem.

I would like to see that, too. One thing that this administration has resisted doing (unless I've missed it) is to publicly point the finger at the previous administration for many problems we face now. I couldn't blame them if they did, but I guess they've elected to take the high road. Finger-pointing sounds so......Democratic.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush is on this like stink on sh*t.
Edward Lee Pitt from a Chattanoga paper planted the question.
The Waco Kid
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Edward Lee Pitt from a Chattanoga paper planted the question.

More on this from The Drudge Report
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this report is true, and it wouldn't suprise me if it was, it shows the dispicable level that the press has sunk to. To use the troops to take a hit at the Sec Def just so you can score points with your MSM buddies is an abuse of the trust that was given in embedding you. But then a cat in heat has more ethics than some reporters.
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first saw this news clip on TV, I was taken aback a bit by the line of questioning from a soldier in the field, but Rumsfeld did ask for questions and the guy supposedly asked one.

But when I saw that a reporter planted the question, and did all he could to ensure his plant was able to ask the question, the story took on an entirely new angle.

It's an underhanded and dishonest way to get a "story", and smacks of being a highly unethical action by anyone, much less a supposed unbiased reporter. Creating your own controversy to get publicity is akin to what professional wrestlers do to promote the latest Wrestlemania event.

The embedded "reporter" should be shipped back to Chattanooga, with someone's boot up his ass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: